Famotidine Dosing Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Librarianista, Oct 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

Chloe was recently diagnosed with CKD, and has been having occasional nausea and vomiting. The vet doesn’t stock Ondansetron, so we have Cerenia and Famotidine. The first time we were on Cerenia, we were instructed to give 1/4 tablet. This time, the instructions say 1/2 tablet. They also say 1/2 tablet (5mg) for the Famotidine every day for 2 weeks.

Is that dose too high? The dose increase on the Cerenia leads me to believe that might be too much.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

What size is the Cerenia? They come in quite a few sizes. Perhaps they gave you a smaller one this time. I have the 16mg Cerenia pills and give 1/2. Unfortunately I can't comment on famotidine...your main question.

FYI can get ondansetron practically dirt cheap at any human pharmacy, just need vet to send script.

3. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

It’s the same size - I checked. And the vet didn’t mention sending it out to the human pharmacy. I asked specifically for that drug and they gave me these instead. But it’s the 16 mg, so I feel better knowing that’s what others get. Thank you!

FrostD likes this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I know literally everyone says it, but I do like the ondansetron better for nausea without vomiting. My vet called it into pharmacy right by my house, with a few refills

5. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

You can start off with 2.5 mg of Pepcid and then work up to 5 mg per day. Tanya's CKD site has a whole thing about Pepcid: https://www.felinecrf.org/appetite_loss_nausea_vomiting.htm#famotidine_dosage

Anti-emetics like Cerenia and ondansetron are often underdosed. Ruby weighs 12 lbs and she gets 12 mgs of Cerenia.

You can also get ondansetron from the Chewy pharmacy. It's very inexpensive and Chewy can contact your vet for the prescription. I give Ruby 4mgs each time, while my 9 lb Olive only gets 2 mgs.

Librarianista likes this.
  6. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Famotidine is typically dosed at 1/4 of a 10 mg pill twice a day, so 2.5 mg per dose. It’s relatively safe so you can go up a bit in dose if needed.

If you buy over the counter, be sure to get Pepcid AC (not Pepcid Complete), or it’s equivalent. Also be careful to get the 10mg rather than the 20mg pills, as both are available (and it’s difficult to cut a pill into eighths).

Famotodine is still my go-to, even though other choices like ondansetron have become more popular, at least around here. Famotidine was a game-changer with Charlie and has made a big difference with some of my other crew. And I like the OTC option so I’m not worrying about a prescription. However, ECID so whatever works for you is the best choice. :)

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A month or so ago I bought 30, 4mg tables of ondansetron for about $12 from a local pharmacy from a script from my vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.