Info FDA Issues Another Raw Pet Food Caution Statement & Darwin’s response to the FDA caution statement

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jill & Alex (GA), Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Full story from TruthAboutPetFood.com:
    FDA Issues Another Raw Pet Food Caution Statement (Darwin's)

March 26, 2019

Fast Facts
    • The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is cautioning pet owners not to feed their pets three lots of Darwin’s Natural Pet Products raw dog food after samples from these lots tested positive for Salmonella. The codes for each product are listed in the second group of numbers below the barcode on the package. These products are as follows.
      • Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Chicken Recipe with Organic Vegetables for Dogs: 5309(11)181019, manufactured on October 19, 2018
      • Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Chicken Recipe with Organic Vegetables for Dogs: 5375(11)181106, manufactured on November 11, 2018
      • Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Turkey Recipe with Organic Vegetables for Dogs: 5339(11)181026, manufactured on October 26, 2018
    • If you have these lots of Darwin’s Natural Pet Food, throw them away.
    • The FDA is issuing this alert because these three lots of Darwin’s Natural Pet Products raw dog food represent a serious threat to human and animal health and are adulterated under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act because they contain Salmonella.
    • Salmonella can affect both human and animal health. People with symptoms of Salmonella infection should consult their health care providers. Consult a veterinarian if your pet has symptoms of Salmonella infection.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Is Krystina the one who feeds the raw dog food?

4. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I am not sure

5. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

@Jill & Alex (GA)
    Jill,
    I am disappointed to be reading this post... from you?
    I adamantly disagree with your obvious
    siding with FDA. I firmly believe if you had history and facts regarding FDA and the raw pet food company industries, you would certainly pause. The Ching-Ching big pet food companies don’t possibly play a part in this... or do they?
    You are correct, the FDA issued an alert not a recall. In fairness, this should have been defined and distinguished by you. Have you seen this article? I think it may be (somewhat) enlightening if you haven’t. The girls (owners of) at Food Fur Life shared it with me-
    (https://truthaboutpetfood.com/rad-cat-didnt-die-it-was-murdered/)

In a letter I received, as a long time customer of Darwin’s, from Darwin’s today... I quote a portion of:

We believe that the FDA chose to issue this warning not out of any concern for human or pet health, but in retaliation for our refusal to agree to their demands to provide them with our customers’ confidential contact information. When we informed them that to do so would violate the terms of our privacy policy, they threatened to issue a public warning to pressure us into doing so. When we refused this request, the FDA gave us an ultimatum. Subsequently, they retaliated by issuing their warning.
    ...We remain fully confident these meals are safe, and until now have cooperated with the FDA on every request they have made on this matter. We did this even though the FDA failed to provide samples for us to verify their test results independently, as they are required to do by law.
    ...This warning is not a recall.
    ...We are not certain why the FDA has found it necessary to issue a warning, especially after we have worked closely with them. We are disappointed they only did this after our refusal to provide customers’ personal information to them. We remain committed to providing safe, healthy, nutritious meals for your pets.

I will provide the entire letter I received from Darwin’s today, graciously, to any one who’d like to read it :).

Jill, with due respect, please have all the facts before you launch a post like this.
    Thanks.
    Nelli and Krystina

6. Krystina & Nelli

Jill,
    Why would you publicly post a statement like this?
    Absurd at minimum.
    Why would Krystina be “the one who feeds the raw dog food” when Nelli is a cat? I’m dumbfounded.
    If you’d like to know what Krystina feeds Nelli, I would appreciate you asking in a Conversation to me.
    Thanks,
    Nelli and Krystina

7. Krystina & Nelli

Paul, I am sorry you were caught in the cross fire here :facepalm:

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

@Krystina & Nelli
    I quoted information from the TruthAboutPetFood.com website linked at the beginning of my post verbatim... a simple copy and paste job. Period. Read the info more carefully please or take it up with the author if you have a problem with her. If you go back and read the entire article more carefully you will realize Susan Thixton talked about the FDA Consumer Alert and the posted her own comments in her blog (again, linked at the beginning of my post).
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Furthermore, I don't appreciate being verbally attacked... an uninformed, unfounded, and unsubstantiated attack at that!
    Why? Because I remembered someone said something about feeding the dog version, but couldn't remember who posted it. You recently said something about feeding Darwin's so I asked out of concern for Nelli.

You owe me an apology, Krystina.

9. Krystina & Nelli

Come on Jill. Seriously? Concern for Nelli?
    If you’d like to know what Krystina feeds Nelli out of concern for Nelli please do so in a Conversation to me. I don’t see where your question and my answer would have any public benefit here on FDMB.
    Thanks again.
    Peace,
    Nelli and Krystina

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Please note that Susan Thixton, of all people, is aware of the FDA’s tricks. It’s been her life’s work to force the FDA to enforce laws regulating pet food companies. If there is one source I trust about pet foods, it is Susan Thixton and truthaboutpetfood.com. Jill was very clear about her source when she posted this thread.

When a member posts this type of info, it is solely for the benefit of other members. It’s up to each member to determine how the info might affect their cat.

BTW, Jill also feeds raw so she has no motive for “siding with the FDA” or trying to take down a raw food company.

She was simply making a forum “public service” announcement.

Because there are so many members, it’s hard to remember who might be feeding what. She doesn’t have time to go to each member that she “thinks” she recalls might be feeding a specific food. It’s easier to ask in a common thread so one person might remember who it is.

Slow your roll, babe :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  11. Krystina & Nelli

Good morning Marje,
    Thanks for the clarification :).

Yes, I agree Susan Thixton, of all people is aware of the FDA tricks. Her article on Rad Cat not only enlightened me, it angered me and... broke my heart. As part of this current news flash... now we have Arrow Reliance in the spot light :facepalm:.

I understand that Jill was very clear about her source when she created the Sticky. Although Susan was posting on her site, a warning which the FDA released it was just that, a warning not a recall?
    After having a good nights sleep on this, trying to understand why this Sticky upset me so- I don’t think it was appropriate for a Sticky. It was a part of a story, not a “fair and balanced” story.
    I know Sticky notes- I refer to Sticky’s as educational resources pertaining (solely) to Lantus/ Basaglar and Levimir. Not as an arena for political junk... Public Service announcement.
    This FDA warning is an ongoing story which has two sides.
    I have no problem sharing letter Darwin sent to its customers Ask, and I will produce :)

Regarding Jill asking a specific member (not simply posting to all in a common thread?), “ Is Krystina the one who feeds raw dog food?”
    Why would she think this member knows whether Krystina feeds her cat dog food?
    Inappropriate.

Thanks (as usual :)) for the shout out, I appreciated it.
    and... my roll has slowed ;).

12. Krystina & Nelli

One last comment-
    Agreed. My problem was/is that this was not info a member posted. It was a Sticky our Moderator created o_O

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

First of all, thank you Marje. Last time it was you who was on the receiving end of one of Krystina's outbursts and you know how it feels all too well. I appreciate your kind words and thoughts today.

@Krystina & Nelli
    Since Jill is here, she will respond with facts:
    • Please note nowhere did I say, print, or imply I was posting a "recall". Nowhere.
    • Please note nowhere did I say, print, or imply I was posting a "warning". Nowhere.
    • Please note any and all words posted those of Susan Thixton.
    • The words Ms. Thixton used were ,"caution statement".
    • Not one single word of this Info post contained 'my words'. Not one single word.
    • The information I passed along was NOT in the form of a sticky. Hence being tagged/flagged with the bright yellow prefix stating "Info". It's still there if you care to look.
    • Info posts are not stories. Info posts are just that : Info. Period.
    • Stickies are not stories. Stickies are pertinent information to the group... info which is used often enough to pin to the top of the forum where it can be easily found.
    • I did not pass along what is in your opinion, 'political junk'. I passed along information. Passed it along without without comment, judgement, or bias (without making it "political junk").
    • This is not 'a warning' in any way shape, or form. As such, it does not say or imply "warning".
    • Don't bother. It has NO bearing on this subject or post. Inserting a personal comment: I think that's where you've taken a wrong turn... thinking that it does. It doesn't.
    • Hmmm, maybe because the member was kind enough and concerned enough to think about you and Nelli when volunteering the information.... thank you, Paul.
    • BTW, I didn't bring up the subject. I asked a question after Paul was kind enough to supply the information.
    • You're sadly mistaken if you think anything was inappropriate. I don't know how to fix that.
    • Again, this is/was not a sticky. It's an 'Info" post. See definition previously posted above.
    • Read the Info post again, Krystina. I did not 'create' anything. I simply copied, pasted, and shared information which had come across my desk. Part of my job as a Moderator. Period.

Moving right along...

Krystina, you've totally misunderstood what was posted. That was fine. We all misunderstand things everyday. What isn't 'fine' is how you chose to lash out... the rudeness and verbal attack. That's not ok. Not acceptable.

This kind of behavior has to stop. These intermittent emotional outbursts and subsequent verbal attacks from you have happened too frequently on the board. Please be aware such blatant rudeness will no longer be tolerated because that kind of behavior is not allowed on the FDMB.

Terms of Service and Rules

The providers ("we", "us", "our") of the service provided by this web site ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content and accounts ("Content"). Content submitted express the views of their author only.

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.

All Content you submit or upload may be reviewed by staff members. All Content you submit or upload may be sent to third-party verification services (including, but not limited to, spam prevention services). Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.

We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the Service at any time.

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

These terms may be changed at any time without notice.

If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.

Summary of Community Rules

The purpose of this community is to help people give their diabetic cats the best care possible. We also recognize that dealing with the illness of a beloved animal companion is often very stressful. Therefore, we follow these basic rules of behavior:
    • Be kind.
    • Be polite.
    • Inform yourself.
    • Never personally attack anyone.
    • Recognize that reasonable people can differ on many aspects of treatment.
    • Check your ego at the door.

I see no reason to keep this thread open. The ensuing discussion has become wildly unreasonable, illogical, and inappropriate. As such, is not helpful.

Thread closed for obvious reasons.

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

Darwin’s response to the FDA caution statement issued yesterday 3/26/19.
    This was received directly from Darwin’s Pet Food (and will be issued in a public press release).

Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Disputes FDA Warning
    FDA offers no scientific rationale for zero-tolerance policy

SEATTLE March 27, 2019 – Today Darwin’s Natural Pet Products disputed an FDA warning regarding pathogens in its raw pet food. The FDA tested three lots of Darwin’s poultry meals, produced in October and November of last year, and claimed to find the presence of Salmonella in them. Darwin’s stated that the warning was inappropriate, as there is no inherent public health risk, and that customers were already aware of the situation as a result of the company’s own communications. Further, the FDA informed Darwin’s that it was issuing the warning because Darwin’s refused to turn over customers’ personal contact information which the FDA demanded to receive.

“We dispute both the recent FDA warning and as well as its policy.” said Gary Tashjian, Darwin’s Natural Pet Products president. “The public warning is inappropriate because we’ve already notified our customers directly via email about this situation on two occasions. More importantly, our customers have told us that this food was consumed by their pets long ago, with no medical issues reported. The facts show that there is no safety risk here.”

Darwin’s sells its meals directly to pet owners, and as a result of that direct relationship with its customers, the company keeps track of customer comments and complaints and can tell quickly if there are problems with its meals by looking for patterns in those calls. Since the product was produced and sent to customers almost four months ago, past experience, supported by customer feedback, indicates that all of this product had already been consumed without any evidence of problems.

Salmonella is inherent in raw poultry products and is unlikely to pose danger to most pets, or to humans when properly handled. Because of this, the USDA, which regulates meat and poultry for human consumption, allows for some presence of Salmonella in raw poultry. All of Darwin’s
    ingredients, which are USDA-approved, meet these standards for human consumption. The FDA, however, which regulates pet food, maintains a zero-tolerance policy which disallows any presence of Salmonella, even in quantities too low to cause harm to either humans or pets.

“We find ourselves in the same situation as many other raw pet food companies have found themselves over the past year – having to decide whether to issue a recall for products that we believe are safe for pets, but which do not meet the standards set by the FDA,” said Tashjian. “We believe that the FDA has failed to demonstrate any scientific basis for establishing standards for pet food that are more stringent than the USDA sets for food intended for human consumption. Darwin’s believes that the FDA’s policy is misguided.”

In this instance, the FDA’s test records raised questions as to whether Salmonella was present in the food at all. Moreover, the FDA failed to provide Darwin’s with “split samples” (i.e., retained samples of the tested product) to enable the company to perform its own independent tests to confirm the FDA’s findings – even though the FDA is required by law to do so.

“For all of these reasons, we do not believe that the facts support a recall of these products, which is why we have refused to do so,” said Tashjian. “We also believe that the FDA’s demands for our customers’ personal information infringes on their right to privacy, and is inappropriate under the circumstances.”

Darwin’s encourages its customers and anyone who raw feeds their pet to contact the company for more details about how the company came to this decision. A special toll-free number has been set up for inquiries: 866-832-8319 (Monday-Friday from 6am to 6pm, and Saturday 7am-3pm Pacific Time).

End of Darwin’s statement.

Comments made by Susan Thixton (TruthAboutPetFood.com) can be found on her website/blog following the statement above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.