? Dosing help

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Adam2020, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Adam2020

Adam2020 Member

We switched his food from Head to Tail which is Aldi brand to FF. His numbers dropped . I did a curve and saw they didn't really drop like we thought they were. I usually change the dose myself by.25 but now looking at his curve I think his dose wasn't high enough. I am not sure what dose to give him this morning ? Maybe 1 3/4 ? He is on Prozinc 1 1/2 right now. Or should I go to 2 which I know is a jump.

2. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Copying from my facebook comments:
    If you just switched his food, I would stay at 1.25u.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I saw your post on FB. One of my concerns is that you don't have enough information to guide dosing. Let me try to explain.

The dosing for most insulin is not based solely on pre-shot numbers. You need to know how low the dose is taking the numbers (i.e., the nadir). A curve is informative in several ways. First, it gives you information about when insulin onset and nadir fall along with the degree of duration the insulin provides. You really can't tell any of that from the curved you ran. Chances are that Adam was in lower numbers during the PM cycle on 12/29 -- his AMPS today was lower than what you've seen other days. Thus, the curve was likely atypical.

It would be helpful if you could get some sort checks during both the AM and PM cycles. The minimum number of tests you need is the two pre-shot tests and at least one additional test each cycle. Getting a curve once a week would also be helpful since you need some idea of when onset and nadir fall. And keep in mind that nadirs can and do change.