Diangnosed 8-9

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by schlania, Sep 26, 2020.

1. schlania

schlania Member

Good Morning, I have a question about dosing with pro zinc, Blitzy was diagnosed on 8-9, pancreatitis, fatty liver, and possibly ibd has thickening of the intestines.. He has been on vetsulin, I finally found a vet to switch to prozinc, he was on 3 of vetsulin, she recommended 2 of prozinc to start.. Would this be the right dose?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi
    I'm very new to this and people with more experience will reply and answer your question.
    I'm only replying as Mac has recently changed from Caninsulin to Prozinc recently too. He was on 1.5 iu Caninsulin at the time of the change but was moved to 1 iu of Prozinc as vet wanted to make the change cautiously. He then went onto 1.6iu after the next 8 day full BG curve.
    As I say others will know much more of what is normal
    Gill

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  3. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi although our vet followed the same sort of pattern as you (as above) ie started us on less iu of prozinc than we were already on of caninsulin i don't know if that's the usual
    So I've tagged some people below who are much more experienced at this and know about prozinc so will know if going from 3iu of caninsulin to starting on 2iu of prozinc sounds about right which is what you were checking.

Hi ladies - I hope this works & is the right thing to do as I've not tried it before (if its considered rude or breaches etiquette I sincerely apologise so please do tell me! )

@JanetNJ
    @Deb & Wink
    @Panic

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Normally you switch to the same amount you've been dosing, but 3u is a little high starting dose to begin with. I don't see any data for 3u on your spreadsheet, only 2.5?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It looks like he was on 2.5 u of vetsulin... I think starting at 2 is ok. BUt don't hold it there too long if those numbers are still high. Prozinc tends to hit it's lowest around 5-7 hours after the shot... this would be a good time period to get a mid cycle test as often as you can.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. schlania

schlania Member

I fixed my spreadsheet, I up him .5 instead of jumping to 3.5 like the vet said. Then when the numbers were still high I jumped him .5 again.
    I dont know when to raise or by how many. The vet wants me to send her the numbers also, so I don't know if I should do a curve since starting new insulin?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

The Start Low, Go Slow dosing method has you maintaining the dose for 7 days. If nadirs (when BG is at its lowest, with Prozinc usually between 5-7 hours after insulin) are consistently above 150, you increase by 0.25 units. If BG ever drops below 90, drop the dose by 0.25 units and start your 7 day count over.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Tag away Gill! We are used to seeing tags to alert us to people that need help.
    Never be afraid to tag someone.
    But do know that we may not be signed on to the message board until much later, so we may not see the tag if someone needs immediate help.
    In that case, needing help right away I mean, the person should post a new thread in the Feline Health Welcome & Main forum.

Gill & Mac (UK) likes this.
  9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

You know how you are going to find out? By testing after you start the new insulin.
    Easier to increase the dose, than to deal with a hypoglycemic situation right off the bat with a new insulin.

p.s. Remember to update your SS to change the insulin you are using to Prozinc, Note the date at the top for the change over.
    Please put a big bold line in the middle of the SS, saying when you did the change. Color code that new row to make it stand out.

Having this information in your user id Signature is also useful. Right now, you only have the link to your SS in your user id Signature.

Gill & Mac (UK) likes this.