Ear drops with Prednisolone

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Annie & Kozmo, Aug 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annie & Kozmo

Annie & Kozmo Member

Kozmo came home from a visit to his vet (for a reoccurring ear infection) with a two-week course of Clavaseptin and Canuaral suspension ear drops which contain 2.5mg/1g of Prednisolone.

Kozmo’s diabetes was triggered by a course of steroids and I’m wary of them. My husband said it’s only topical so there’s no need to worry.

I’m worried over nothing, right?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Heck I'd be worried too! Waiting with you to see the responses...oi!

Annie & Kozmo likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Annie,

My, but isn't Kozmo a looker! :cool:

My Saoirse developed a hotspot once. My vet prescribed a topical steroid for that. (She was out of remission at that time.) For the few days I used the cream it didn't have much of an impact on her BG levels, but ECID.

IIRC, for diabetic cats with comorbid IBD requiring steroid treatment prednisolone (injected) is the preferred treatment choice because it doesn't impact BG levels as much as prednisone.

Sorry I haven't much to contribute. Hopefully other members will also be able to share their experiences with you.

I can fully relate to your worries about using something containing steroids (I was like that with foods and any novel meds). Given that infections can also adversely affect glucose regulation, perhaps it might turn out that the short course of the ear meds might be the lesser of two evils.

Fingers and paws crossed that Kozmo will be fine and that his infection will be cleared up very soon.

Mogs

4. Annie & Kozmo

Annie & Kozmo Member

:):):):)
    Hi Mogs (cool name!), it’s a pleasure to meet you.

I agree with you about the infection meds being the lesser of two evils. It reoccurs every few months and is a beggar to get rid of, so it’s important that we hit it on the head as swiftly as possible.

Thanks for your input :)

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Likewise, Annie! :)

Please give that handsome fella of yours some scritches from me. :cat:

Mogs

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ohh I hope thats the case for Kozmo.

Annie & Kozmo and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Hi Annie I worry over everything so you are Fine . Kozmo is Beautiful Please let us know how he is doing ...

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Both my diabetic kitties got tresaderm ear drops which had steroid in it. It didn't affect them glucose wise at all.

Only suggestion I have is that if you notice glucose rising, stop it and tell vet. Maybe there is another option that can be tried.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Prednisolone is not that potent of a steroid. I have used Tresiderm on several of my diabetic cats and it caused large increases in BG/insulin needs. Dexamethasone isa the steroid in Tresaderm and is more potent than prednisolone.

10. Tebinn Guil

Tebinn Guil New Member

Hi, I am also giving prednisolone to my cat. But, my confusion is that the kitty is also having guaifenesin tablets. Will this combo create any trouble?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I could find no information on any interactions of pred and Guaifenesin. What does your vet say?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.