Diagnosed with diabetes again after remission

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kiki Thor, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiki Thor

Kiki Thor Member

Hello again! I have questions regarding rediagnosis after years of remission.

First, I’m wondering if I should try to change his food again. Originally we switched him to low carb (fancy f east pate) and that is what put him into remission. Is it possible to get him back into remission by finding a food with even less carbs, like a raw diet perhaps?

Second, I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions on the easiest device to take glucose levels at home? He is really not a fan, and wiggles uncontrollably. Are there different ways to do it? Last time he was diagnosed I spent ungodly amounts of money on getting the vet to test him (the office is two blocks away) but I want to do it myself this time.

Thanks in advance!

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hello! Sorry you're back at the sugar dance.

Is he still on Fancy Feast right now? You could switch to raw if you like but I doubt it will increases chances. Fancy Feast is a great option as-is, it's only 1-3% carbs. :) Can't get much lower than that!

Well, there's the libre meter. Kinda pricey, it's a sensor that stays on the kitty for (up to) 14 days. Usually falls off before that.
    Did you ever try testing him yourself or just at the vet office? Kitties can be convinced that test-time is fun if treats are involved!

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Bribery works really well to help get a cat used to testing. When you try to test, make sure you reward him with a low carb treat such as freeze dried chicken or fish. Even if you are not successful with the test, still give him the treat. Soon he will associate testing with getting a reward. Also, if you are nervous when trying to test, he will pick up on it and become nervous also. One trick is to sing a silly song when testing. It is hard to be nervous when doing something silly, but it does work.

Was any blood work done at his diagnosis? Another cause for higher glucose readings could be an infection. Also, if he needs a dental, that also can be a cause of higher numbers.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

yep silly as it sounds...it works

Critter Mom and Kiki Thor like this.
  5. Kiki Thor

Kiki Thor Member

So I went in for his first insulin shot this morning and I asked about home testing, but they said the human ones test higher than the one they use?? Is this true? They want me to just bring him there for testing again, but I’ve already spent $600 in the last two days there so I’m kinda stressed out thinking about it all adding up.

Edit: forgot to add that yes he has remained low carb since the original diagnosis in 2017ish

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Kiki Thor

Kiki Thor Member

So the reason I took him in is because he skipped dinner the other day (he never skips dinner) and they said he has a fever and gave him antibiotics. They did a geriatric panel after that and I just got the results today. Do you think his blood glucose could go back to normal once the infection clears? They never said what kind of infection or where, just that he has an infection. He got 1 unit of Lantus this morning and he’s going to go in for the whole day Friday to get a curve.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

The opposite, actually. Human meters run slightly lower than pet meters but it doesn't matter because we simply adjust accordingly. Normal numbers on a pet meter are 80-150 if I remember right. Human meter normal is 50-120. No biggie.

NO, you don't have to! My vet would have bled me dry if I let her - dropped $800 the first month and she wanted me to be doing curves every two weeks at $75 a pop. Your vet doesn't do anything fancy at the clinic when checking blood sugar, you can do it at home just the same. If they have an issue with it they can supply you with the pet meter and strips. ($$$!!!) Human meters have been used on cats a lot longer than pet meters have been on the market.

Yeah I would ask for specifics. Lab results and what "infection" he has. That can elevate BG. Did they do a fructosamine on him?

Yes, it can go back to normal after the infection is cleared. Assuming that's the only reason his BG is elevated of course.

Personally I would cancel the curve on Friday, you can home-test yourself at a fraction of the cost. These are trying times anyway, no reason to spend extra money just so your vet doesn't get butthurt. Just tell them you can't afford the curves and would prefer to do it at home. Your kitty (sorry I don't think I got his name!) will have a more accurate reading at home since stress visits jack up BG, AND he will be happier home with you.

Home testing tips
    An article on properly treating FD for caregivers (and the disappointment they have of vets discouraging home-testing)

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

FYI: Normal feline BG reference range as measured on a pet meter:

70-150mg/dL // 3.9-8.3mmol/L

(Source: my vet.)

Mogs

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.