Farewell Wurly

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Wurly, Oct 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wurly

Wurly Member

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I posted on this forum, unfortunately my last post with reference to my dear Wurly is not good.

I had to Euthanise Wurly on the 6th October.

Please read below and remember, if your cat goes through this, time is of the essence. My cat unfortunately for me was a master of hiding things and was also so proud.

19th September unexplained sickness and diarrhea for 2 days, BG levels slightly lower due to loss of food, reduced dose of Detemir to compensate.
    Next two weeks, slight loss of appetite and noticeable weight loss.
    2nd October, faster breathing up to 30 breaths/min and showing signs of laboured breathing. Advised Vet who suspected Pancreatitis and suggested a visit on the 6th. Research showed me that 20% of cats with this condition showed these signs.
    4th October, condition worsening and observed one cough and one occasion of open mouth breathing, this was when I knew it was not Pancreatitis and immediately took her to hospital.
    An ultrasound scan was conducted, Pleural effusion present along with a 3cm mass in the chest cavity. The prognosis was poor. I advised the surgeon to drain the fluid and take a sample of the mass. 200ml was drained Bi-laterally and I took her home that night.
    5th October, spent all day with Wurly after reading on the condition the night before. Morning Breaths were back down to 25 and she looked happier.
    6th October, morning breaths back to 36-40 and the laboured breathing was worse. She was following me around and was then hiding from me, clearly in pain as well. Me and the wife decided we could not allow this so we took her in.

For the last 7 months since I persuaded the Vet to prescribe Detemir she has been a completely different cat, I was in complete control and then along comes the Lung Carcinoma that I have absolutely no control over except to be in the room with her at the end and initiate the put to sleep injection. This was the 2nd hardest thing I have had to deal with in my life so far.

In 12 months we have gone through:-
    Initiate Caninsulin treatment at diagnosis, no easy thing considering how big and powerful a cat she was. This lasted for 4 weeks at which point I had got to grips with the injections but was still missing some.
    Month 2-4, Vet prescribed Prozinc after I supplied curves to show Caninsulin is no good for my cat.
    Prozinc working well but dose increasing to 4IU from 1.75 with sketchy responses.

Month 5-12, based on the dose and the difficulty in injecting I managed to persuade the Vet to prescribe Detemir (Based in UK) This was brilliant, the regulation took about 4 weeks. The BG curves of this insulin are extraordinary, every test showed she was in the zone. The use of an injector device with the U100 syringes also gave me a run of 268 sequential injections before missing one!
    I could keep her surfing near to 4 all day long more or less.

This is when the magic started, dose reductions started from 3.75, her last dose was 2 units. Given another 6 months to a year I believe I could be down to 1.5 once a day or better.

Thank you to all the kind people and the information on this site that have helped me on this journey.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers for you and Wrly. It is always hard to say goodbye

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry for your loss, sending you lots of lovecat_wings>o

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, Fly High Sweet Wurly :bighug::bighug:♥♥cat_wings>o

5. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

So sorry for your loss. Sending hugs.
    (I lost my Starla in 2019 to lung cancer. Hers came on rapidly as well.)

6. Acadaca

Acadaca Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. Wurly was lucky to have you throughout her journey. Sending hugs your way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.