Fancy Feast Rejected

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stephanie & Max, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephanie & Max

Stephanie & Max Member

I've been feeding my kitties no wheat gluten Fancy Feast flavors for a long time, but now with the new formulas, it's being rejected by all my kitties. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm also looking for other alternatives. Kitties won't eat Wellness Grain Free or Merrick. I no longer have a diabetic kitty :(, but I still want to keep up with the food standards I was doing with Sherman. I have found that at least one of my civies is badly effected by wheat gluten. I'm not in a position where I can make raw food at this point as I'm dealing with a lot of health issues myself.

Sorry for the rambling. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

There is a link in my signature to a food ingredient table that lists ~700 canned cat food brands/flavors and whether or not they contain soy/gluten/fruits/vegatables. You can search that table for gluten free foods.

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

The chopped grill feast was a special favorite here, but they won't touch the stuff in the new cans. I do not want to face going through all the flavors to find something they will eat. Bad, bad Purina!!!

4. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Yes, all of mine are protesting vehemently and have all but stopped eating the new Fancy Feast. They'll nibble here and there, but I'm no longer tailed with a chorus of meows when I crack open a new can and I'm throwing a LOT away. I've resorted to buying other brands to see what will be popular. The good news is that I'll probably save money in the long run, but I don't look forward to evaluating new foods and figuring out what combination will work best for my crew.

It probably wouldn't hurt to call the customer service number to notify them of the issue.

5. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

It has become hit and miss with Thomas and the Fancy feast as well; what he will eat one day, he will totally snub the next!
    Dana

6. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Yes, I get FF for my IC cat, Ketchie and she is really getting picky about eating it in the new labeled cans! I wondered why the texture even seemed different! What the heck did they do to it???

I have had a hard time getting her to eat all wet food over the last couple of years, and now this. She will eat fishy flavors better, but she has Interstitial Cystitis and we are just coming down from the slippery slope of her almost being put to sleep, because she was so sick. Thank heavens for Buprenex and the other vet I go to, that has shown me how good it is to give these cats Sub-q fluids! Plus she is on her last two days of ABS, because her bloodwork and urine did show that she most likely had an infection that triggered this.

But, I NEED to get her to eat the wet food, and I am really upset that FF changed so much. An IC cat should not be eating much, if any, fishy foods at all. :(

Has anyone contacted Purina and complained? Is this a money making deal for them to have changed it like they have?

Glad to know that I am not the only one here that has found it had changed.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

7. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

My cats won't touch the new FF. I have tried several times to submit a complaint, but each time, I get an error on their web page. Here is what I wanted to send:

https://offers.purina.com/ContactUs/How ... cebrand=21

I recently purchased a flat (24 cans) of your Classic Chicken Feast and a variety case (24 cans) of Classic Chicken Feast, Classic Turkey & Giblets Feast, and Classic Tender Beef Feast. My cats used to love the Classic Feast varieties; one is diabetic and these varieties are particularly low carb. I'm not sure what you did to your formula recently, but my cats absolutely hate it. Also, just so you know, I belong to felinediabetes.com and many other people have noticed issues with your new Classic Feast formulas.

8. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

Yes, we have been talking about this issue for about a month now. Check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4390

and also this other one about Friskies. They are both made by Purina:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7124.

We think it is possibly the same thing. I think it's obvious that they have changed the ingredients.

9. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

We aren't having any trouble here. All 6 of my cats are cleaning their plates.

Raven occasionally turns up her nose at some foods but she's always done that. Her favorite flavor this week will be awful next week. I have to keep a wide variety of flavors for her.

The other cats are happy to eat her rejects.

10. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I was wondering what was going on. When did you all start noticing the change? Mine used to love it and now sometimes are not even interested. However, we are new to FF gluten free low carb. Can you tell me when you all starting noticing a difference so I can see if it correlates with us?

11. Jean and Charcoal

I noticed the changes in smells and textures when they changed the labels.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

12. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

absolutely worst case for me is the grilled salmon and shrimp. it was two of my cats' favorite and now neither will eat it. i could tell the change right away. opened the new-label can and the smell about knocked me over (never had that strong smell before).

they still eat some turkey & giblets (which was an all-time fave but now is totally hit or miss) and chopped grill (again, hit or miss now).

because of their turning down FF varieties i've been digging thru the food and pulling out old label varieties where i find them. those they all eat eagerly still.

believe i heard magnesium has changed in some varieties. not sure what else. something's wrong, tho. prior to this my only picky eater was harry. now i have 5 picky eaters. :( i'm resorting more to wellness and cooked chicken treats to make sure they get enough to eat because the FF often goes untouched now.

13. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Yesterday I bought all the old cans I could find, plus a few of each flavor of the new cans for comparison.

I have started a thread on Community that I hope eventually to send to Purina, numbers are powerful. Please add your names, let's get all the complaints in one place.

14. Jean and Charcoal

[​IMG]

Last night I fed an older can with the old label on of FF Tender Liver and Chicken Feast to my Ketchie who has been sick with Interstitial Cystitis, but seems to be on the mend.

She ate the food last night. Today I gave the same food to her, and she won't touch it. This was from the can with the new label.

Comparing the labels that I scanned in, it appears that Purina has 'cheapened up the print, made the print smaller in some areas, and also on the old can the product says "Made in the USA". On the new can, it says, "Printed in the USA". So is this being made in Switzerland or somewhere else??? The cat is not so pronounced either.

This is very disconcerting to me. My Ketchie is my pickiest eater, and I need to keep her on wet food with her health issues. We may now be 'up the creek' with the way the FF has changed.

I will post this over on Gia's post on the Community Forum also.

If you can, check out the comparison of the two labels. Something seems mighty fishy.....

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

15. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

The cat food is made not in Switzerland but China.
    edit : or worse Menu foods [Canada]

16. Jean and Charcoal

http://www.nestle.com/Brands/Petcare/PetcareListing.htm

Hi 'Mal and Tubby',

I mentioned Switzerland, because on the new label, at least the one I posted, it had Switzerland written on the label. It did not on the first label, or old label.

It is just that, if this food has changed so much, that so many folks are noticing these differences and the fact that some of our cats are not eating it, after they had been, then I was curious to where it could possibly be getting manufactured. And what additives, could be getting 'added' or 'substituted' that they may not be telling the public about.

17. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

It is a Swiss company. The food is made elseware. :smile:

18. Suzanne & Grey

Suzanne & Grey New Member

I too have been having problems getting my cat to clean up her plate on the newly labeled no wheat gluten varieties of Fancy Feast. Does anyone have a confirmation about where the newly labeled canned FF foods are produced?

19. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Not made in Canada

Take a look at the label that Jean is showing; it says that it is a product of the US--or is just printed in the US, I can't read that fine print. My cans say they are imported--therefore not produced in Canada. If it is neither Canada nor the US, then to save money it has to be one of two places I can think of. China or Mexico. I think that if it is China, then our kitties may be better off with other stuff. You have to wonder, how they can stand behind their product, if they won't even fess up to where it's made .
    Dana

20. Jean and Charcoal

Yes, Dana, the second label says "Printed in USA". It has no where that I could find on the label as to where it is made!!! YUCK!!!

You would think that after all the trouble with the foods that happened not that long ago, that they would be smart enough to not make these changes. But, it sounds like the company is more interested in saving money, and I really do not believe that they have our dear furbabies' 'safety' in what they eat in their best interests!

Now, I will have to hunt for something else to get my Ketchie to eat. I will not keep buying FF if she won't eat it.

Ketchie won't eat Friskies, so I am wondering what might be something I could try that would not cost more than the FF. That was expensive enough, and now is so discouraging to me to have this happen.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

21. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Thing is Jean,
    Fancy Feast and Friskies are both made by Purina. The only things in our larder that admits to where it is made is EVO canned, which is made in the US, and I have one can of President's Choice which is made in Canada, and I assume only available in Canada--but Thomas dislikes it anyway.
    Why oh why is everything made in China.
    Those red mittens they were waving around during the Olympics were made in China, so I sort of fail to see how they were helping Canadian atheletes.
    I myself would be willing to pay premium for things I know have been made, somewhere other than in the discount bin!
    Dana

22. Suzanne & Grey

Suzanne & Grey New Member

Thanks for mentioning about EVO Dana. I'm pretty upset over this FF issue and was on a search for a new canned food.

Right now my dear Grey is at the vet clinic. She hasn't seemed herself the past couple of weeks, and then today she had labored breathing. The vet was thorough and didn't spot anything obviously wrong, but I asked for a chest x-ray anyway. She has a large mass right in front of her heart. :sad: They just aspirated it and will send it off to a pathologist, I will pick her up this afternoon after they feel it's safe enough for her to go home. Wish my dear Grey baby luck. Anyway, I mention this only because because I'm not 100% certain that the food issue isn't somehow part of it. I'm not trying to be an alarmist or conspiracy theorist, but she had been perfectly fine until this change. It's awfully coincidental.

23. Jean and Charcoal

Fancy Feast Update-March 9, 2010 From Company

Note: The company did not say where the product is made. They did note that there have been some "slight ingredient realignment and magnesium sulfate was added". And that was only in the one flavor of "Tender Liver and Chicken Feast" that I inquired about on March 6, 2010.

Any others here that are having any problems with the newly labeled foods, or are having trouble with your cats not eating it, PLEASE go their website at Purina, and make a complaint. The more people they start receiving complaints from, the more they may pay attention to the changes that have been made and conduct a study into the changes. I did have both the old label and new one and I was able to put in the UPC code and manufacturing code from the bottom of the can (the new one) into my complaint.

Thanks!
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

24. Jean and Charcoal

Please check my new post [above] about the results of my inquiry into Fancy Feast 'Tender Liver and Chicken Feast' canned food. I only inquired about the one flavor, but have had problems with the other flavors also, getting my cats to eat them.

Please, if you are having trouble with the product, since they changed their labels, please write to the company online, and make sure you have the label UPC code and the manufacturing code from the bottom of the can, and make a complaint. The more that complain, perhaps might bring some type of investigation into what has changed in these products, and the company did admit to some 'changes', though slight, having been made. They did not state where the product is made.

I made the complaint on Saturday, March 6, 2010, and just received an answer today, March 10, 2010. It did not take but a few minutes of my time, so it is well worth the effort.

Remember what happened when so many folks started losing cats and animals due to kidney failure, etc. just a few years ago??? When ingredients were tainted, that were used in so many products that we innocently were feeding our animals??? I sure hope this will not happen again.

The more proactive we can all be, for the health and safety of our cats, and dogs, the better the chances are of them living a healthier life. They are helpless, and they depend upon us for their care and safety in what we feed them, and how we take care of them to keep them protected.

Thanks!
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

25. Beth and Simon (GA)

Beth and Simon (GA) Member

Re: Fancy Feast Update-March 9, 2010 From Company

"A few of the "Classic" varieties will have changes to some of the guaranteed analyses."

I sure don't like that statement.

My cats have been eating the food with the new labels without any problems, but Simon's numbers are increasing....I hope this is just coincidence.

26. Jean and Charcoal

Yes, Beth, I was not happy about that either. Notice, they don't say what they are? UGH....

27. chriscleo

noting that i think a prior post may be confusing and this is probably a good thread to put all your comments regarding fancy feast and whether the new cans have something changed so cats are not eating as happily as normal. the community thread noted has only a few comments.

i am very surprised at purina's comment, jean, because in my experience even a tiny change will cause a cat to balk at a variety. first time i experienced that for sure was when EVO changed the order of two ingredients (meaning they started using less of one ingredient and more of another). you can bet your bippy harry stopped eating it immediately. i think that's very common of cats so purina's comment is disingenuous to say the least.

all five of DH and my cats are unhappy with purina's latest change. hopefully eventually they'll accept the flavors but it's been months now and they're still rejecting quite a few cans.

28. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Hi everyone -

My boys are also rejecting the new FF - they used to love the beef, chicken and mixed grill flavors, and now they refuse to touch it. They do still eat the turkey and giblets, though - although I woould have to say not with as much gusto. They usually clean their plates, though....

I recently experimented with the FF chunky chicken and chunky turkey - and they are both loving these flavors! They have more carbs that the gluten free types, but still less than 10%. I also tried the shredded chicken fare and the turkey one in that family as well, and they seemed to like those, too - I guess these will be new options for me. So far, I haven't found any purina or friskies flavors that they like.

Their favorite is the Wellness chicken, I split a 5.5 oz. can between the two of them before I go to bed. This way, they have something to nibble on all night.

29. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

My three cats definitely are not eating it with the same gusto. They eat beef, chicken, and turkey and giblets. I am throwing it out everyday!!

30. Jean and Charcoal

Well, I will keep posting anything new I can come up with on both of these threads. Trouble is, some folks over on Community don't really come to the health section all the time, and vicey versy, if you get my drift. ETA: Threads merged.

I just don't like the fact that Purina will not even say where the food is being made now. Can all of you who are reading this thread, or having problems with their canned FF foods, please make a complaint on Purina.com website??? If they get more complaints, they may be bound to do some better explaining.

Thanks!
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

31. Jean and Charcoal

Has anyone else written to Purina about the Fancy Feast Food rejections by their kitties? I sure hope so, otherwise, we may never get anywhere with trying to get some answers.

Thanks!

32. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Houdini's #'s are increasing as well Hmmmmmm

33. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Jean, just so you know for the future, as a moderator I can make one thread show up on more than one forum at the same time. It's really nifty. If you ever have something you need put two or more places, let me know. V

34. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

Just chiming in to say that my kitty hates the new FF too. I still have a few cases of the old, but I grabbed one new can just to see. He turned up his nose and then scratched his paw on the floor like it was poo.

He only likes the old FF Gourmet Chicken Feast. It's the only flavor he's ever liked, and now hates the new FF Classic Chicken. I have no idea what he's going to eat when we run out of the old FF cans. cat(2)_steam

35. Kellie and Oreo (GA)

Kellie and Oreo (GA) Member

Adding my two cents, my cats are not thrilled either. I thought maybe it was just them, but after reading everyone elses post I think it
    is the food. Guess I will look too. Oreo is still in remission but did notice his Bg went up. So what are the rest of you switching too?
    Thanks
    Kellie

36. ceil99

ceil99 Member

I dont feed FF but I do feed friskies and have voiced my concerns to them also.

My crew is not eating their "favorites" with gusto anymore and I thought they were just getting tired of the same stuff.

I feed Country Style, Poultry, Turkey & Giblets, Salmon, SD Beef and Chicken and Mixed Grill. I haven't seen too much vomiting, but some of my guys have constipation while others have commented on their babies having loose stools.

I think something is going on and am getting worried now. :?:

I don't know what else to switch to since this was in my price range. I don't have any active diabetics anymore, but I still kept the same under 10% carbs for the rest of my crew for preventative measures.

I am so disappointed now in Friskies. This was one of the companies that was NOT involved in the big mass recall a few years ago and I really felt lucky and happy that Purina was keeping their foods relatively safe.

Now I am really worried. :twisted: confused_cat

37. Beth and Simon (GA)

Beth and Simon (GA) Member

I received this from them today:

Thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.

We appreciate your interest in our products. Please know that we will be mailing you the complete nutritional profiles for our Fancy Feast(r) Gourmet Cat Food - Classic products. Please allow 7-10 business days for their arrival. These profiles will contain the as fed amounts for every nutrient listed except protein, fat, fiber, moisture, ash, and taurine, Please know that these amounts will be the guaranteed analysis amounts for each product.

If you would like the as fed amounts for these nutrients, please know that this information is not something we have readily available and takes time on the part of our nutritionist to determine. We cannot provide it for each and every one of our products.

However, if you can narrow your choice to a particular flavor or two, we'll be happy to fulfill your request, but, it will require some time. We appreciate your patience.

Again, thank you for visiting our web site.

I'll send them another email and inquire specifically about Liver & Chicken and Chopped Grill Feast (two of the favorites around here).

38. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

I am also having trouble with my cats eating the past week. Par for the course for Shiloh, but both cats at once? I just made chicken and they ate that. I've tried other brands and not much success. I usually found one can of FF they liked. I've been throwing more FF away than ends up in their bellies. Donna

39. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Well, that is a cop-out AND disturbing. They don't know what is in their food nutritionally? They have to have a nutritionist analyze a product that is already on the shelves in order to know what its as fed amounts are? That and this response
    make it pretty clear that, yes, they did change the recipes.

FYI, I contacted them about Friskies. My gang is off many of the flavors. They responded very similarly, but said no formulas had changed at all.

The ingredient that is cheapest for them is carbs, not protein. I suspect that we will see a shift in % calories from protein to carbs... sigh.

40. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Re: Fancy Feast Update--best alternatives?

My Kitty also is turning away from his food. I have had to season almost every bite with his freeze-dried chicken treats to get him to eat. I also thought it was just him.

I will contact Purina through the website. https://offers.purina.com/ContactUs/ContactUs.aspx?SOURCEBRAND=21 They don't make it easy to find the contact link!

But I would like to ask others... what's a good alternative? Kitty's diabetes is well controlled -- I hate to change anything. But he isn't enjoying his food.

41. Kathy and Kitty

Me too. And my kitty is THIS close to an OTJ trial -- down to half a unit insulin. I have to put chicken treats on the food to get him to eat. (FF Tender Beef Feast)

I sent a complaint to Purina tonight.

But what are the best alternatives for a diabetic kitty???

42. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

I got the guaranteed analysis from Nestle Purina for all of the new Classics last week and emailed them to Janet and Binky. I haven't really scoured them for changes, but I sent all of the emails I received from them, along with what I received in the mail. Perhaps, Janet will post any changes to the food chart or chime in on what she saw. I got parts in an email and parts in the mail, so it was a little confusing to me, for some other reasons, as well. They said some numbers were guaranteed analysis and some were not, but on the same chart.

I'm sure Janet would be happy to send what I sent to her, to anyone who makes the request.

43. Jean and Charcoal

The link that Kathy posted above is the one I used from their site when I stated my complaints last Saturday, March 6, 2010.

This is really getting more and more disturbing seeing more of us having issues with our cats not wanting to eat the foods.

Today in my regular supermarket, I found some of the older cans of the FF Tender Liver and Chicken Feast, and I bought about 7 or 8 cans of it. I opened one tonight, and my Ketchie really enjoyed it. Now, why in the world did the company have to go and ruin what was a good thing for our furbabies????? Boy, this is so upsetting!

So, if you can check out your local supermarkets or grocery stores, try to find as many of the older cans as you can to feed your cats, until we figure out an alternative.

I can't afford the really expensive foods, and now I don't know what to use for my 5 cats.

This kind of thing doesn't just happen with pet food either. I have had several foods/or products that I really loved, get changed in the past, and I was really upset. I used to use a soap called "Cashmere Bouquet" and it had the greatest clean smell to it, and many years ago, the company decided to change the product. I have never been able to use it since.

I hate these companies that say they have 'New and Improved" products!!! Like does that mean that what we were using or eating before was 'garbage'??? UGH.... I am steamed!!!!

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

44. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Jean.. I posted in the other thread on Health.. but FF isn't all that cheap! I was still stuck with paying .40 or so a 5.5 oz can of Friskies.. and now I'm thinking it's a lot! lol (being jobless & all) But isn't FF what.. at least .50-.60 a can? Even if it's the same as Friskies, like .40 a can.. it's only 3 ozs! If you double the cost of the FF 3 oz can, you get at least $1+ for a 5.5-6 oz can. There's some decent food out there for $1 or so a can! (5.5 oz) I think I even saw Wellness in the big cans at Petco for $1.20-$1.50.. something like that. when you look at the per ounce.. it's not much different than FF!

I've always wondered what the fascination about FF was.. didn't seem like that good of quality, and isn't all that cheap! Course, I know most cats like it.. so maybe that's what's important with older, sick kitties that NEED to eat. But if I get a finicky cat, or is sick.. I just buy some FF (or other food) and mix it with their Friskies! lol

45. Jean and Charcoal

Hi Steph,

You are certainly right about the FF not being cheap. It has been killing me to buy FF, but the reason I started getting it, was because it is mainly what I feed to my Ketchie, who is my oldest cat and has the trouble with the Interstitial Cystitis and she has GOT to be on wet food. That is all she would eat, the FF. At least from the foods I have, she hates Friskies, and 9 Lives. So, I resorted to the FF since she is almost 15, and one of my absolute most favorite cats I have ever had, and I am spoiling her as much as possible I suppose.

So, when I bought the older cans of FF at the supermarket, they were 60 cents for a 3 oz. can!!! YUCK!!! But she is only eating 2 cans a day, but that still is a lot for one cat and I have 5. The others will eat the Friskies, reluctantly, but I can't do much better than that. The Friskies in Maryland where I go, are 40 cents a can.

My cancer survivor orange boy, Woodee, will barely eat any wet food. I don't know what to do with him. He will starve himself, before he will eat wet food. So, I break down and give him the fishy flavors, and some soft treats and a little dry. He is thin, and he had Fibrosarcoma, so I give him some of the FF fishy flavors, and he will eat those. It is over 2 years since his major surgery, and I don't know what to feed him. The vet is amazed he is even alive at this point.

Thanks for your input, though. I know how hard it is with little or no money coming in.

Hugs,
    Jean and Charcoal (GA) (Charcoal is gone one year today, March 12, 2009)

46. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Most of my crew did not care for FF, that is why I went to Friskies. Plus, as you said, FF is more expensive. I really can't afford that.

With coupons and sales, most times I pay .30 per can for the Friskies. I can't go much more than that.

PLEASE keep us updated. I have emailed Purina as well, but have not gotten a response as of yet. I suspect it will be much the same as anyone else.

I did try the Sophisticat back when I had the diabetics, but none seemed to care for that as well.

confused_cat confused_cat confused_cat

Attached Files:

47. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

last night peter went through all of our FF turkey and giblets cans. Any of the cans that ended in numbers 4 something, 44, 45, 46 etc., mocha would not touch. She would walk away from. So the other cans we had of the turkey and giblets were numbered 3 something, 33, 34, 35. We opened up one of those cans, which she ate up with no problem.

Overnight we filled her auto feeder with cans ending in 3 something. This morning she had a bit of food left in each one of the bowls, but we also notice that if we don't start her feeder at the exact time we have it set for, then it gets off balanced and only rotates halfway each move. So half the bowl is still under the cover, if that makes sense. So who knows if she didn't eat all of it because she couldn't get her nose in there well enough, or if it is the food.

For breakfast this morning she seemed to eat decent enough, and again it was from a can ending in 3 something. I plan to go to the store today, but unfortunately we are down to one car and peter takes that to work.

I have not gotten a response back from purina yet. I e mailed them yesterday with my concerns.

48. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

I had called Purina several weeks ago & posted what they had said--They did add some nutrients, & added some chicken to some of their stuff--I posted on lantus & health--Not the True values, as Purina is secret about that :lol:

THEY HAVE REMOVED A LOT OF THE GRAVY TYPE CONTENT OF THE FOOD, MAKING IT MORE STICKY--You know cats love gravy!!
    I add water now to all their meals--tender beef, turkey & giblets, chopped grill, and they are eating & doing fine!!
    Moonie has never been in such great numbers!
    The ff appetizers did give one of them loose bms..I will lose them!

49. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi!

just to add to that - Janet has told me (from when I had the pleasure of dealing with Purina back in the fall) that they are very difficult to get info out of, so beware and be prepared to pull some teeth :D be firm and demand it! You are the consumer!

Thank for merging these threads together!

50. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Logan used to eat Wellness only but when he started getting sick, he stopped eating it. The only FF gluten free flavor he would eat was the Turkey & Giblets. He won't touch it now. He will eat the Classic Chicken Feast, but only a little at a time. He'll eat 1/4 to 1/2 a can and then we give him another flavor to make sure he eats enough. Lately, the only food he'll eat is the chunky turkey and chunky chicken. He LOVES both of them. He has IBD, though, so I'd like him to eat something else, but he turns his nose up at everything I offer. Hearing that the food may be made in China makes me even more concerned about him eating FF!

51. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hmm. I have to take a look at whether we have new or old labels, but recently, Basil has begun to just walk away from FF Turkey and Giblets.

I went with FF after going through Janet and Binky's charts and pulling out the foods that, in addition to being 5% carbs or under, are also not horribly high in fat. I figured the closer you could get to approximating the profile of a mousie for dinner, the better. So, I eliminated EVO and Wellness for their very high fat. I do have a list of what I cam up with which I can try to clean up and post here.

I also noticed that Basil, and now his sister Rosie, will not touch Merrick Cowboy Cookout. Toward the end, if they ate it at all, they picked around in there and left behind these little gray cubes. Those cubes are in some other Merrick flavors as well and get rejected from those flavors also. Wonder what this all means...

52. PeterDevonMocha

I would be very interested to see what "list" you have come up with. Mocha is snubbing her FF turkey and giblets and I don't know where to go from here. She tried wellness before, both turkey and chicken, and wouldn't touch the stuff. She does like the special kitty MC we feed her, but I don't know how their turkey and giblets are. I mean, is it kinda like junk food for them?

53. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

I am posting this with the warning that it uses both the old and new Janet charts. And it really needs looking at again. But it is what I have been going by for now. FYI, some of these brands, i just can't find. Anything that was in Janet's charts that is not here, I left out usually for too much fat to match the mouse profile. And it was kind of arbitrary where I drew the line.

Friskies
    Flaked with Tuna and Egg in Sauce 50 45 5
    Flaked with Tuna in Sauce 53 41 6
    Kitten Ocean Whitefish Formula 49 47 4

Merrick
    Cowboy Cookout 52 42 5
    Surf N Turf 49 47 3

Sophisticat Adult Supreme
    Flaked Tuna Dinner 51 44 5
    Supreme Beef Dinner 47 49 4
    Supreme Ocean Whitefish And Tuna Dinner 49 50 2

Sophisticat Pouches
    Beef And Gravy 48 50 2
    Chicken Dinner And Gravy 43 57 0
    Mixed Grill In Gravy 47 51 2
    Ocean Whitefish With Tuna In Sauce 52 45 2
    Tuna And Sauce 48 50 2

Triumph pouches
    Mixed grill in Gravy 47 51 2
    Beef in Gravy 48 50 2

Fancy Feast
    Cod, Sole & Shrimp Feast 52 46 2
    Filet & Pate Beef & Chicken Feast 46 47 6
    Flaked Salmon & Ocean Whitefish Feast 52 43 5
    Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Feast 49 48 3

Pro-Plan
    Kitten Salmon & Ocean Fish 47 51 2 0.3 330 95

54. Kathy and Kitty

I also dug through my closet and found a few cans of the "old" FF. Kitty ate it happily for breakfast -- and it wasn't even his favorite flavor!

I'm sorry, but if Nestle/Purina is telling us they didn't change something, they are lying. The question is... what?

Everyone in Lantus Land already knows I'm a world-class worrier... ;-) But I really want to know if they have shifted production to China. If the flavor has changed, that's one thing. But if it is now made in China, I would be delusional not to question the safety of the food. Fooled twice, shame on me.

FYI, I feed FF only because it's low carb, and my diabetic kitty was willing to eat it. I'm going out today to scour grocery shelves for old formulas, and to buy samples of other foods to transition to.

55. Ruthe and Smokey (GA)

Ruthe and Smokey (GA) Member

56. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

OT: Jean, I'm with you on the Cashmere Bouquet. My paternal grandmother always used it, so the smell reminded me of her. I would buy it and use it just to smell her. All of a sudden, it changed. I was nearly despondent over soap! It was like she passed away again.

When they changed Coke, I was despondent as well. Now, I buy the Mexican Coke when I can find it. Real cane sugar like the old days!

57. PeterDevonMocha

I e mailed purina the other day. I got the standard response back from them, apologizing for mochas lack of interest, but they assure they have not done anything that would cause a cat to not eat their food. I e mailed them back and asked about how the labels used to say made in the USA and now they say printed in the USA, and where is their food made at now. I will see if they respond

58. Kathy and Kitty

Meanwhile, Kitty ate the "old label" food I scavenged from the market today.

So ALL of our cats are being driven away by an insignificant shift in mineral content??

59. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

60. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Thanks, Venita. Yes, I can see it.

61. Jean and Charcoal

Hi Kathy,

Yes, but how do we KNOW that this is just a shift in mineral content??? What if it has something to do with the 'wheat gluten' again, that was tainted from China, and all the foods that were poisoning folks' cats a few years ago, and cats were dying; well, what if we are giving our cats something that might take a while to make them sick, and we don't know what it is??? That is my concern.

Think I will run to my supermarket to see if they have any more of the old cans of FF. UGH.... there MUST be something else we can buy that is not bad for our cats. I think our furbabies are a lot smarter than we might give them credit for. Sometimes I do believe they have a much keener sense on what they are eating that may have something inherently wrong with it.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

62. Kathy and Kitty

Jean, that is EXACTLY my fear.

Purina's response makes me think that they do not understand: they lost my trust permanently.

Maybe it is just a mineral change, and the kitties are rejecting it because it's different. Or maybe the production process is out of control and there's something wrong with the food. How do I know? I certainly won't trust them.

I will not feed the new FF to my kitty again. I was lucky to scavenge several weeks' worth of old-label food from the local pet store and some supermarkets. In the interim, I will experiment with Wellness and other brands that have been recommended.

63. sommerbethel

sommerbethel Member

Buddy's numbers started to go up out of no where...I just read this whole thread! He eats FF and I'm not sure when we started the new cans but I'm gathering that people are seeing higher numbers on the new cans of FF. Has anyone settled on a new brand of food. My vet suggested Nature's Variety Instinct...

Has anyone who saw numbers increasing switched to a new brand and started to see numbers regulate again?????

64. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I called the Purina Customer Service number located on the can.

The representative indicated that "slight ingredient realignment" is the standard terminology they use when they make any changes to the formulation. On the new cans, they have removed one mineral and added two others. No other changes were made.

When asked about the change in terminology from "Made in the U.S.A" to "Printed in U.S.A" . . . she said that the change was made to meet documentation requirements and that the "Made In" claim only needs to be included on the label if the product is manufactured OUTSIDE the U.S.A. (inferring, of course, that the food is still manufactured in the U.S.). I'm not sure that I buy that explanation, but whatever.

I asked whether any of the ingredient sourcing had changed, and she said she didn't know. I am actually curious about that.

I'll probably call back again and see if I get any different answers.

65. chriscleo

noting, tho janet knows this because i discussed it with her, that the reason Purina said it would be difficult to do more than a few flavors is that their staff nutritionist has to go to each individual product group to get them to work out as-fed values, which is the standard we use here to determine content.

when i got updated nutritional info about a year ago from them prior to the latest change, i specified the exact flavors i was looking for (all the gluten-free varieties except seafood). i believe it took about 2 months for them to collect the updated info from the different product areas and then send it to me, and that was after turning it back twice because they were in guaranteed-value rather than as-fed format. just copy the column heads janet uses for the FF flavors on binky's food chart so the nutritionist knows which values you're going for. after i went thru all this, janet still did not accept the updated info i gave her so you might want to ask her what was lacking. i do have a google spreadsheet of the prior as-fed values on binky's chart, and the updated info prior to the latest change, for certain flavors (gluten free and nonseafood), and printouts at home of the ingredients in each such variety (where they're not using a catch-all like "natural flavors") as of last year prior to the current changes in ingredients.

frankly, if we're seeing changes in FF, i'd be pretty sure friskies varieties are also being changed, because they're made by the same company, nestle purina.

66. Kathy and Kitty

Being able to state that a food is produced in th US is a business asset. It is regarded as safer. Given the melamine tragedy of 2007, a pet food company would have to be crazy to REMOVE an asset from its label.

So, no, I don't buy it. And in fact -- I won't buy it, literally, anymore!

67. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The FDA Amendments Act of 2007 includes requiring changes to pet food labels. The act itself just said:
    SEC. 1002. ENSURING THE SAFETY OF PET FOOD.
    (a) PROCESSINGANDINGREDIENTSTANDARDS.—Not later than
    2 years after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary
    of Health and Human Services (referred to in this title as the
    ‘‘Secretary’’), in consultation with the Association of American Feed
    Control Officials and other relevant stakeholder groups, including
    veterinary medical associations, animal health organizations, and
    pet food manufacturers, shall by regulation establish—
    (1) ingredient standards and definitions with respect to
    pet food;
    (2) processing standards for pet food; and
    (3) updated standards for the labeling of pet food that
    include nutritional and ingredient information.
    Deadline.
    Regulations.
    21 USC 2102.

with no specific requirements specified. The following 2008 page discusses getting input to the new requirements :

http://www.petfoodindustry.com/ViewArti ... x?id=21800

I do note that the new label specially says: "Manufactured by Nestle Purina St Louis Mo(zip code that I can't read) USA". To me that is clear that it is manufactured in the USA. If it said distributed by Purina that would be different. Here is an excerpt from an FDA requirement:

Manufacturer's Name and Address
    The "manufactured by..." statement identifies the party responsible for the quality and safety of the product and its location. If the label says "manufactured for..." or "distributed by...," the food was manufactured by an outside manufacturer, but the name on the label still designates the responsible party. Not all labels include a street address along with the city, state, and zip code, but by law, it should be listed in either a city directory or a telephone directory. Many manufacturers also voluntarily include a toll-free number on the label for consumer inquiries. If a consumer has a question or complaint about the product, he or she should not hesitate to use this information to contact the responsible party.

from (says updated March 2010 so they may be the new requirments):
    http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/res ... 047113.htm

68. Kathy and Kitty

Larry, the OLD label said: Manufactured by Purina ...and... MADE IN USA.

The new label says: Manufactured by Purina ... and... LABEL PRINTED IN USA.

I'm not sure that "manufactured by" is an indication it was PRODUCED IN the USA. Following the information you provided, all it means is that Purina is RESPONSIBLE for it. Neither "manufactured by" nor "produced by" indicated where the product was actually made. It just means that the Purina company is manufacturing it -- but it doesn't indicate where. Since melamine was introduced into food primarily in China -- correct me if I'm wrong -- I prefer food made in the U.S.

I can't imagine any positive reason for this change.

Put that together with the fact that numerous cats are refusing to eat it -- suddenly -- and I get suspicious.

69. Larry and Kitties

"Produced in USA" would really not provide much more information than "manufactured by (A USA company). ALso, the "Manufactured by" is required now.

70. Kathy and Kitty

But what trumps "Made in USA"? The old label says MADE IN USA, as well as Manufactured by.

71. Jean and Charcoal

Kathy,

I really have to agree with you, that when we saw on the label "Made in USA", that was very reassuring, at least to me, although maybe I am being naive, but I too am going to stop buying FF for my Ketchie.

Is Wellness or Natural Balance canned foods better to feed our cats? I can't afford anything expensive, but if Ketchie is not going to eat the FF anyway, I am just throwing the food away, even as the other cats don't want to eat it if she doesn't touch it.

Ketchie is not eating very well today, and I am getting nervous as I have just been through a terrible time with her and the Interstitial Cystitis that she has. I had her to the vet's four times a couple weeks ago, and she just seemed to be feeling better, but she is not eating very well now. UGH...

Thanks for any food recommendations that anyone might have.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

72. ceil99

ceil99 Member

I have taken my Friskies back and now have my crew on Sophisticat. They seem to be ok with it so far

73. Kathy and Kitty

Could you tell me whether you're using the cans or the pouches?

Larry, I'm sorry if I seem testy. I'm just very upset about this. When you work so hard to improve the health of a diabetic cat, and the food suddenly stops appealing, it's a major barrier.

74. ceil99

ceil99 Member

75. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks. I'd love to know how it works out!

76. sommerbethel

sommerbethel Member

Buddy's numbers are increasing too. I just bought a whole bunch of the old cans and I'm seeing what happens over the next week with his numbers...I bet they go down...

77. Kathy and Kitty

We also bought old-label cans. Kitty's numbers are about the same, but he is eating with much more of an appetite. I'm not washing his plates of food down the drain1

78. sommerbethel

sommerbethel Member

If what I think is going to happen happens, I'm going to need to find a new food fast...I'm looking at Sophisticat, Special Kitty or Raw...I seriously hope it's not the food but then again I hope it is...at least it will give me some answers...

79. PeterDevonMocha

I got an e mail back from purina. I asked if the food was made in the usa still or not, based on what the label used to say, and what it says now.

Thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.

We appreciate your response. While some labels stated this in the past, due to spacing it was removed when the label was redesigned. We can assure you that Fancy Feast canned products are still produced in the USA, with the exception of two "flaked" varieties which state a "Product of Thailand" on their labels.

We hope you will find this information helpful for your use.

Again, thank you for visiting our web site

Mocha is still snubbing her nose at it, but is gobbling down the special kitty (wal mart brand) like nobodys business.

80. Kathy and Kitty

Some technicalities:

- A GUESS: I'm not a lawyer, but it's my understanding that "made in" and "produced in" are different statements legally. The latter involves being "put together" in the US, with parts that may come from elsewhere. Kind of like saying a shirt is produced here, even though the cloth, the buttons and the thread come from China.

- But they had room to say that the LABEL was made in the US? I know there are union issues about saying something is printed in the US, but there's a little symbol for that.

I guess I am just all out of trust.

I'm glad Mocha enjoys the new food! Maybe we'll try that next. No more Fancy Feast.

81. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

As a FYI - One of the Flaked varieties that was made in Thailand was the Ocean Fish Feast flavor. I saw some old label cans of it at my local Petsmart and went to pick up a few for Yittle because its one of his "I won't eat anything but I WILL eat that" flavors. We use it for special treats after rough days (vet visits) or when he's snubbing his food and we're not sure if he's really sick or just being picky etc. Well I popped open one of the cases and about half the cans had the little stickers on them that they sometimes use for coupons etc. The stickers said that sometime between now and summer of 2010 they will be discontinuing that flavor but that there would be plenty of other great flaked fish flavors for my cat. It also had a coupon for I think it was $1.00 off 24 cans. Needless to say I bought all of the cans that had the coupon on them, plus a few more.

So double-reason to stock up on old cans of that flavor if your cat loves it. Oddly, cans that had a 1 month later sell-by date on it did NOT have the coupons or notice (I popped open a few cases to check), and the other flaked flavor that I think is made in Thailand (Fish & Shrimp) didn't either.

82. Jean and Charcoal

I do know one thing. The older labeled cans 'SMELL' much better to me when I open them, than the newly labeled ones of the same flavors. I only have a few of the new labeled ones left, but I am not going to buy anymore, unless I find nothing else that Ketchie will eat. And that is a dumb statement, as she won't eat the new stuff anyway, so I guess I should be hunting for the old labeled cans as fast as I can.

This is all very disconcerting to say the least.

I did get three coupons in the mail from Purina for a total of 6 free cans! Whoopdee doo!!!! I was never writing to them to get free cans of food. I really think they believe that some folks are squawking about the food so they will send out free food coupons! UGH....

83. Kathy and Kitty

It's true, they think throwing coupons at you will make you go away. I guess it's nice that they care enough to do even that, but I wish they understood that what we really want is safe, tasty food for our furbabies.

84. Andrea and Seymour

Andrea and Seymour Member

Long time no post. Sorry about that!

In any case, I too have noticed a change in the FF. Seymour's numbers are all out of whack. I notice that when he eats the Gourmet Chicken (the one with the bright pink label) his numbers go up. This is the one he eats most often as beef gives him loose poo and so does fish. He is better with the Turkey & Giblets. He's basically a Hoover and will eat anything and hasn't turned his nose up at any flavors. However, his sister has. She just really hates any FF I buy.

I'd like to switch the food to another brand but am not sure which to choose. Friskies gives Seymour loose poo; 9Lives I used to feed, but then noticed a yucky smell too; walmart brand is ok, but they rarely have more than 1 flavor in stock if that. I also tried wellness which they turned their noses up at. What else is there to try? I would consider EVO but might have to hunt to find it and I'm not sure if that's a good option due to the higher fat content.

Thoughts?

85. Kathy and Kitty

Sophisticat brand seems to get Cat Seal of Approval -- at least, from SOME cats! :D I don't know where it's made, though.

Friskies is also made by Purina, I believe, so no surprise that it is creating the same issues.

86. Andrea and Seymour

Andrea and Seymour Member

darn, the closest petsmart is about a half hour away.

87. PeterDevonMocha

mocha has changed over to eating special kitty (wal mart brand) turkey and giblets with no problems at all. She inhales the stuff, and licks every compartment in her auto feeder spotless every night. And while it used to cost us 13.00 a week in her FF, the special kitty, because of the larger sizes and price difference, only cost us 3 something for the week.

88. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I cannot comment on how foods affect Squeak's bgs, but I can say that I have 2 very picky cats. They started out on FF and got picky, I moved to Superstore brand which is almost the same and they got picky, to friskies and they got picky, and now on sophisticat and they are getting picky. Honestly, I think that for my household, it is just my picky cats. And they won't eat Wellness or raw....They'd much prefer dry thank you very much....

89. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

I posted this in the other thread too.. but wondering if the FF cans are labeled differently than the Friskies cans? My Friskies can says this:

Mine expire oct 2011 & the code/lot # is 92891161 L13851337. Also says manufactured by Nestle Purina Petcare Company, St Louis MO 63164 USA.

It did say further down, that it was printed in the USA.. but also said manufactured by them in MO, USA.

90. Jean and Charcoal

Trying other foods with my cats....

Today, March 19, I spent over an hour with a magnifying lens in Petsmart looking at the backs of labels on the different foods. Guess I looked pretty dopey, even the manager asked if he could help me, but I told him I was just looking around. He said to take my time.

Gee, I don't take this much time to look at foods I eat. Anyway, I am really getting more and more disappointed with Purina foods. Plus several of the other main foods are not too great either. I bought some Sophisticat, two cans of Nutro food, one can of Blue Select I think it was called, and I did find some FF in the old cans, and got some of those.

Petsmart does not sell the Wellness, or Organix, or Natural Balance. I might try to get to a Petco one day and try one or two cans of that stuff. But they are all too expensive for me to keep up with.

I could kick Purina, for doing this to our poor cats' foods!!!

Below is an interesting website I found tonight while doing some 'food research'.

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?more=1&p=359

91. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

This is kind of OT for this thread, but last night I went out & helped TNR some kitties outside the shelter. There were 3 others there with me. We got on the subject of cats.. and the one guy there has been there longer than I have.. and he remembered Cher! He was glad to know I was the one that took her in.. and was VERY interested with my raw/wet food speech too. He seemed to really wonder about the wet vs dry. I told him the simplest thing I've ever done, and it's just common sense: Check the ingredients on the label! He asked about Science Diet, and I said, "It's all crap! Read the label!" So I think I at least got through one person last night in regards to wet. One of the ladies has an older kitty that is having kidney issues & has a bladder stone. She says her cat LOVES the pate Friskies, but only feeds it on occasion. I told her to seriously look into it.. especially for the older kitties.. they need the extra moisture for their kidneys & other organs.

I had just gone to Petsmart before that too, to look at food & get some more Friskies while it's on sale. I thought it was weird that lots of the dry foods & stuff were all turned around.. so you could see the back of the labels instead of the front of the bag. I was wondering if someone from here had been through there! LOL Or at least someone with J&B food chart. ;-) On my way out though, I was looking for some cheap dry dental treats for Misha, and it seemed like EVERY label in the store was turned around! So not sure if an employee was doing that, but it was very weird, and even had me looking around, wondering if some weird promotion or event was going on. lol

92. Jean and Charcoal

Hey, that's funny, Steph, about the turned around bags. I turned my bags and cans back to the way they were, though, so it wasn't I. HAHA! Plus I live in Maryland!

That link I added on my last post was very interesting but nauseating as well. I did NOT ever think that pet food companies could use ALL of the remains of animals that are slaughtered, for humans or other animals. They can even use (and this is really horrible) the FETAL remains from other animals, to make into dog and cat food!!! UGH, and double UGH!!!! That just really did me in. I was getting sicker feeling by the minute when I thought of how these big conglomerate companies are just out to make big bucks for themselves!

My sister told me last night, that she went to a Dollar General Store and was looking at their brand of "Listerine" (not the name brand) and she figures that this is how these companies get away with not putting "Made In USA" on their bottles. She said the off beat brand of Listerine said "Not made by the manufacturers of Listerine". But, it did NOT say where it WAS MADE!!!

I figure that as long as it says "Manufactured by the USA", it could be made in China, or Mexico, or Thailand, or anywhere that the US has a manufacturing plant that is owned by the USA. In other words, they could be using whatever they get in those countries for ingredients, and our poor animals get the 'raw end of the deal'. So sad....

93. Larry and Kitties

Some people may be putting more faith in the phrase "manufactured in USA". I could not find a definition for food but did find the definition for cars in:
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/maninfo/newManf.pdf

That document defines the "vehicle’s manufacturer" as "i.e., the actual assembler of the vehicle". I.e. means "that is to say; in other words ".

If that definition applied to food, then Manufactured in the USA would only mean that the ingredient were assembled (mixed and canned or bagged) in the USA not that the ingredients were from USA sources. In the business work, definitions are very important. What we think does not count, only the legal definition counts.

94. Sylvia

Sylvia Member

My 16 year old Siamese, Moka, has been radomly vomiting after eating the new Fancy Feast canned food. He has been on FF for years, and never had this problem before. I bought him some Friskies prime fillets - not quite as high protein as FF, but close, and that seemed to stop the problem Still have a "case" of the new label FF, so tried beef tonight, and he threw up clear liquid within a short time after eating. I found some old label FF and will give him that, cautiously, but I don't think I am a FF customer anymore. Anyone seeing this symptom?

Sylvia

95. Jean and Charcoal

Hi Sylvia,

Yes, I believe others have had this problem, but also the fact that their cats are refusing to eat this new labeled food. I have spoken and written to Purina about this problem, and they keep 'assuring me' that even though the food does not say it is MADE IN USA, that they are telling me it still is. I believe that as much as I believe a cow can jump over the moon! If it IS made in the USA, then they have done something drastically different with it. I will not be using the new labeled FF food for my Ketchie any longer.

I am even having trouble with the cats not wanting to eat the newer labeled Friskies foods too. I feel like there is something really strange going on, and I don't think this many of us are just 'paranoid' about these changes that Purina/Nestle has made to their cat foods. If our cats won't eat it, or they vomit or get sick in other ways after they eat it, something has to be very wrong.

Have you been able to find any of the older cans of FF at any stores around you? I tried to find as many as I could, but I have in between tried to feed Ketchie some other foods, and it is not 'catching' on too well with her.

Take care! I hope your Moka will be okay and that you can figure out something else that he will be able to tolerate well.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

96. mickeyminnie424

mickeyminnie424 New Member

Hi!

I had wondered why some of the labels have changed. My diabetic kitty, Roscoe will only eat a few of the cans mentioned. She'll eat the Friskies: Ocean Whitefish, SD - Salmon, SD Turkey & Giblets, Beef and Chicken, Beef and Liver, and that's about it. We also will feed her FF Elegant Medley's as a fill in when she won't finish all of the above mentioned foods. She usually throws up with the Country Style Platter, when she use to love it. Try not to feed that one to her. She will not eat the Mixed Grill or the Supreme Supper anymore. She is very finiky about the Merrick. Blue Buffalo was on the recall list, so I'm very hesitant about giving her that one or any of the others that were on that list. Why won't these companies own up to where they are made? I'll give her 9-Lives Chicken Dinner and Ocean Whitefish. What else is out there?

97. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

I have one non-diabetic that will throw up and then begin scratching his face raw on anything that contains wheat in any form in...as well as having 2 diabetics, one of which is diet controlled and one of her way there. So dry is definitely out here, as well as not a single one of my 13 cats in total will touch the 'high' end stuff...which with 13 to feed is fine with me and my wallet. :D However, every one of them loves Walmart's Special Kitty. I feed the Mixed Grill, Chicken and Liver, Whitefish and Tuna, and Turkey and Giblets. Now recently Special Kitty did change their recipe but as far as I can figure out is the only change is the addition of Brewer's Yeast, which is actually used to help maintain and lower blood sugar levels. And Ms. Musette (my insulin dependent kitty) is now running lower on her numbers than she was on Friskies..so far it has been a win-win for us!

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.