Dosing adv. cont. with new dose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JenaThompson, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

So guys we reduced dose and he is at 70 at +4 getting a little nervous

3. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Deb & Wink, JenaThompson and Panic like this.
  5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Someone is determined to get off the juice!

70 isn't too bad for +4, give him some low-carb food and test in half an hour.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

7. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

He ate some lunch he’s a grazer. Going to test in in a few mins.

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I don't think 0.10 is a drop dose

This was explained to me about a drop dose

A drop dose is accomplished by pushing the syringe plunger in as tightly as possible, inserting the needle into the pen/vial while continuing to tightly hold the plunger in, invert the pen/vial so the needle is at the bottom and then let go of the plunger. It sucks a tiny drop of insulin into the needle but you won't actually see any insulin in the barrel. It helps to practice this technique with some coloured water to ensure

9. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

im really going to have to practice

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I know it's a pain in the neck.
    I see Opi is up to 80 @+5

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  11. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Just trying to support Opi and give his pancreas more time to heal, with a tiny bit more insulin before you try an OTJ trial.

It is kind of nerve wracking when you get such low numbers using even a tiny dose of insulin, that 0.1U.
    Although, with Opi dropping down to that BG of 70 during today's 9/17/20 AM cycle, you may want to try only 1 drop.

Or an OTJ trial. Your choice.

12. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

I did the one drop. I definitely don’t want to rush him doing a trial. I will test him before bed tonight too so I can have some more info. What number should I def not shoot when I see it. When we started it was 200 but now that we are close to normal numbers.

13. Deb & Wink

I would not shoot normal numbers. So anything in the 80-120 range or less would be time to skip the shot, even the 1 drop shot and start the OTJ trial.
    You can always start Opi on insulin again, if his BG levels creep up too much.

This recommendation only applies to Opi, since he is so close to normal numbers now anyway.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Reason for edit: spelling fix - again
  14. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

Ok I will watch for that. His numbers at night are a bit higher so if we do have to skip in the morning should I skip at night too and spot check him before starting any insulin again.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  15. Deb & Wink

OTJ Trial instructions. For future reference. These were written with Lantus/levemir in mind, and cats on Prozinc don't often get down to the 80-100 BG range consistently. So take these with a "grain of salt" and adjust the BG levels up a bit higher for Prozinc. That 100-120 range that is mentioned in the instructions.

OTJ Trial Guidelines (These are the criteria we use when following an OTJ Trial.)

Here are the instructions for an OTJ trial: If on Lantus or Levimir, depot has to drain first before trial starts, about 3 days or 6 cycles. No depot with in and out type insulins (NPH, Vetsulin/Caninsulin, Prozinc). The trial starts when numbers are in the range of a healthy cat (50 - 80 mg/dL), but under 100 overall... with only occasional readings in the 100 - 120 range. Start the trial on the next green pre shot.

If you are posting in the Lantus/Levimir forum, please start a new thread each day which says ‘[Cat name] OTJ trial Day 1 BG xx’ (where xx is the BG reading for that cycle PM), then day2,3 etc. If you are posting in the Main Forum, we don’t require you or need you to do that separate post for each day. In fact, if you have never posted before over in the Lantus/Levimir forum or use a different insulin, you are fine staying in the Feline Health (Welcome & Main Forum). Or in the specific ISG (Insulin Support Group) for your insulin. We’ll cheer you on!

1. Test at your normal AMPS and PMPS times. Remember, you want a 2 hour fast before those AMPS and PMPS test times. Feed multiple small meals throughout the day as much as possible (small meals are less likely to overwhelm a newly functioning pancreas). The morning test is now called the AMBG. The evening test is now called the PMBG.

2. If your cat is green (0-99 mg/dL human meter, 0-130 mg/dL pet meter, 0-5.5 mmol/L) at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time, just feed small meals and go about your day. If the numbers are blue or higher (100-199 human meter, 130-230 petmeter, 5.5-11 mmol/L), feed a small meal and test again after about 3 hours. Food raises BG's. So if the number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!

3. Your cat may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.

4. After 2 weeks, 14 full days, if everything is looking good, we have a party!

Sometimes, the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support by starting the cat with a tiny dose of insulin again. I had to do that with Wink. We simply start the cat back on a tinydose of insulin to support the pancreas with healing for a bit longer. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to be safe now then sorry later that you rushed it. With just a little more time we will probably get that strong remission we are looking for.

16. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

perfect. Thank you. I’m so happy for him just to see him up and moving around way more and chasing his brother and sister again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.