Dosing Advice for 10/11/2021

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Haylee&Tigger, Oct 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haylee&Tigger

Haylee&Tigger Member

Tigger has been on the 1.5U dose of Prozinc for quite some time. I wanted to give a chance to clear any bounces and adjust but its just weird how the numbers are playing out. One day during the day he will be high numbers but at night be in the blues and even had been in the greens. And then some days he will have some lower numbers during the day and high at night, and THEN some times will be high numbers around the clock. I am afraid of raising his dose because one night managed to make it to 42 (I know thats hypo numbers but I watch him like a hawk and have been through lower numbers with him previously). But he managed to make it there and I am afraid raising his dose will bring him too low but this dose is also not bringing him low enough around the clock. Any suggestions?

I also meant to add that he will be having his dental on the 19th this month and if that changes his numbers I don't want him to cruise too low. Also a question about that, should I still give him his regular dose at that time since I will not be able to test him and he will be under anesthesia? Should I skip the shot that day? How does all that work?

2. Haylee&Tigger

Haylee&Tigger Member

@JanetNJ
    @Wendy&Neko

Sorry... it seems like I only get replies when someone else tags people to help :(

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I wouldn't raise the dose until you see what happens after the dental.

I might give a half dose the morning of surgery because he won't have food.

Haylee&Tigger likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Your vet should give you instructions before hand on the dental morning shot. I expect it'll be half dose, unless he's running lower than expected. Vets should be monitoring BG during the time he's there. Some types of anaesthesia induction drugs lower the BG. Should that be the type your vet gives, you want to be extra careful in the PM. Test him when you get home, then again at PMPS to see if he's dropping by then. You don't want a cat with a sore mouth, not willing to eat, and dropping numbers.

Option B in dose is to raise him for a few days to see what happens, then take it back down before the dental. Your choice. If kitty has extractions or other major work, there could be inflammation that means higher numbers. And it turn higher dose. But it should be temporary once the inflammation goes down.

Haylee&Tigger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.