Finally was able to get blood and test showed 361

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Area4, Aug 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Area4

Area4 New Member

He still hasn't had insulin yet, and im wondering if 361 on the Relion Premere is dangerously high? He was tested at 7:30am just before he ate his breakfast.

2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

What insulin are you on?

361 is definitely a shootable number. Is that what you’re asking? It’s not dangerously high that would be 500 and over. 361 is not ideal but also not terrible

Area4 likes this.
  3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It would be great if you could set up your signature so we have a bit more info about your cat when replying. Here’s the link with instructions for that:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

Make sure your signature is up-to-date.
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Thank you!

jt and trouble (GA) and Area4 like this.
  4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

From his first thread, it is vetsulin.

5. Area4

Area4 New Member

Thanks guys, i will work on my signature tomorrow because i just got off work. He is supposed to be on Vetsulin but my wife stop his dosage after a couple days of being diagnosed.

The cat is a male and his name is Smitty. 20200828_220236.jpg

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Can I ask why you stopped the insulin? It’s not wise to do that with diabetic cats. Was there a reason?

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

How are you all getting on?

Mogs

8. Area4

Area4 New Member

Its been touch and go. The first day i tested him on the 30th, it was 361, the second day was 363. I was finally able to get my wife to give him insulin yesterday and this morning his test showed 415. She gave him insulin 3 units at 3:30PM and his test at 8:30PM showed 208.

He's been eating a low carb Friskies pate diet, but he hasn't pooped in two days. I do wonder if his test got messed up because the first couple of strips failed and everytime i got blood he would shake his head real hard and blow it away. There was some yelling and wrestling involved and when i finally got a successful blood drop, we were both pretty upset.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  9. Red & Rover (GA)

Insert the strip only partway into the meter.
    Get the blood drop onto a clean fingernail before he shakes it away.
    Insert the strip the full way.
    Use the blood drop on your fingernail.

10. Area4

Area4 New Member

Im a guitar player so i wont be growing any finger nails. Usually the testing goes pretty smooth. I do it infront of his food dish before he eats. Its just that this time, the first try came up with an error (ether not enough blood or too thick.) On the second try i accidentally put the blood on the strip before turning the machine on.

It seems to be easier for me to just grab the meter and thumb on the button because i have to hold him so he doesn't shake his head and run away. It hasn't been easy for him because he's been eating Diamond Natural dry cat food for 9-years since he was a kitten. Also, all this poking and proding hasn't impressed him much ether. We also live in the woods so during the day he likes to take walks outside and hunt for mice and chipmunks, but we haven't been letting him out since this nightmare started; so he seems to be upset about that too.

11. Red & Rover (GA)

Whatever fingernails you have will work just fine.

12. Area4

Area4 New Member

Yesterday evening he seemed well so we did let him out for a bit, but he wasn't out back for more than a few minutes where he quickly caught a small mouse and gobbled it up. So i am wondering if thats why his blood suger was so high this morning.

13. Area4

Area4 New Member

Well, i guess i could try to grow a long finger nail on thumb, but like i said, i play guitar so my finger tips are fat and callused. Maybe i could try it with my right hand i suppose.

14. Red & Rover (GA)

My son plays. There are 7 guitars in the house. You should be able to get enough blood on the top of your nail (not necessarily the edge) to get a test.
    I've never seen it done but what about using a clean, specially designated, guitar pick?

15. Area4

Area4 New Member

I don't know, but i can try i suppose. Did your cat go into remission? Your spreadsheet hasn't been updated since 2016?

16. Red & Rover (GA)

He died of acute kidney disease. That's what the (GA) you see stands for. Gone Ahead or Guardian Angel. Just paying all the help and information I was given forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.