? Do you ever skip an insulin shot when low?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by littleone, Oct 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littleone

littleone New Member

Our cat, Little One, read 39 as he was acting a bit strange right before dinner. The good thing is he ate tuna, a little of his regular food, and also about 4 treats with honey.

He usually ALWAYS gets 1.5 shot of lantis after he eats dinner. That is his usual shot regimen. Because he's so low, should we skip? Or should we never skip because it needs to be a consistent regimen?

By the by - you guys have saved his life more times than I could ever tell you. This forum... is an act of God. THANK YOU ALL.

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes plan on skipping the dose. You should also test several more times to make sure his glucose levels continue to rise to a safe level. Expect the AM reading to be much higher than normal. It may take a couple days to get back to his normal days.

We also recommend that you set up your signature and a spreadsheet to keep track of his glucose levels. The spreadsheet helps us to see how he responds to each dose so we can advise you if you need assistance.

Here are links to help you set up the spreadsheet https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/ and signature https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

You also need to reduce the dose of insulin to 1.25 units after that drop to 39 at the next dose.
    As Lisa said you may find he bounces after that drop and could be in higher numbers for a few days. But don’t be tempted to increase the dose. His new dose is 1.25 units moving forward.

4. littleone

littleone New Member

Thank you @Bron and Sheba (GA) and @Lisa and Witn (GA)

Our little guy is almost 20 years old so instead of testing him multiple times a day, we typically have a good vibe on him. He's had this for about 4-5 years now so we can almost feel when he's low or high. We monitored him pretty close when we changed his insulin (currently 3 morning / 1.5 evening) and he bounced like crazy and was miserable.

But I'll say it again.. he is so resilient and his life has been so much better due to this thread. He still plays at 19 years old. It is INSANE. I cannot thank you all enough for your time and efforts.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

What dose do you have him on now?
    Lantus does best when it is given as a consistent dose. Giving 3 units in the morning and 1.5 units at night is not a good regime. And relying on vibes and not testing is risky.
    I would strongly recommend you take a reduction in dose because of that 39. Otherwise you are risking a hypo.
    If you are currently giving 3 units in the morning and 1.5 units at night and want to stay with that regime……I would reduce those doses to 2.75 units in the morning and 1.25 units at night to keep Little One safe.

SashaV likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.