Dosing advice after more stable BG levels

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by (GA) Gypsy's Parent, Aug 14, 2019.

1. (GA) Gypsy's Parent

(GA) Gypsy's Parent Member

I have a solid five days at stable conditions. The Hill's m/d (not my first choice, but Gypsy likes it and it's lower carbs than dry). My commute is terrible and I measure and feed her twice a day at 14/10 intervals (6:30 AM, 8:30 PM).

Her numbers are getting lower and she has had no insulin for the last three times. I measured her BG this morning after she ate and it was 132. I have no idea what normal BG is after eating for non-diabetic cats.

I've been doing no shoot under 150 with ReliOn numbers. I have new needles on order that have 1/2 unit markings and I should be able to "accurately" measure 1/2 unit doses and guesstimate at 1/4 unit doses if needed.

She hates the lactulose, so I've switched to Miralax in her wet food. I have two other cats and I haven't been able to watch while she does her solid business :-/

I got a box of the ReliOn ketone test strips, but I don't yet have a sample. Her lab tests when she was diagnosed indicated no ketones. More research needed here to insure she is

Gypsy is a fairly inactive cat, but the last few days she has been a bit more interested in getting attention. TBH, I don't have much confidence in my ability to notice change.

In the absence of experience my plan would be the following:
    - No shoot under 150 (ReliOn)
    - Continue test twice daily
    - Monitor at max BG time post meal when no shoot (once I have a curve I might know when that is)

My next big change is to find better wet food she likes (I know about Dr. Pierson's site/list). Looking for 5-7% carbs, lowish P, contains liver, no fish (I have a bias against fish as I don't trust that the fish isn't high in mercury because I don't trust aafco. https://truthaboutpetfood.com/the-list/ Site can be a bit "out there" but in general has some good information.)

Thanks!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Your spreadsheet threw me off for a minute, then I realized you put your entries in upside down from the rest of us. o_O:) What a huge difference you started seeing right away when you switched to wet only! Gypsy is doing so well. The wet m/d is 13% carbs so you may see even better results when you find the 5-7% you want. Weruva and Tiki Cat are good brands to consider.