? Dora 2/19 AMPS 183 AlphaTrack

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dora the Explorer, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Last thread (old) https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dora-amps-181-but-not-eating-well.241324/

Hi all, just needing a push in the right direction. I feel as if every time I see a good but low preshot on Dora I panic and shoot lower or later or give her some Dr. Elsey’s and she goes back up and then her old dose won’t ever work again.

In my last thread. She was recovering from a bout of bacterial overgrowth in her gut and associated treatment. She had some black numbers and I never figured out why but she came down and was fine BUT stuck back in the 2-300s. I left her on the 2.75 dose an extra week because she got into some dog food and ate some rice another day but after her most recent curve I went up to 3 units.

This morning after only two shots at that dosage she’s 181. I’m where I always am - shoot lower? Shoot 3? Since 3 is a new dosage for her I am nervous and it seems so high. I want to go back to 2.75 and then just test her all morning but I don’t want to lose ground. Her lowest numbers usually don’t come till the end of the cycle anyway. I have about 15 minutes to decide or I fall off schedule and that sets her back too.

thoughts?

thanks !!!

Jame and Dora

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes, if you can monitor, you should shoot! you've shot these levels before :)

It looks to me that the 2.75U dose was held too long. Even with SLGS you increase every week. You've held it for a month!
    She needs more insulin. It's good you increased. :)

3. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Thank you!

I knew it was held too long. At first I wanted to see how she was doing with recovering from her illness and then she kept getting into high carb things. I’ll do the 3 and hold my breath. Just needed reassurance!
    Jane

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. It’s been quite a long time since I’ve been on one of your condos. Even when following SLGS the on shot number comes down with time. She’s staying above renal
    threshold way too much. Are you checking for ketones? I can’t recall why there aren’t any mid cycle night tests but I suspect she might be going into at least the 100-200 range at times. Good you are shooting.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

As long as you keep the "never shoot under 200" newbie rule you will never finish regulating. Once you're as experienced as you are, you start shooting at lower and lower numbers and watching the nadir.

The nice thing you will start to see is that keeping the cat below 200 all the time is EASIER than letting her ride up high and trying to bring her back down. Once the cat becomes comfortable below 200 she will start helping you out a bit.

tiffmaxee and Sue and Luci like this.
  6. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Well good thing I did the whole thing - she is into a bounce. Will keep testing throughout the day to see if she starts to drop again. I’ve never shot a low number with a full dose before - just close to it - so don’t know what to expect. I could tell she didn’t feel well as she has her head out in her “sick pose” and she’s been sleeping since having a bout of the crazies right after breakfast. I guess late afternoon will be telling.

Thanks for the encouragement!

jane and d

7. tiffmaxee

You won’t need to test a lot today as she’s bouncing. When the +2 is a lot higher than the preshot it’s not likely to be an active cycle. Just get a mid cycle.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  8. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Thanks. She looks miserable. Is it possible her dose is too high, if she never drops low? Is there such a thing as a chronic bounce? This is what happens when I reduce her dose but here it’s happening anyway :-( I was half an hour late with her shot but that shouldn’t be so markedly destructive, surely?

9. tiffmaxee

I don’t think her dose is too high. One suggestion is to get a PMPS every time. I think you hold the dose too long even with SLGS. Any chance you could switch to TR? You test enough but will need to trust us to guide you with low numbers. The 3.0 seems to be helping.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  10. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Understood. Yes I will try to be more aggressive. My husband has mastered the art of testing her alone so it’s all on him! I do the thinking and shooting. Thanks!

11. tiffmaxee

Just post and ask for help. One of us will guide you through the whole cycle. Consider trying TR. :bighug:

Dora the Explorer likes this.
  12. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

just wanted to respond to this - yes - check for ketones is always negative. We don’t test in the middle of the night but will start. We are sleep deprived with my sick Pomeranian right now :-( no excuse maybe for Dora but I thought she was heading in the right direction after she went to 2.75 then she ate some dog food and then she ate some rice so I didn’t raise her dose in case the carbs artificially inflated. I’ll keep her on the weekly dose evaluation now.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  13. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Holy cow spending the day in the 400s! What is the point? How long will this last? Is this normal when a dose is newly raised to drop low and bounce so high? Could she be sick again?

14. tiffmaxee

Bouncing is normal. It happens either because they reach a lower bg than they are used to or if the drop too quickly. When in high numbers for a long time due to not increasing often enough insulin resistance can set in. Requiring more and more insulin until the break through dose is found. With TR you increase every 7 days based upon a curve.

15. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Ok thanks. I’m even wondering, did I miss this morning? I don’t think so? Just gave second dose of three full units. She’s acting pretty normal, beating up her frenemies and being generally bad.