Feeding ? and numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by StaceyA, May 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StaceyA

StaceyA New Member

So I think I’ve been doing something wrong in regards to feeding Zach. I’ve been so stressed out lately between his health issues, my other cat having problems and my daughter having health problems I feel like my brain is always spinning. I feed him in the AM before his insulin. He usually eats a 5.5 oz can. Sometimes a little less and I just leave it for him. I tried an automatic feeder to leave food when I’m at work but I never knew if he ate it or my other cat did. Then he started reacting to the plastic of the feeder so I stopped using it. I get home usually at 4-415 from work and have been giving him either some pate or some Dr Elseys chicken. I then do his PMPS at 630-7. He’s on Vetsulin. My question is, I read somewhere last night that said don’t feed after 4 hours of giving Vetsulin and if you do it should be chicken or 0 carb food and pull food two hours before PMPS. So clearly if I read that initially I forgot with my stress being crazy. Now I can’t find where I read it! So is that correct what I initially read? Or is it ok to feed him as long as it’s not two hours before test time? His numbers are usually lower before his PMPS and twice recently were within normal range and I didn’t need to give.
    I’m also curious how his numbers look to someone more experienced. I can’t usually test during the week but have tested more on the weekends when my schedule allows. Thanks for any input! His spread sheet is attached and should be able to be viewed.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m going to tag @FrostD as she is a vetsulin user

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

He's doing really well at this current dose! I'm always scared to open Vetsulin spreadsheets so this was a pleasant surprise.

Just be sure to keep grabbing tests around nadir when you can, day and night (they often go lower at night). He's very close to reduction point (90). Nadir is the lowest BG of the cycle - peak insulin activity - and appears to be around +4 for him (4 hours after shot).

So, feeding -
    You will want to feed the bulk of his food half an hour before giving his shot, this ensures he has some carbs onboard to help offset the harsh action of Vetsulin. So you would fast him for 2 hrs, test him, feed him, then shoot half hour later (if the test indicates it is safe to do so,).

We do try to limit food after nadir because the insulin is wearing off, and therefore can't help offset the carbs as much. Now, most cats get rage-y if you try to have them go 8 hours without food, so a small snack (tablespoon) or two after nadir is ok. It is better if it's lower carb but with his numbers I wouldn't worry about it or go buy new food.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.