Dosing, once again

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Breanna H, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Breanna H

Breanna H Member

Hello all!
    I am finally hoping I have enough numbers and mid day checks to get some new dosing advice. I got my husband on board with checking Tigger's sugar once during the day for me. And I have been getting them every night before bed.
    I may be completely wrong because I still don't fully understand, but I'm thinking it's time to up Tigger's dose to a full unit? It seems like he drops roughly 100 points each time and it's never into a green number. To be considered "regulated," he needs those green numbers, correct?
    We have a vet appointment next week and I'm going to turn down the fructosamine draw since I have quite a few numbers of my own. But how do I know if Prozinc is the right insulin for Tigger? It seems like most use Lantus. Is this a question I should ask the vet about switching?
    I feel like we are heading away from hope of remission and not towards it with his higher numbers. I was getting a lot of blue and now not so much.
    Started him on zobaline for his neuropathy as well so hopefully that will help in the coming weeks. Not too bad, but he is still stepping in his pee in the box and getting cement paws and tracking litter everywhere.
    Any advice on my issues (haha) and dosing? Thanks guys!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Thank you for some additional tests, especially the night cycle ones.
    If this were my cat, I'd increase the dose of Prozinc to 1U.
    Hold for 3-6 cycles. 3 cycles would be 1 and a half days. 6 cycles would be 2 full 24 hour periods.
    Keep testing both pre-shots and somewhere in the middle of the cycle.

Come back to check again with us in no more than 3 days.

Lots of people here use lantus, because there are more people that understand it better and help out with making suggestions and things to try with those lantus members. Not as many of us around that understand Prozinc and can help you with the dosing.

Prozinc is a good insulin for cats. We've had a couple members in the last month have their cats go OTJ, diet controlled, into remission. Easier to adjust the doses, no depot effect to account for, more flexibility in the dosing schedule and making changes.

Oscar is on Prozinc, and they are in the middle of an OTJ trial right now. A couple of other people in Feline Health that are getting close to remission, but not there yet.

Read through the stickies in the lantus forum before you decide to switch. Read through several threads over there in that forum and follow along with what people are doing. Think about what the support "style" is like over there and how much help you need.

Notes on your SS with the foods AND treats you feed would be nice to see. Helpful for those of us looking at the SS to see if a particular food is impacting the BG readings. Those notes would go in the Remarks column on the far right of the SS.

3. Breanna H

Breanna H Member

Thank you! Will go up to 1u and see how it goes. Also, I will do some research on lantus just to see. I'll update in a few days! :)

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Ok Breanna. Sounds like a plan.