? Dosing: where to now? Vetsulin PM Shot due

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TankNRK, Jan 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Lando's been trending downwards with his numbers (yay!) And even hit below 70 with .25u last night from a 180ish PMPS. I have a feeling he may have dropped so low last night is because he was being so playful, we played for over an hour together and I think that exercise was good for him! (He's been feeling great lately and numbers have been fantastic!)

Now 24hrs later, bouncing from his low drop.

Do I keep holding .25u?

Do I lower the dose since he hit below 70?

Do I increase his dose for now? (I assume I just patiently wait out the bounce but I just wanted to be sure because .25u isn't gonna do much for his 300+ he currently has)

I've been wanting to get in a curve back when he was at .75u but the day I was going to I gave a furshot, but then we started decreasing. Was hoping to do a curve tomorrow but haven't held the dose very long at .25u and now that he's bouncing I'm unsure if there will even be a point.

Any insight is appreciated on where to go from here. Thank you!

2. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Went ahead and gave the .25u tonight, still hoping for guidance on moving forward with crazy ol' Lando tomorrow :)

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Tagging Suzanne and Melissa for you
    @Suzanne & Darcy

@FrostD
    If you should the dose

The sticky says for Versulin
    Changing the Dose

Hold the starting dose for at least a week UNLESS

• your cat won’t eat or you suspect hypoglycemia
    • your kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L). If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately.
    After 1 week at a given dose perform a 12-hour curve (i.e., testing every 2 hours) OR perform an 18 hour curve (i.e., testing every 3 hours). Note: Random spot checks are essential in order to "fill in the blanks" on your kitty's spreadsheet. The goal is to learn how low the current dose is dropping kitty prior to making dose adjustments.

The general guidelines for making dose changes are:
    • If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit
    • HOWEVER, there are some situations which signal that a larger than usual dose reduction is needed. If you are unsure, please post on this forum or in the Health forum and ask for input about your dose.

TankNRK likes this.
  4. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Running with .25u again, AMPS 285...

5. Gus the Furminator

Gus the Furminator Well-Known Member

Hey Tank.

This is kind of the issue we see a lot with Vetsulin.

It drops them low enough that SLGS says we need to decrease but because it’s not a long acting insulin, you’re still getting those high PS BGs. I find Vetsulin has its limitations when kitty is on a low dose with low nadirs…

I might start thinking about a long acting insulin or maybe a sliding scale guide (ie: if PSBG is x amount - shoot x amount) would work but that is above my experience level.

I’ll tag a few that might have more feedback or may be able to help with a sliding scale

@FrostD
    @Suzanne & Darcy

TankNRK and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  6. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

I made another post today and got some feedback so I think we have a good idea of sticking with the .25u for a little while longer then running a curve next week to decide if that's good for now or to increase to .50u since we skipped it.
    In the meantime I've texted my vet about switching to Glargine! Just need to find all the details on how she needs to write the script and if it's a more affordable option to do pens/vials or get Lantus/generic depending on the coupons available!

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

But if you get a low preshot don’t shoot the full dose. You may need to skip or just do a .1 dose or something like that. Post for assistance if any questions.

Gus the Furminator and TankNRK like this.
  8. Gus the Furminator

Gus the Furminator Well-Known Member

Apologies, I thought this was the most recent post ;) glad you got the help you needed with dosing

TankNRK likes this.
  9. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Me too. I just received a tag today.

TankNRK likes this.
  10. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

It's okay! You all do a lot for us and there's so many who need help all the time, I understand and appreciate you all. I wish I could send you all flowers for all your guidance and support <3

Chrispooky12 and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.