does tumil-K = human potassium gluconate?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JJ & Gwyn, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I've been giving Gwyn potassium gluconate for years now. I was in the pharmacy last week for some other stuff, and noticed that they carry potassium gluconate there as well.

Is there any reason that I need to get one of the potassium gluconate products designed for pets, or can I just substitute in one of the human supplements? 'Cause it looks like it'd be easier and cheaper to get it from the drugstore than my vet. Thanks!

2. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

We used to give Tumil K to our cats too but switched to potassium gluconate. What you need to do is compare the doses of potassium on the back of the tumil K bottle to the dose of the potassium gluconate that you are able to get. We had to adjust the dosage alittle to be giving the same amount. I'm sorry I don't have the tumil K bottle anymore to remember what it says. Our Potassium gluconate tablets are 99mg/tablet if that helps you at all.

I hope this helps you a little!

3. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

<<<<<Is there any reason that I need to get one of the potassium gluconate products designed for pets,

Nope.

<<<<or can I just substitute in one of the human supplements? 'Cause it looks like it'd be easier and cheaper to get it from the drugstore than my vet.

Yep....much cheaper and is what I always use.

4. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

5. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Thank you both; I appreciate the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.