? FELV Leukaemia

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NadineTheodore, Mar 20, 2024.

1. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

Hello all,

My cat went through various testing to get answers for anemia. We added on PCR test, interestingly enough he tested negative on Elisa for Leukemia and positive on PCR. The thing is we are trying to figure out if this is a false positive and if not, what state is it in (abortive, regressive, progressive). Has anyone went through this (FELV)? I am surprised. Theodore is 9, not sure how he would have got it. I have 4 cats, now I am worried it could have been shed to the others as well.

We only had one new addition to the family (December 2022). No sicknesses or medical issues. However I did not realize rescue did not test for FIV/FELV, I was under the impression they did, I would have tested him myself had I known he was not. In any case, it says ELISA should show up positive after 28 days of invention which passed, it's odd it showed up negative. When we got Theodore in 2018, we ran the ELISA test which was negative for FELV, positive for FIV. Same as the repeat done last week.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Nadine. I've seen your posts over here, of course, and some of the ones on the CKD group as well. I'm sorry you are going through so much with Theodore. So are you saying that he is positive for FIV and negative for FeLV? I have at least a couple of FIV+ cats but I've never had a cat with feline leukemia. Or really it's just the concern and confusion between the Elisa and PCR tests on Theodore that you had run recently?

4. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

Hi @Suzanne & Darcy ,

He is 100% positive for FIV which I’m not concerned about.

FELV is what I was shocked about.
    last week we tested cbc then pcr anemia panel and results were:
    elisa test- negative
    PCR test- positive

in 2018 he was only Elisa tested and not positive for felv (same as this test). We never pursued the PCR test as I didn’t even know about it at the time.

to clarify I am concerned as I have 3 other resident cats which I worry about. None are sick but none had PCR tests either. Honestly I only did Elisa tests on 2 of them. The other one I thought the rescue did but I was told this morning they did not as he was not symptomatic and often there’s false results on elisa