Dosing advice for Goat

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by rlindsey, Feb 14, 2022.

1. rlindsey

rlindsey New Member

Hi Everyone! Goat has been on Prozinc for a year now. He is healthy and has put on weight (too much). His drinking and peeing are normal. But he loves staying in the pink on his numbers. I try when I can to get more numbers in between doses. Any advice on how to get his numbers steady and below 300 all the time? He eats Friskies, 9 Lives, FF and sometimes Special Kitty pates and some Meow Mix and FF flaked ( No gravies). Also some Epigen 90 and Young Again Zero dry. He does not free reign on the dry. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

So with the gaps in testing and some of the numbers, it's a bit hard to advise. I suspect he may be hitting greens and then bouncing. That said, realistically I think you may need to look at Lantus/semglee.

If you want to give ProZinc a final try, here's what you'll have to do:
    - A curve once a week or close to it. That's testing every other hour for 12 hours.
    - A before bed/before you leave the house test each day, for most of us that's a +2 or +3.

After 2 curves and the data in between, I'll be able to give you a better opinion if ProZinc is even worth putting more time into, and how to adjust dose.

Or, you can say forget it I'm done with ProZinc, I want to try Lantus/semglee. In which case once you switch you'll still need to do the tests I mentioned above, and here's the reasoning -

I suspect you're fighting some glucose toxicity. His body has been accustomed to the higher numbers and now considers them "normal"...so he gets stuck there. And so holding the dose too long, like you have possibly been doing, is counterproductive. You have to keep methodically increasing (as long as it's safe) until you hit a breakthrough dose.

rlindsey likes this.
  3. rlindsey

rlindsey New Member

Hi, thank you for your response. I understand what your saying. The vet I have will more than likely not prescribe anything but Prozinc. I actually do think he might need a change in insulin. I will have to look for a new vet. I will try to get a curve this weekend. Thank you so much!

FrostD likes this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No problem! Just come back and reply to this thread or tag me once you have it done and I'll take a look.

5. rlindsey

rlindsey New Member

Thank you so much!

FrostD likes this.
  6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

*in the meantime, if you get a number below 90 at any time reduce by 0.25U

rlindsey likes this.
  7. rlindsey

rlindsey New Member

Hi, l had a question. Goat was 396 this morning and this afternoon he is 470. I just recently upped his dose to 1.50. Should I try to reset and just start over? I know I need a curve, but those are some higher numbers. Thanks!

8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Would you mind getting the 2022 tab going when you get a chance?

No, do not reset. Meters are allowed 20% variance, so it's all basically within variance. The reason the preshots are so high is because the dose is too low - they're usually the last two come down. ProZinc usually does not have good duration at high numbers, so as you get to a better dose it should last longer and bring the numbers down overall.

Resets never work, just prolongs time in higher numbers. Right now it doesn't appear dose is too high, but next few days and curve will tell. If it is too high, we'd just reduce not do a total reset

rlindsey likes this.
  9. rlindsey

rlindsey New Member

Thank you, I gave him the 1.50 and I will get some numbers tonight. I worked on getting the 2022 tab today and I guess I just can't figure it out.

FrostD likes this.
  10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Tagging @Bandit's Mom to help. Bhooma, no rush, just when you get a chance please :cat:

rlindsey likes this.
  11. rlindsey

rlindsey New Member

Hi, I got some pretty good numbers from Goat yesterday. I haven't seen blues in a while. I believe he may have ate some dry food before his pmps. Do I have enough numbers to adjust his dose if needed? Thank you

12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Nice blues! At this point you have to hold the dose. Increasing would make his nadir too low. Hold it for a week, and do another curve when you get a chance.

In the meantime, try to get whatever mid cycle tests you can after +4 - compare the 19th to yesterday. Based on the 19th I'd have said increase, possibly by 0.5U, but clearly we saw yesterday that's not a good idea. Since she's not super predictable/consistent yet, I don't want to rely on just one single curve.

Hopefully those preshots start to come down a bit since she's seeing good midcycle numbers, it does take some time

rlindsey likes this.
  13. rlindsey

rlindsey New Member

Thank you so much! I realize I have only been seeing the amps & pmps most of the time. I will try to get some more numbers and hold his dose. I was expecting his lowest number around +6 or +7, so that 104 kinda surprised me. Thank you!

FrostD likes this.