First Curve... thoughts on numbers?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by BethB, Mar 8, 2019.

1. BethB

BethB Member

Riker had a few days where he dipped down into the double digits/greens, so the vet asked us to do a curve. Although I've been testing multiple times a day since his diagnosis, this was our first curve. I fed him a couple of small meals throughout the day, as I would normally.

Would love to know what you all think of the numbers (so I can compare it to what the vet says!)

AMPS: 484 (Tested, fed then shot 1u)
    +1: 591 (I assume this is higher because of the food)
    +2: 479
    +3: 313
    +4: 217
    +5: 147
    +6: 126
    +7: 164
    +8: 238
    (The vet said it was ok to stop one the numbers started going back up, though I'll still test PMPS of course)

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Overall, that's a lovely curve! Quite textbook for prozinc. It looks like you'll need to do some increases though. While the curve is great, the duration is still quite short. The increases will hopefully start to give you longer duration, which in turn brings those PS numbers down. However, because the change between PS and nadir is already quite steep, you'll need to be careful and change in small increments. So if your vet tells you to increase a full unit, please please don't do it! :)

Rachel likes this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That is definitely a nice curve! You're getting some good action from the insulin, though the numbers aren't where you want them yet. I agree that you'll want to do small, careful increases and definitely not by full units!

4. BethB

BethB Member

Thanks @Djamila and @Rachel! I agree on small increases. Haven't heard back from the vet yet, but this morning I just pulled the syringe plunger to the bottom of the 1u line rather than the top. Today's numbers have already been better (stayed lower for longer) but the real test will be his PMPS, which is coming up in about 30 minutes.

Rachel likes this.