Duke's BG high after vets visit, Do i give same dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teetee (UK), Feb 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Any help regarding Duke's dose please.
    Duke was at the vets about 2 hours ago and she took bloods from him and now his PMPS has risen up to 19.5 mmol/L (351 mg/dl). I'm hoping this is a stress reading, should i keep the same dose and am i to expect a bounce in the next day or so.
    Thanks.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Tee, since this may well be a blood rise due to stress it may well come down again on its own... Therefore, if it were my kitty, I'd keep to my usual dose.
    Tagging Janet @JanetNJ though because I think she is very familiar with Duke's case.

Eliz

Teetee (UK) likes this.
  3. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Thanks Eliz.
    I have just given him his normal dose, hopefully it is stress but i'm expecting a big drop in the next 2-3 hours.
    Strips at the ready.:)
    It looks like they struggled taking blood judging by the 4 attempts they made on his neck.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Same dose. :)

Teetee (UK) likes this.
  5. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Thanks Janet.
    It's really disheartening seeing a pink again after nearly 3 weeks. :( :arghh:
    I just hope it does not upset his rhythm.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's no biggie. He just got nervous. :)

7. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Lol, me and everybody else as well.:)
    You're just calmness personified.

Elizabeth and Bertie and JanetNJ like this.
  8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Looks like it settled down really quickly, Tee. :)

...I know how frustrating it can be to see a pink in a sea of blues, greens, and yellows. But at least you do know the reason for the higher number (sometimes we get a higher number and never know! :confused:).
    Your hometesting has shown you how Duke's blood glucose can be affected by the stress of a vet visit. And it's shown you how easily he can get over that.

Eliz

9. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Hi Eliz
    It was a very pleasant surprise that he did get over it very quickly, even a couple of greens last night plus nice normal low number this morning, i was expecting a bad night with his BG all over the place, happy days. :) I'm not expecting any decent low numbers today as i'm sure i gave him a slightly less dose AM. It's so hard to get it bang on with only half marking on the syringe.
    One thing is that the vet was very pleased with his progress and the testing we do, so much so that he doesn't need to go back for three months unless he has a problem with his bloods that were taken yesterday. But he does need dental work in the next few weeks.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.