Dosing advice for Sir Fats the sugary ...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Alana & Fatty, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Previous thread: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/help-dosing-advice-for-fatty-repost-from-pz-forum.242975/

Hello again ...

Fattikins has been on 1.0U BID for 5 days/10 cycles. I thought I would try holding the dose a bit longer because he has been bouncing and I've switched his food to the lower carb renal over the past week.

I'm not sure if he is in a bounce from yesterday's surprise blues (that I overcorrected ... oops), or if it's time to try a dose increase.

Grateful for any and all insights. Thank you!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I think I would recommend increasing his dose. Up to 1.25U please.
    A bit concerned because the ketones had risen the other day, but were back down today.

Not enough insulin + not enough food + an infection/inflammation can lead to ketone production. Doesn't have to be all 3 factors either.
    Please be sure to check Fattikins BG's closely, and ketone test at least once a day.

Blood ketone meters alert you to the ketone levels sooner than the urine testing does. I see the note on your SS, that your vet thought the blood ketone meter might not be "accurate" or "reliable". Well, better safe than sorry IMHO. The blood ketone meters can alert you to a potential problem many hours before you will see the ketones increase in the urine.

p.s. Fatty, Sir Fats, Fattikins! At least 3 nicknames for your boy. Fun!!!!

Alana & Fatty likes this.
  3. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Thank you Deb! And oh yes, he has many more nicknames, including Squid. Why? Who knows.

Do you think there's any chance he's bouncing from the blues yesterday? I know they weren't that low, but they are much lower than what he's been seeing lately. I was just reading this: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...tion-of-bouncing-that-helped-gussie-i.184405/ so I'm torn between wanting to increase his dose tonight or "putting on my patience pants."

I will definitely keep an eye on the ketones. The urine sticks I have don't show anything until 0.5 mmol/L (apparently still within normal limits), but I'd like to be more cautious. I may have thrown away that $ at the emergency vet clinic, but like you, I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially where Sir Fattikins Fats Fatty the Squid is concerned!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Yes, it's possible that he is bouncing. BUT the ketones are worrisome.

Even if he is bouncing, the presence of ketones is more alarming than a possible bounce.
    When there are ketones in the picture, you need to be a bit more aggressive with the dosing. And make sure he eats enough food.

Different insulin being used for the cat in that thread you linked.

5. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Ah ... I have so much to learn. Thank you for your ongoing guidance -- truly truly.

I retested 30mins after his initial PMPS and he was dropping, so I went with 1.0U. His appetite and behaviour are great and I will monitor. I will test for blood ketones again tonight and boost his dose tomorrow AM to 1.25U. I stocked up on blood ketone strips and the pharmacist asked why I was testing so frequently. The funny looks you get for buying kitty supplies at a human pharmacy! :D

Deb & Wink and FrostD like this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Tell the pharmacist you are on the "keto" diet.;)