Dosing Help - Caninsulin PMPS 16.3

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KyraCat, Aug 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Evening all!

I have just tested Kyra and he is 16.3 PMPS - this is our lowest evening reading - No Idea how much Caninsulin I should give him tonight.

As you will see from the SS we had upped it from 4.5 to 5 but as of last night and this morning I have only given him 4.75.

Thanks in advance for your help and support on this!

2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Not really related, but have you considered to feed him something other than Whiskas?
    He's on a pretty high dose, and the reason could be Whiskas. They have lots of corn, byproducts and the most tragic...they add sugar. Seems like your counteracting the Whiskas with insulin or vice versa.

I'm also new, and you shouldn't make these changes without someone with more experienced than me, guides you to it and adjusting dose.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Hi Sasha!
    Thanks for the message - we have actually been seeing some really good results since we moved him on to the Whiska's wet food - before that his numbers were not budging at all.

Hopefully I'l hear from someone soon - I think Kyra knows we have missed part of his evening routine lol!

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I dont know the contents of Whiskas but maybe keep in mind this simple little rule. "Sugar feeds diabetes";)

5. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

6. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

I understand and of course I want the best for Kyra. Unfortunately cost and feeding all 3 cats does make it difficult.

We are trying our best.

7. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

The cheapest is much more expensive. They poop more, need to eat more to get full. Where are you from?
    What about raw? It can be done fairly cheap

8. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

I really was just looking for dosage advice on this thread.

I will continue to look in to better food alternatives, at the moment Whiskas has been working well for Kyra but that's not to say we will stick to that option.

9. jt and trouble (GA)

This is totally understandable. I know what you mean. We dont have 3 cats but hubby had to close down his glass shop. let all his guys go and now we are of the millions waiting to see if our government will give us the pittance. I just spent 30 bucks on low phos food for Zoe and I dont even know if shes gonna eat it.
    You might want to look at Friskies pates. They are low carb and come in larger cans.

Deb & Wink and KyraCat like this.
  10. jt and trouble (GA)

:oops: sorry I guess we did veer off topic. My apologies.:blackeye:

Deb & Wink and KyraCat like this.
  11. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I tried to do some poking around about Whiskas and it seems wishy-washy about whether it's high carb or not. Perhaps @Elizabeth and Bertie would know but it may be nothing to worry about, especially if Kyra is showing improvement. It seems some cats do not experience a sugar spike with it, from what I've seen written about it.

@KyraCat, have you discussed Kyra's spreadsheet with @Deb & Wink before? She's one of the few people comfortable talking doses with in-and-out insulins. Kyra's on a fairly high dose however we're seeing some blues so I'm hesitant to have an opinion on anything. May I ask what dose was Kyra started on? What made you increase from 4.5 to 5u?

12. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thanks @Panic he really has made improvements since being on it. I'm just looking in to Feringa food now, after just finding a UK version/section of the food chart.

I don't think Deb & Wink have looked at the chart... As far as I know.

The increase from 4.5 to 5 was made by the vet last week however, as you can see we have had some pretty quick results from it, hence going down to 4.75 as per Sienna's advice on another thread.

He initially started on 1 unit and has gone up half a unit every 2-3 weeks.

13. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Okay good, then it's important to know (in case Sienne didn't explain it) that we usually increase/decrease in .25 units, not half units. It's very easy to bypass the "perfect" dose by jumping past quarter units.

I'm on mobile and have a terrible time maneuvering around (oh how I miss my computer tabs!) but if you go to the Caninsulin forum you'll find a sticky near the top with protocol instructions for determining doses. As a run-down, any test under 90 earns a .25 reduction, and you want to hold each dose for 7 days before re-evaluating (unless a reduction is earned). If you wait too long to increase the dose, glucose toxicity sets in.

Think of it like this: your cat needs to be on 3 units of insulin. Cat has been on 2.75 for two weeks and is long overdue for an increase. You increase to 3u but it's still not enough. So you have to increase even more to "break" the barrier that formed, possibly increasing several times before that is achieved. Once broken, the cat is suddenly earning reduction after reduction very quickly, and they are back down to the perfect dose.

I'm not saying glucose toxicity has set in in Kyra's case, but waiting 2-3 weeks for a needed increase can cause it. By following the protocol you'll learn how to avoid holding the dose for too long. It also had guidelines for pre-shots being lower than you're used to, and how to determine what to dose.

14. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I'll also add that your AMPS and your PMPS are virtually the same number; there is a 20% meter variance and even without it PM is barely lower than AM.

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

My knee jerk was, "Why did you mess with the dose?" since the cycle looked good today. But, it's looking like you know your cat given the +3. I would encourage you to get a +4.

One suggestion -- I would have gotten a test after your AM +6 just to be sure the numbers were on the way up. Nadirs can and do change. It it was a possibility to get that additional test, it would be reassuring to know that numbers were rising.

16. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thanks @Sienne and Gabby (GA) and @Panic

I know it was looking soo good fro numbers!! I realllly didn't want to mess with the dose last night but I got nervous being our lowest PM reading and knowing we wouldn't be able to do a +6 reading. 4.75 just felt so high for me with how low it has been dipping him. I obviously over estimated the reduction as you'll see he has paid for it this morning with a amps reading of 533 (29.6).

So I think I understand now - Using his past 2 days as an example (8th & 9th August). When he got his 85 at his +6 reading on the 8th he earned a reduction of .25 taking his does from 5 to 4.75 for his PM shot. Then, because no further 90 or less reading happened last nights dose have stuck to the 4.75 (but with us doing at least up to a +6 check to be on the safe side). I should now keep him on 4.75 for a further 12 days (that takes us to 2 weeks on that dose) at which point I could up it to 5 units, if the numbers have not been coming down - unless during these 12 days he earns a reduction of .25. Am I on the right track?!

17. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No....you don't want to hold a dose longer than 7 days if it's not getting the results you want.

If during that 7 days, he drops below 90 again, then yes, he'd earn another reduction.

@Panic was just using the idea of holding the dose for too long (2 weeks) as an example of how glucose toxicity could set in by holding the dose too long

18. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Oh I see, thank you! Glad I double checked now!!

I've noted it on the spreadsheet when I am due to up it, if he hasn't earned anymore reductions by then.

Just to double check another thing, having read the Introduction to Caninsulin thread it says to perform the curve after 7 days on the dose used. So would you say on the 7th day do the curve and then determine from that (and the previous days numbers) that the dose should be altered. I've put it on the SS when I should do the curve if that is the right time to do it...

19. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, that's fine....but if you can get tests sprinkled around at all kinds of different times in the cycle, it's not always necessary to do an official "curve".

The problem with relying too much on just a curve is that it's only a record of 1 cycle on 1 day. You gain more information by getting tests at different times on multiple cycles.

20. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thank you! I'll stick to random testing and see if I can do a curve later in the week.

jt and trouble (GA) and SashaV like this.
  21. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Jemma, it's good to see that the numbers are gradually improving.
    That was a nice smooth day on 9th Aug. And by the +3 test after the PM shot it absolutely looked like you had made the right call to reduce that PM dose. ...It is 'possible' that Kyra's blood glucose dropped lower later in the cycle (she seems to drop up to +6 at times) and triggered a bounce up to that black number the next morning. But then again, that occasional smattering of black numbers doesn't seem to be explained just by dropping to low numbers, or just by the speed of the drop... There have been situations where she's dropped very fast, or indeed fairly low (to that 4.7) and yet didn't bounce to black... ...Sometimes the pattern of numbers just can't be explained... (My first diabetic had numbers that were all over the place at first, with no clear indication at all of 'why'...) ...But do be reassured that the numbers do seem to be improving over all. :bighug:

What is your feeding schedule? Are you feeding twice a day or more frequently than that?
    Caninsulin is one of those insulins where food can often be used to manipulate the insulin cycle. For example, it can be helpful to feed and then wait 20 - 30 minutes before giving the insulin shot. This is to give the food a chance to get on board before the insulin starts working. So, the sequence becomes, Test, Feed, Wait, Shoot.
    Some people also feed a snack (or part of the main meal) an hour or hour and a half after the insulin shot to slow down the rate at which the blood glucose drops in the first half of the cycle, or ensure that the kitty has food available to snack on until the insulin cycle is past the peak. And conversely, some people withhold food in the second half of the cycle to slow down the rate at which the blood glucose rises.
    This is just general info, things people have found helpful. But in Kyra's specific case you may find it helpful to feed little snacks on cycles where it looks like she's dropping fast.

The Whiskas food is usually fine. Lots of Europeans with diabetic kitties feed it. Yes, it lists 'sugar' in the ingredients list, just as many other foods do. But this doesn't necessarily mean that it will raise blood glucose. 'Sugar' in cat food can mean a lot of different things... Since you're hometesting you could always experiment with a few foods that don't have sugar listed in the ingredients, and see if that makes a difference to your kitty.
    To be honest, what concerns me more than 'sugar' in Whiskas cat foods is that they seem to be making more and more of their foods with 'vegetable protein extract' now; and in a minority of kitties this can really spike blood glucose significantly.

On a side note, I see you can buy from Zooplus, and there's lots of options there. Do have a look at the UK food list below, which lists a lot of Zooplus varieties, some of which shouldn't cost much more than the Whiskas, and some willl have lower water content so you sort of get more meat for your money. For example, on the UK Zooplus site there's packs of Feringa 'classic' 400g cans that work out at just above £3 per kilo, compared to the Whiskas pouches at about £2.60 per kilo. The Bozita tetra packs in jelly and the 400g pate cans are a similar price. The Smilla 'tender poultry' and 'tender beef' 400g cans are a good price too, with some very similar to the Whiskas. If you decide to consider a change of food these might be worth experimenting with...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J5JpMe6TDXrHq_aTl9hUtHy6Gs9oRBqlz4nPGKxtySA/pubhtml

You don't necessarily need to do a 12 hour curve with Caninsulin.
    With Caninsulin, because it's often quite fast and short-acting, it can be helpful to test hourly at first until the insulin cycle is past its peak and the blood glucose is clearly rising.
    After the peak of the cycle testing isn't 'so' important, and any tests you do want to get can be spaced 2 - 3 hours apart (or if the kitty has had enough you can leave it at that point until the preshot test). This is because most of the action that you really need to know about can happen in those first hours. You may be able to spot useful things such as when the insulin starts working ('onset'); how fast the blood glucose drops; and when the lowest number of the cycle typically happens (insulin 'peak'/blood glucose 'nadir'). ...Or, since Kyra 'seems' to have a slightly later nadir than is typical with Caninsulin (it's often about 4 - 4.5 hours after the shot, and Kyra's seems to be as late as 6 hours after) you could consider tests at 1.5 hour intervals if testing hourly is just too much... :rolleyes: ...It's important to remember too that the nadir (time of lowest number) isn't exactly a 'fixed point', it can shift about a bit, so we're really looking for patterns and trends.
    And, day to day, there is much to be learned from just doing pre-shot tests and spot check tests during the cycle (especially the first half of the cycle, and the hours around the likely nadir). If you can get 'some' tests each day then curves become far less important, because those daily tests usually tell the story better than a curve can...

You're doing great! Kyra is very lucky to have you caring for her. :bighug:

Eliz

22. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Hi Eliz,

Thanks so much for all of that information and support! I was looking at Feringa last night and have just ordered some to see if Kyra and his siblings take to it. We always used to use Zooplus before his diagnoses so I know it's a good place to order from.

Our routine is that I do his test at 6:45 (where he has a bit of Tuna as a treat) then the food bowls go down and he gets placed in front of his & he starts tucking in (during which time I am checking how much water has been drunk during the day, recording his BG on the SS and getting their next meal ready for evening/next morning). While Kyra is still eating, after about 15 to 20 mins from him starting to eat, I do his injection - At the moment that seems the best time to do it whilst he is distracted by food. He carries on eating after the injection and once they have all finished the food bowls are left out for all 3 of them to come back to as they like. Some days they show some self control other days it is all gone in a couple of hours. I am trying to stick to this (leaving the bowls out and what will be will be) as if I have to go back to work I won't be able to keep taking food away and putting it back out again. I hope that doesn't sound awful I'm just trying to stay practical for if ever we go back to normal....It's been a blessing working from home so I have been able to learn how to home test and get readings as and when (though I admit I need to be more flexible with the times I do - I get myself set in to rigid patterns!)

The 9th really was a good day for the numbers, maybe just a shame I under-did the dose for the PM shot. I wasn't surprised to see a black reading this morning with dropping the insulin so low on the previous shot but I hadn't thought of it being a bounce, good point!

I'll stay consistent with the dosage now (unless he earns a decrease) and will try and be more random with the checking. Will also see how the new food, should they like it, affects the readings too.

Thanks again the support is really appreciated!! It's so nice to see the numbers coming down but also a little scary at the same time!!

23. jt and trouble (GA)

OMG I remember that! I refused to think I could do anything right! lol But Trouble told me else wise...Well he and the good folks here.:p

Critter Mom and KyraCat like this.
  24. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I've used Caninsulin. For safety I can't recommend strongly enough always getting a check in the early part of the cycle, especially a +3 check (and Kyra's spreadsheet shows he can drop an awful lot from PS BG test to +3 BG level). Indeed, if you notice him get markedly hungry earlier than the +3 it would be no harm to do a quick spot-check there and then. Sometimes nadirs can be earlier than normal and a 'hunger uptick' can be a helpful signal of that.

Mogs

25. Elizabeth and Bertie

Jenna @KyraCat , that 29 today at +6 was a bit of a surprise... Although it is a similar pattern to yesterday morning... I wonder if Kyra is one of those kitties that gets a shorter cycle on a lower dose of Caninsulin... ...Although, the PM cycle last night seemed fine...

26. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Hi @Elizabeth and Bertie yes it was!

I had just done another test (+7) because of that surprise and gotten 25.4 - I wonder if the +6 was a dodgy reading?!

Are we still looking normal (ish) for him coming out of his bounce though? Still good to keep going on the 2units for a couple of days do you think?

27. Elizabeth and Bertie

Maybe try another day at least. It'd be good to see what the baseline blood glucose levels are on the 2 unit dose; and then maybe increase in small increments if it is clear that the dose does need to be increased.
    It'll be interesting to see how things go on the new food too.

I know it's frustrating to see erratic numbers. My Bertie's numbers were all over the place at first and it can take time for things to settle down.
    But your Kyra is in excellent hands with you. You really are doing wonderfully well! He is one lucky kitty. :bighug:

KyraCat and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  28. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

@Elizabeth and Bertie I'm actually not getting frustrated, yet anyway!! Haha

Just done his pmps and it is down from earlier in the day, this happened yesterday too. Is this a bit odd?

Happy to give the 2units at least another day, I feel like it's going in the right direct from the bounce but happy to alter if needs be in a day or two

29. Critter Mom

Duff test strip? Bounce that got tamped down a bit when the crystalline fraction of the Caninsulin kicked in? (It's supposed to come into play round the +7 mark in an 'ideal' cycle.)

Just chucking out ideas here.

Mogs

30. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

[QUOTE="Critter Mom, post:Bounce that got tamped down a bit when the crystalline fraction of the Caninsulin kicked in? (It's supposed to come into play round the +7 mark in an 'ideal' cycle.).[/QUOTE]

Understood duff test strip...the other bit I have no clue about :bookworm: What does the above mean Mogs?

31. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Jenna, Caninsulin is actually comprised of two different insulin types, 30% ‘amorphous’ and 70% ‘crystalline’ insulin. The amorphous insulin takes effect quickly, the crystalline is released more slowly. In dogs this can result in two peaks of activity. But in cats, because of their faster metabolism, there is usually a single peak. Occasionally it is possible to see that second peak of activity in cats, although more often the crystalline will just extend the cycle.

Edited to add: The reason I think Mogs mentioned this was because of the short duration you're currently getting... If the crystalline insulin wasn't doing its stuff that could be one possible reason for the short duration you're getting currently.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  32. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Oh I see!! That's interesting!

Thanks for the explanation :)

33. Elizabeth and Bertie

Jenna, it looks like it may be time to increase that dose a tad. There's no sign at this point that the numbers are going to come down any more on the 2 units.

BTW, has your vet ever talked to you about switching to a longer lasting insulin?

34. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

I was going to up it to 2.25 at tomorrows AM injection - I don't like to do increases in the evening, even if it is only a small one.

We have just recently switched vets, only saw the new one last week and because I had done a curve the day before where Kyra had a perfect 6 hour peak she wanted to keep us on caninsulin for the time being and see how we got on. She does know though that I am in the market for another insulin. Quick question about that - I can buy Caninsulin online for £20ish with a prescription costing £10 (compared to about £60-70 all in at the vets). I've tried searching for other insulins online (like prozinc, lantus etc) in case we did get moved on to another one but could never find anything. Are other insulins not as easy to buy online with a prescription like Caninsulin is? Are there some you can only get direct from your vet?

We were due to book in with the vets next week but I am going to get us all settled down again first. I kind of don't see the point taking him at the moment while his dose and readings need to settle back down again. Hopefully be settled to go the following week.

In other news Peringa may not be for us!! Will persevere but had to give him his Whiskas this morning just so he had food in his belly.

35. Critter Mom

You're a person after my own heart, Jemma. :)

Mogs

36. Elizabeth and Bertie

Jemma, yes, you can get all the other insulins, Prozinc, Lantus, and Levermir, with a prescription from your vet.
    Prozinc has been unavailable for a little while and has only very recently become available again. Ordinarily it's available to buy online from sites such as Petdrugsonline, Animed, etc. But stocks there are still patchy there at the moment. But apparently vets can now order it as they did before.
    Lantus and Levemir are human insulins and so are obtainable from ordinary human pharmacies with a prescription from your vet.

37. Critter Mom

Tip: Some vets may carry individual Lantus pen cartridges (3ml cartridge (IIRC?) and you draw up the dose from it with a U100 syringe, same way as from a 10ml vial). Worth enquiring about because it may work out cheaper. My information isn't current, but I've not seen single cartridges offered elsewhere (neither bricks 'n' mortar nor online pharmacies). The situation may have changed.

Mogs

jt and trouble (GA) and KyraCat like this.
  38. Elizabeth and Bertie

Very wise, always good to do increases when there's time to monitor...
    ..And he's had a better day today... (anti-jinx!!!!)

39. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Really happy I left it to this morning... 4.5 @ +4. Now by my understanding that's means I should put him back down to 2units as of tonight.. Yes?

40. Elizabeth and Bertie

Whaaaat??? Well, that was a bit of a surprise!
    Yep, those are the general guidelines.
    ...The 4.5 is actually a nice number, and 'in principle' you are testing sufficiently for your kitty to be able to drop to those kinds or numbers on Caninsulin, but...that is a very steep and unexpected drop... So, yes, in the circumstances I agree that back to 2 units is a good idea...

...Maybe that pancreas woke up again....?

41. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

I do hope it's woken up, time will tell...

I'll be testing him again in 15mins and will drop to 2 again from tonight then x

42. Elizabeth and Bertie

Jenna, was there anything else different that happened, apart from the small increase in insulin dose?
    Different food? Kitty throwing up? ...Anything...?

43. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

There was a hair ball sick this morning, but I honestly couldn't say if that was Kyra or his brother or sister.

Same mix of food (new change as a day or 2 ago) Whiskas and Feringa.

What I have stated doing is doing his test then giving a little tuna, before he would eat tuna as I did the test... I don't think he is having that much less than before though...

+5 6.9

44. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hi Jemma,
    Have no advice just followng your thread to see if it helps me sort out what to do with Hercs....Kyra is giving you a wild ride! Hang in there!:bighug:

45. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Tell me about it!! But then look at your Hercs with a 7.4 this morning . What are the doing to us?!?!!?

46. Hercule's mum

I know, right? I have no idea what is going on today! How does BG goes up after insulin shot? :confused:

By the way, I switched Hercs to Feringa also. I have sticked to Rabbit and turkey, and veal and duck. He will eat anything, so it doesn't mean much, but he does heartily reccomends them!:joyful:

47. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Yeah Kyra's went up after his shot the other morning when we had the low reading. I wonder if it's when the food has kicked in but the insulin hasn't quite... I dunno haha.

Aww glad Hercs likes it! I think I'll get him there just a slow switch out process I reckon. It really gives me the heebies seeing all the stuff in those tins

48. Hercule's mum

Yes!! and they smell awful too! Butanything to get BG under controol

By the way if you have zooplus points you can "buy" a trixie can cover with your points.... I feel much better with the cover.

49. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

I have one of the tin caps, love some zooplus points. Problem is I bought the ruddy great big cans haha. I'm having to use the lid from my sugar caddy to cover it up :joyful:

Attached Files:

50. Hercule's mum

oh, me too! I got the 800g for the best deal
    They do have the 10.5cm diameter can tops (91 points) if you decide you want to ever cover your sugar again....:smuggrin:

51. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Oh amazing! I didn't realise that, the one I do have was gifted from my mom. I'll get a bigger one on my next order :)

52. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Quick question, not urgent, but just want to know...

Do I need to chill out a bit with the testing? Am I being super cruel to Kyra's ears?? I am in a dilemma with being on Caninsulin that I don't want to miss his nardis (so testing between +2 to +4) but also getting +6 to be able to show if the peak has already passed by then (to help get us moved on to a longer lasting insulin) Plus I don't want to miss any tree green readings in case a reduction is needed on any given day (this bit maybe wishful thinking!!).

I know there are mentions of neosporin ointment, but what is the UK equivalent to that? Kyra doesn't appear to be in any discomfort but If I could make him feel better than he does I'd really like to.

I've had a quick look at other SS but I can't tell if I am about the same or way off what other people are doing...

53. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Jemma, for some reason I can't see Kyra's SS. ..I wonder if it's just me, or whether you've changed the permission thingy?

Given that Kyra can drop quite steeply at times I think you are very wise to test early on in the cycle, and it may be that you can concentrate your efforts on getting a +2 or +3. And that may clue you in to how the rest of the cycle might go, and alert you to whether you need to test more. Tests past the peak of the cycle are not so necessary with Caninsulin. But there is no escaping the fact that all test results help to build a picture of what's going on with our cat's diabetes.

I think many of us start to wonder if we are 'being cruel' with our cat's ears. I tested my first boy a crazy amount of times early on, because his numbers fluctuated wildly. But even though he was on insulin for nearly 11 years his ears were just fine, even with all that testing. And with Bonbon (adopted last year) I was sometimes testing her up to 12 times a day...
    The ears do actually start to bleed more easily. Those tiny pin pricks that we inflict cause the ears to produce more blood vessels (angiogenesis, I think it's called..). For that reason people here often tell newcomers to testing that the ears 'learn to bleed' because it can actually seem like that.

Are Kyra's ears looking a bit pink? That can bother us much more than it bothers them. The edges of the ears have very few nerve endings. But there are ways to minimise bruising. Are you remembering to press on the test site for a few seconds after pricking the ear, with a piece of cotton wool or folded tissue, or even just between clean finger and thumb?
    And a tiny weeny smear of Vaseline on the edge of the ear not only causes the blood to 'bead up' more easily, but also seems to help with healing.
    We don't have an equivalent of Neosporin here. I think it's because it's is an antibiotic ointment and we don't allow sales of over the counter antibiotics in the UK. A few people have used 'Emla' cream as a numbing agent, but I really don't know whether that actually works or not with regard to insulin shots. (I even read some articles on it and was still none the wiser after that...)

Eliz

54. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Just looked in here and Jemma - I can’t access your ss either. Maybe check permissions.

And Eliz - I hereby award you a pass with distinction in Feline Diabetes ‘A’ level.. no other student taking the exam could state the meaning of angiogenesis!!! ;)

55. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hahahaaaaa!!!! Thank you, dear Diana! :p xxx

56. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thanks Ladies and well done on the Distinction, Eliz :p

I was messing about with my signature last night and I've clearly ballsed it up lol. While I try and sort it out does this link work for you https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kQmCJ9IpYWEcwN2dw-U9Ck9soFMapQ2OVDvGwqhpkLs/edit#gid=5

His ears bleed pretty well for us, sometimes it can still take one or 2 pricks but I've found that we didn't need the vaseline. His ears aren't pink but have little lumps now, I suppose it's like a rugby player getting cauliflower ear.... I tend to prick his ears more to the centre, that's where the vet showed me and where we get our best droplets from. Kyra is an angel sitting to have his tests done, so maybe it's me being more worried about it than him?!

And yes after each test I press on the spot and make sure it has stopped bleeding.

57. Critter Mom

Learned something new today. :)

Yet ...

(I know. I'm obsessed. :rolleyes: )

Mogs

58. Critter Mom

Shhhhhhhh! The alogorithm'll hear you.

:p

Mogs

59. Critter Mom

That's a textbook Caninsulin response.

Mogs

60. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

No swearing allowed Mogs! ;)

61. Critter Mom

Mea maxima, maxima culpa! :oops:

:smuggrin:

62. jt and trouble (GA)

63. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

You guys have been having some fun....I got lost as usual haha!

Did any of you manage to see the SS again? I messed around with the settings fingers crossed it's fixed...

We may have had a fur shot this morning. AMPS 19.1 but now at +3 he's gone up to 20.8 (did a second test to double check and that was 21.5). Just wondering what does that do for our 7days on 2units. Does he get an extra day on 2 before we up it to 2.25 to make up for this mornings booboo? Or still up it after the original 7 days are up?

64. Critter Mom

Hi Jemma,

Shouldn't really affect things. You've got several days to go before your review. Unless something totally left-field crops up, if it were me I'd stick to the current schedule.

Mogs

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  65. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thanks!

He is just confusing me today....+6 and 19.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a more straightforward, lower day :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  66. Critter Mom

He's a cat. That's his job. :rolleyes:

The +3 could have been influenced by his preshot feed. Also meter reading variance (+/- 20%) could theoretically account for some of the difference.

Mogs

KyraCat likes this.
  67. Hercule's mum

Jemma, if it makes you feel better have alook at what hercules did today..... jumped in one hour from 10.6 to 25! Again, I was feeling smug that we were getting things right, than BOOM! I guess as Mogs say, they like to keep us on out toes.... Tomorrow will be a better day!

Critter Mom likes this.
  68. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

It's crazy isn't it! Or am I crazy one still being surprised by these readings :joyful:

Kyra just refuses to budge from 19 today, for all my spreadsheet nosey-ing I have never seen anything like it. I don't know whether to be impressed by the consistency of it or put out that the insulin hasn't budge him at all.....CRAZY haha!!

69. Hercule's mum

Well, if you gave me a fur shot this morning, this is a good thing?

KyraCat likes this.
  70. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

It was Matt who did the injection this morning and he is 99.9% sure there wasn't a wet spot. I put it on the form just in case, but who knows.

I'm just confused...constantly! haha

Critter Mom likes this.
  71. jt and trouble (GA)

Chocolate help this condition.

Hercule's mum and KyraCat like this.
  72. Critter Mom

Can I have an Rx please, doc! :cat:

(Preferably one that allows infinite refills...)

Mogs

73. jt and trouble (GA)

ABSOFREAKINLUTELY

Critter Mom and KyraCat like this.
  74. Hercule's mum

I need the prescription also, double strength since I am also terribly confused!

75. jt and trouble (GA)

If only chocolate was a cure for diabetes. sigh

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.