Dosage upped, no impact?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mariana, Oct 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mariana

Mariana New Member

The vet had us go up a unit to 4 a couple days ago, is it normal that the numbers are not chaning and still very high? Does this take time to adjust or should it do something right away. I also changed Frank to Fancy Feast Naturals Chicken pate a couple of days ago. Feeling a bit defeated :(

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

It does and he may need more adjustments still, but we don’t recommend increasing or decreasing by a full unit as you can skip right past the ideal dose. We do it by .25 increments here. Feline diabetes is a marathon not a sprint and it can take a few months till you get them regulated. Be patient :cat:

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yeah he really is up there. You may have a high dose kitty like me. If he gets up to about 6 and still little change, have him tested for IAA and Acromegaly. My cat is acro. At one point she needed 12.5 units twice a day, although currently it's around 6 which is not bad.

I agree about not going in full unit jumps, but would do 0.5 unit changes at this point because you haven't seen any yellows. Starting today I would do 4.5. Are you testing for ketones? Has he had Bloodwork to rule out infections? Can you post the most recent labs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.