Dusty - "ON the juice" since the first week of November 2015

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shankb, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shankb

Shankb Member

Greetings! I wanted to briefly post an introduction. I am often browsing the boards from my phone, so I haven't yet had an opportunity to post a proper introduction. First of all, thank you all for your sound advice and tips. Dusty is a 15 year old male (was 16 lbs, now is 12 lbs) who has recently been diagnosed as diabetic. Currently he is receiving 3.5 units of Lantus AM & PM, and is headed towards 4 units because his BG is still not where it should be and he still exhibits symptoms (excessive water consumption, etc.). But it is obvious he is feeling much better.

Unfortunately, his diagnosis was overlapped with a work trip so he spent a few nights at the vets as he was getting regulated and he came out with instructions to start at 3 units AM/PM, but to monitor BG at home and work with the vet to modify the dose. Shortly thereafter, I went on vacation and had a sitter administer insulin, so we held the dose at 3 units. Recently, I've been working on slowly increasing the insulin to bring down his BG.

I have been using the LogFrogDB app to log his BG tests and insulin doses, but will transfer them over to a google spreadsheet and insert a proper signature. We test with Alphatrak 2.

Shannon & Dusty

Attached Files:

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi welcome to you and Dusty-love that pic! It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. I'm so glad that you are home testing, that's the most important thing you can do for your sugar kitty. Lantus is a great insulin and if you have any dosing questions, post in the Lantus forum where there are some very experienced people that will be glad to help you. Again welcome and good luck.

3. Shankb

Shankb Member

Thank you!

Question - I know in my readings I came across the template for the google spreadsheet somewhere, but now in my searches I cannot find it. Does anyone have the link handy? Thanks in advance!

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

5. Shankb

Shankb Member

Thanks!!

6. Shankb

Shankb Member

I just posted in the Lantus group - looking for general guidance now that I have completed the spreadsheet.

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The column labeled U is to enter the dose give.
    AMPS = morning pre-shot test, to make sure it is safe to give insulin. Until you have data to support its safety, we suggest you not shoot below 200 mg/dL.
    PMPS = evening pre-shot test
    +# = any test taken # hours after the shot. The nadir, or lowest glucose post-shot, is frequently in the +5 to +7 hours range for Lantus, Levemir, ProZinc, and PZI. The nadir is not fixed; it can and does vary day to day.

Shankb likes this.
  8. Shankb

Shankb Member

Thank you! And also, just confirming that I shouldn't shoot below 200, using the alpha track, correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.