Doing Better, but then a donut hole...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lacy, Aug 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lacy

Lacy Member

Saff has been doing so much better since I joined this forum. We made some changes. We got her off of the Purina DM and switched her to one under 3% carb canned food that we half in the morning and at dinner along with FF 0% carb snack 4x a day. This made a BIG difference in getting her numbers in a better place than ever before. She's no longer having accidents outside the litter box and her pee and poo doesn't smell from a mile away anymore.

However, my kids left out a box of donuts today and she got herself a donut hole. Then she tested in the 500s.

So, my question is how long does it take for her to somewhat stabilize after something like that? I'm not sure how long it takes for a diabetic kitty to get rid of straight carbs like that.

My spreadsheet is growing, but it's not as consistent as I'd like just yet. I'm still struggling with drawing blood. I just can't get something out sometimes and don't want to poke her too much in one try. I'll get there.

Thanks for all the help.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

I don't think the carbs should stay in her system more than 24 hours. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Have you seen this sticky which has a lot of info on home testing? If you try warming her ear and massaging it gently, that will help blood flow. Sometimes you have to "milk" the ear after a poke to get enough blood.

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I was once told it can take a few days for carbs to work their way out o_O, hopefully it won't be that long for Saff.

Warming the ear is a great trick. Also, are you using the larger size (26 or 28 gauge) lancets to do the poke? The larger size is needed at first, then the ears grow more capillaries and you can move to the smaller size (30 or 31 gauge).

Donut holes! :rolleyes:

4. Lacy

Lacy Member

I have. I think my biggest problem is using the pen. Her vein is so small that I can't seem to line it up right. I think I do better with just trying to use the needle without the pen. I've watched all the youtube videos on it too. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

On a daily basis, what is the recommended testing amount? We are not in a stable place yet, so I feel like I should be getting the 2 preshot numbers as well as at least one mid-cycle, around the 6 hour mark after her morning dose. Does that sound about right or should I adjust?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. Lacy

Lacy Member

And I hope you're right on the carbs. I've worked so hard to get her on the lowest carb diet. What does she do? Find herself a ball of pure carb and sugar. I'm so frustrated with myself that it was left out and I missed it. We've really worked hard and I didn't want that to undo everything.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey at least it wasnt HALF a pizza...:rolleyes:
    Trouble loved pizza ( a product of his fist caregiver):mad:

7. Bandit's Mom

well, it's like offering french fries or a cupcake to someone on a keto diet! :D
    go easy on yourself. you're doing the best you can! :bighug:

8. Bandit's Mom

are you trying to poke a vein?

unfortunately, i'm not familiar with vetsulin so cannot advice on how many tests and when. with lantus or levemir, we suggest the pre-shot tests but at least one spot test per cycle. and at different times on different days so as to understand how the kitty responds to the insulin. so say a +3 and +6 one day and a +2 and +8 on another etc.

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Bad cheetah!! :eek:

With a face as cute as Saff's, I bet you couldn't stay mad at her for long, Lacy! :cat:

Here's a diagram of an 'ideal' 12-hour cycle for a cat on Vetsulin/Caninsulin:

[​IMG]

Before each dose you need to remove all food for two hours then test fasting blood glucose (AMPS and PMPS tests). Then make sure Saff has a substantial meal and wait 20-30 minutes before giving the insulin dose.

The best times to test after the dose is given are between +2 and +5 hours (on both cycles). This is typically the time when the insulin's effect is at its strongest and it will give information on the safety of the dose. Occasional test around the +6 to +9 mark will give you a picture of the duration of the dose. (This insulin typically peters out in the last 4 hours of each cycle.)

Probably one of the most important times to test for safety is just before going to bed since many cats run lower during the night.

Mogs

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  10. Critter Mom

WRT testing, Lacy, try warming the ear more and for longer than you're doing at the moment. It's one of the best things you can do to improve your success rate.

Mogs

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Mogs. I use the lancets. Couldn’t get the pens to work for me. You’ve seen this right? 2A14D796-C125-4844-98D3-85F7A0FB1349.jpeg

12. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

This is awesome. I’m saving this pic!

13. Critter Mom

14. AliceR

AliceR Member

Hi, I am having much more success controlling the lancets by hand. I put a thimble on the other hand as a backstop.

I just read this
    and realized I've apparently missed that. We just test - feed - shoot boom boom boom 5 mins max. I wonder if that could be part of Catman's trouble?

15. Critter Mom

The 20-30 minute wait between feeding and giving the insulin injection is only needed for insulins like Vetsulin/Caninsulin which hit quite hard and fast early in the cycle. Waiting that little while before giving the injection 'frontloads' the cat with food, ready for the insulin to work on. Lantus typically has a gentler onset so, as long as you're sure the cat is eating OK, there's no need to leave a gap between feeding and the injection.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.