Does diarrhea/vomiting affect numbers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Purrberry, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Hello,

So Fred didn't have a great day yesterday. I could tell he was off, and at about 2:30 PM, or +5, he had a massive runny poo, and vomited immediately after. I attribute this to the Young Again...I've been trying to transition him by slowing upping a 50-50 mix of Dr. Elsey's Chicken and Young Again to all YA. This has happened once before when the YA caught up with him. If it continues, I will have to stop using it.

Anyway, I tested him at +10 (7:30 PM EST) because though perking up, he still seemed off. I was SHOCKED to see a reading of 139. I have NEVER gotten a blue in the AM cycle. By PMPS, he was at 305. Now I now have what I believe is a bounce.

So could diarrhea/vomiting affect his BG in this way? By +5, he hadn't eaten anything for at least 3 hours. His vomit was basically liquid.

Thanks for any eyes on this and his spreadsheet.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes, diarrhea/vomiting should decrease BGs since food is not being digested. YA is known to likely cause diarrhea. Is the Dr. Elsey's Chicken you refer to dry? Canned is better, have you tried feeding only low-carb canned?

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

The Dr. Elsey's is the dry. For his main two meals, Fred is fed a homemade, chicken-based raw diet. The dry food is just for snacks; Fred will not tolerate commercial canned of any kind, and I cannot leave out the raw. If the raw is left frozen/cooled in a timer, he will not eat it. I was aware of the potential for diarrhea with the YA, but was hoping to bypass it with a slow transition.

4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

@jayla-n-Drevon Thank you on both accounts! Fred and Drevon look alike! I had not heard of the Nulo, so I followed your link. Looks the like the carb content is somewhere around 20%? A few people have asked the question on Chewy, so I went and checked the Nulo website. Fred eats his dry more as full-on snacks, instead of just a treat. (for treats, he is OBSESSED with chicken PureBites!)

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.