eosinaphilic granuloma problem

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George&Bert, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

Hi all

My diabetic ten year old has been suffering from EG for years although it has been surpressed. But, now he is having the worse attack ever as it is in his sinuses and mostly back of throat. His breathing is labored and it's hard for him to eat.

He is presently on 3 mg predisolone BID and a Clindamycin capsule once a day 75 mg.

Any ideas please.

2. kathysammy

kathysammy New Member

I don't have any answers for you but am really interested in what the more experienced members have to say. Please see my post on the other health forum. I have a cat (non-diabetic) with the same issues. Only treatment tried so far has been Prednisone shots, Millipred pills, and Clomicalm pills (to stop the licking). That got the problem under control last fall, but the problem started back up really bad about 2 weeks ago. Does the Clindamyacin do any good???

I hope someone posts some suggestions so that I can see what they suggest we try!!! In the meantime, I will keep your kitty in my prayers!
    Kathy

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

George, could it be stomatitis? Ask your vet and others on the board about both conditions. I don't have experience with either one, but I feel your pain.

4. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

Thank you both!

I am about to change to Zeniquin as an antibiotic to see if that works. Will keep you posted.

Attached Files:

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

George I'm afraid that that does NOT sound like EGC. Could be a related immune-system thing, but AFAIK EGC doesn't affect the sinus or the inside of the throat. Does Bert have an internist on the case? Someone needs to get up his nose and down his throat to take a look at things, and probably biopsy. This could be herpesvirus or something fungal, etc -- he needs more diagnostics, I'm afraid.

6. kathysammy

kathysammy New Member

Jess,
    Can you please look at my post on the general health forum, please? Does my cat's problem sound like EG? We are going back to the vet next week. Although I have a great vet, sometimes I don't understand/remember everything he explains to me. All I remember from the visits last fall is the Prednisone shots and the words "eosinaphilic plaques".

Thanks so very much. Off to work again. Will check for more suggestions when I get home this evening. (Corporate recently installed software on the work computer, so I can't check FDMB, Facebook, or many other websites now.)

7. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

Hi Jess

I intend to see another vet this week on this problem.

My vet hauled out a huge vet book and showed me photos of cats with EG that showed it on the tongue, throat and roof of mouth. And it looks a lot like the pics and descriptions. Plus he has been suffering form it for many years some in the lung and some that form a ring around his neck.

Because of Bert's asthma and lung problem thet vet is slow in wanting to knock Bert out to test further unless absolutely necessary.

I was told by a friend to seek out a vet that does laser surgery in such cases.

Thanks for you comments.

8. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi George

Do you have the option of seeing an internist?

I know they can cover the skin and the mouth and create swallowing issues by forming at the back of the tongue. Within the throat, the lung lobes, or the sinus cavity though? -- you'd have to convince me with a biopsy. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying that there are plenty of other suspects, some of whom are more likely. Also, ECG can frequently, though not always, get knocked back quite nicely with steroids alone, or steroids + cyclosporine if nothing else.

We might be having a vocab issue -- there are granulomatous diseases that affect the airway, just not the classic EGC.

If he is having issues--and it sounds like he's having serious issues--I'd get him to an internist who can do one single knockout and get biopsies +/- surgery (by a boarded surgeon) to remove airway-clogging growths.

Just my $.02. Keep us posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.