Feeding time for ckd cat

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lmiller86, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Lmiller86

Lmiller86 Member

Hello! I just started my 18 year old Baby on ProZinc after being on novolin since October 2021. She has ckd and requires kidney formula food... High in carbs which makes diabetes extra annoying.

Anyways, her curve on the novolin was V-shaped and her bg dropped within an hour of giving insulin and feeding. On ProZinc, when doing a curve, I read at 6, feed, administer insulin at 6:30- 6:45. Her 2 hour and sometimes 3 hour readings actually are higher than preshot reading. Sometimes near 200 over! Like today... 393 at 6 am, 2 hours after feeding and insulin she is 548! Her nadir seems to be hour 7-9.

Should I adjust feeding or insulin time to get less of such an impact? Any advice is greatly appreciated! She's been on prozinc almost one week now.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi!

Glad to hear you switched to ProZinc.

There's a few things that will help us, if you could start here: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

It includes a signature with pertinent info, as well as getting a spreadsheet up and running. That spreadsheet is the easiest way for us to identify any trends. I can't speak to feeding times without having a few days' worth of data - but generally you want the largest meal to be at shot time, with 2-3 smaller snacks in each cycle (AM and PM). We try not to feed after nadir because the insulin is wearing off.

It's not uncommon for the +2/+3 to be flat or even a little higher - it could be a food bump, meter variance, what we call a bounce, or just an off day. Since she nadirs late, it's possible she onsets later (so she continues to rise past shot time, then the new shot kicks in, and she starts to come down)