Diarrhea and ?missed a dose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Acadia and Vixen, Feb 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia and Vixen

Acadia and Vixen New Member

Hi all,

1. Switching from Purina DM to Friskies pate seems to be giving Vixen some wicked diarrhea. She's going straight runs 2-3x/day. (Was solid, daily.) And MAN does it stink. I transitioned over 3-4 days, and I suspect that wasn't long enough. I'm giving her 1/2 pack of FlortiFlora AM and PM now. Any other suggestions? Should this self-resolve as she gets used to the Friskies? Also her energy is lower, or she's calmer. I don't think she feels that great and is definitely gassy.

2. I had the lowest number I've had to Vixen last night (100) and the highest this AM (540). Does this mean maybe I put her PM dose in her fur?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Reason for edit: Added details
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Acadia.

I think that 3-4 days may well have been a bit speedy for the transition. It might be worth going back to mostly Purina DM and then make smaller changes to the proportions and hold each transition stage a little longer before the next proportion adjustment.

Another thing I'd suggest is comparing the ingredients in the different foods. If you can find a Friskies variety that's closer to the DM that might make the transition easier on Vixen's tum (and potentially give you pointers on which ingredients might not agree with her generally).

With regard to the malodorous faeces, I'd suggest watching the colour of the stool too. If it's pale and 'clay-like' then that might possibly point to a bit of inflammation in the pancreas. Might be an idea to give a call to the vet for further advice.

One thing that can also help with diarrhoea is Pro-Kolin kaolin and probiotic paste.

I very much doubt that it was a fur shot: Vixen's BG dropped 335 points between PMPS and PM+3, something not likely to occur if the dose had not been delivered properly. That's a huge, fast drop. Both steep drops and unfamiliarly low numbers are things that can trigger bounces - and Vixen's cycle last night ticked both boxes. Therefore I think this morning's high AMPS is likely to be bounce-influenced.

ETA: Lantus is really pungent. If ever you're not sure whether a dose has been properly administered give the fur a sniff. If there's any Lantus on it, there will be a marked smell of 'something very medical'.

Vixen landed on all four paws when she had the great good fortune to get you as a foster mum. :bighug:

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  3. Acadia and Vixen

Acadia and Vixen New Member

Thank you!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.