Dose increase?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy & MiddieMittens, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Kathy & MiddieMittens Member

I asked on the facebook page but she didnt recommended to increase the dose she actually recommend to lower it and i understand why she did but mittens numbers have been all over the place lately. I know its because shes outside more being that its getting closer to spring.

I did decide that she would have a horrible quality of life living as an indoor only cat.

I hope to get some mid day cycle tests Tuesday this week i am dog sitting so i travel back and forth to give her shots.

Do you guys think i should stay at 0.75 or increase it?

Thanks so much you guys are amazing and i appreciate everything you help me with.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Who recommended decreasing the dose?
    Which facebook group? I know of several.

Give me a minute to look at the SS.
    Be right back.

3. Deb & Wink

Can't tell from the SS if Middie needs a dose increase or dose reduction or keeping the dose the same.
    Prozinc protocols we use here need mid-cycle tests to determine dose changes.

You haven't been able to do any mid-cycle tests for the last week, because of your work schedule.

I know, I know it's so hard for you to get any tests in the middle of the day or night with your schedule.
    I don't see anything that would have had me suggest you reduce the dose to 0.75U a week ago.

Even those 4 days you were away on vacation, and Middie got to come too!!!!, looked to me like she needed a dose increase, back on 2/13/20 to 2/16/20.

My guess, and this is just a guess, due to no mid-cycle test data, is that Middie needs a dose increase.

Pre-shot BG numbers are the last numbers to come down. They are not what you should be basing the dose on.

p.s. Can't figure out why in the world you fed Friskies Extra Gravy this morning? Her pre-shot test was high, at 349. She certainly did not need the higher carb food, to bring a low number up. Based on Guaranteed Analysis, that food is 9% carbs on a wet matter basis, 14% on a dry matter basis. 14.2% of calories are from carbs. Recommended is <=10% Used 2 different carb calculators.

4. Kathy & MiddieMittens

It was the friskeys pate extra gravy someone said that was ok im out of sheba and $ is tight right now so i have to use up what foods I have. I think it was the support group one. I thought she needed an increase over vacation also but i wasn't sure.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Thanks for explaining Kathy on the medium carb food you fed Middie this morning. You use what you have.
    Don't suppose you could trade any of the foods you have with foods at the shelter you work at?

You mean Feline Diabetes Support facebook group?
    Not Feline Diabetes facebook group?

p.s. Wish you had been able to post during vacation. Then, you would have known to do a dose increase.
    Hindsight doesn't help with that I know. But in the future, please ask. Happy to help.

Sometimes, I'll say " I don't know" or "I don't know for sure". Like today.
    But my gut says Middie needs more insulin.

6. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

If the food with the gravy is all you have, then use it. Just don't give her the gravy part. Oftentimes, the gravy is thickened with things like tapioca or corn starch and that's where most of the carbs come from. Giving her the pate part without the gravy, and that should cut the carbs down at least a little.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Kathy & MiddieMittens

I do have other f& f flavors but she is pretty picky. I can try thoes instead tonight. I think it was the support group sherry Griffith is admin im sure you will know what one im talking about then. I am using the reion primer compact meter because i have more strips of thoes and just wanted to use them up so im wondering if thats also the reason for higher #s because the prime is lower. But the premier is pretty close to the alpha trac. Ill be better about asking questions!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

It's not a crowd favorite due to the brewer's rice ingredients but if you're low on funds 9 Live Meaty Pate is cheap and low carb. 12 can pack is $4.22 at Walmart or $3.90 on Amazon with Prime. :)

Deb & Wink likes this.