Dosage Changes

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Amy and Socks, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

Hi,

I just switched from Vetsulin to ProZinc about a week and half ago. I got some readings below 90 about a week ago, so I decreased the dose. He's been on 1.75 units almost a week now, and his numbers have been somewhat steady, so I increased it back to 2 last night to see if I could get him out of the yellows and into more blues. This afternoon he went back below 90 again, so I'm a bit unsure.

Perhaps I have my info wrong, but I thought I had read to decrease the dose if they go below 90. He's acting fine, and I haven't gotten any "dangerous" numbers (at least during the tests I've gotten), but I'm not sure if I should stick with 2 or go back to 1.75. What's the best way to know when to increase/decrease the dose (other than prolonged high numbers or really low numbers of course)?

Thanks for any insight!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. With the holidays, help is a bit sparser than normal.

Socks is looking pretty good and you are handling him well. You are correct that you should reduce the dose by 0.25u after getting a BG under 90 so your new dose would be 1.75u. The yellow range numbers you are now seeing may be a bit of bouncing which is normal after the lower numbers and will clear on it's own but may take up to 6 cycles to do so completely.

If you don't have half unit markings on your syringes, I would recommend getting some that do as it makes it much easier to make those small dose adjustments. The other alternative is to get U100 syringes and use the conversion chart we have here for even finer dose adjusting.

3. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

Thanks for the info. I hope you had great holidays! We've gone back to 1.75, and I'll try to stick with it longer this time. I think I did about 5 cycles last time.

I am currently using half unit marked syringes. Don't think I would've tried quarter doses without them! :)

Is 90 the same number you would use for adjustment regardless of human or pet meter readings? I'm working on making the switch to a human meter, so I want to make sure I know what to look for regarding dose changes if/when I do.

Thanks again for the assistance! :D

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes you can use the same reduction point of 90 for either meter. :)

Amy and Socks likes this.
  5. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

Socks seemed to be doing better- staying in the 100-200s, and I thought I understood what was going on. Then I got two readings below 90 on two consecutive days, so the dose was lowered by 0.25 units each time, and he was down to 1 unit.

His numbers started to creep back up some and we ended up increasing back to 1.25 when he didn't go back down after 3 days at 1.

Should I have done the two decreases originally? Should I have stayed at 1 longer? How long should I stay at 1.25 before increasing if numbers remain the same? I know dosing isn't based on AMPS and PMPS, but I'm not able to get middle of the day numbers often. I did go home at lunch today to get a reading so I could see how low he's going.

I also just got U-100 syringes, so I'll be able to do smaller increases/decreases in the future if needed (and I know to use the conversion chart since ProZinc is U-40, not U-100). :)

Any guidance on what I should be focusing on now would appreciated- thanks!