Diaper use

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Allison K, Jul 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allison K

Allison K Member

Has anyone needed to use a diaper for their cat? I have discovered to my frustration that whenever I have to take my cat to the vet (which requires a long bus ride) he pees in his carrier, which cause it is soft sided ends up getting onto ME and the bus (thankfully usually the floor) .... I have a found a diaper cover (in a "free to take box" at the vet) but not sure what to do about the diaper itself. I have seen diaper liners (look like maxipads) and even seen suggestions that one could use a maxipad secured inside the liner or a baby diaper with a tailhole cut.

Aside from vet visits, I had thought it might be useful for his emergency supplies as well.

2. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I used to diaper my old, sweet Llhasa Apso. I bought cheap, store brand disposable baby diapers and cut out a hole for his tail. It worked like a charm!

3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Also, have you tried lining the bottom, and going up the sides, with pee pads/training pads (or whatever they're called)? I need to start doing that when Jack's in a carrier because he poops and pees every time. But he's such a nervous Nellie that I think he'd lose it if I put a diaper on him. My Lhasa was very cooperative and willing to show off his cuteness.

4. Sherri & Moondance

Sherri & Moondance Member

I have a scaredy cat who used to pee (and worse) in the carrier. I started lining the carrier with puppy pee pads, which helped a lot. I also started spraying the carrier with Feliway Comfort Zone. I don’t know if it was the Feliway or just coincidence, but she stopped peeing in the carrier after that.

5. Allison K

Allison K Member

Yes I have tried that and still happened

6. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

It would be worth trying the diapers. Good luck!

7. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I will definitely try both!

Sherri & Moondance likes this.
  8. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

Trying to put a diaper on a cat who is already stressed enough to urinate is not going to go well and seems a bit cruel to me. Even if you do manage to get it on, the result will be a wet, stinky and more frightened cat. My recommendation is to line the bottom of the soft carrier with a waterproof pad and place a folded bath towel on top of that for better absorbency. Take along a replacement towel for the return trip and and a plastic bag to put the wet one in. Feliway or Rescue Remedy may help.

I suspect the bus ride is equally as upsetting for the cat as the carrier - more scary noises and strange people. If this is the only mode of transportation available, at least use a cover on the carrier to minimize anxiety and help the cat feel safer.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  9. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

@Ann & Scatcats gave this advice to another member, concerning plane travel. But it could work on buses too!
    "Buy kid diapers you can fold out at the bottom of the carrier so he can instant pee in them..."

This is what I'm going to try, along with some feliway. Thanks Ann!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.