Diabetes or cancer

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nikki’s Buddy, Sep 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

Did she have cancer or diabetes? Not sure yet where to go with this.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome, Nikki's buddy. I'm very sorry you lost your best friend, she sure did go through a lot. I do not have experience with cancer in cats (years ago, once of our cats died and a necropsy showed abdominal cancer, but we didn't know/suspect it because he showed no signs of even being ill up until his last day), but certainly some of the things that you showed could be related to diabetes.

Our first diabetic cat got that way from steroid injections for skin issues. Diabetes can certainly cause excessive drinking like you observed with Nikki, and it can also cause them to walk down on their hocks like she did. But clearly she had more going on than that. I will respectfully say that my approach for my own cats is different in two respects -- I absolutely think that blood work is a good place to start in many circumstances, and I also swear by B-12. B-12 injections are my first go to whenever any of our cats has GI issues, I've never known it to cause harm, and for that matter, if their bodies don't need it then they just pee it out. It is very helpful for our cat with IBD as well.

I know you have a big hole in your heart. I can tell what a huge part of your life she was, and how very much you loved her. Fly free little girl cat_wings>o

3. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

That’s only half of the horror story.
    Here is another piece of it.

4. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

Speaking of the B12, he gave her two injections, two weeks apart. While getting the second one, I found out he was giving her a B complex injection, which doesn’t have much B12 in it. So that day I asked him if I could do injections at home. He wrote me a prescription(not the methyl type) that I picked up that day and gave her another injection the same night, I think she is playing on the couch right after that. I was suppose to give them once a week, but by the end I was giving them to her daily. Just figured out also that the first two times I injected her, I thought she was having an allergic reaction to the B12, she started itching everywhere about 10 minutes later. That’s how bad the neuropathy was.

5. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

Looking back, why would that little cyst thing on her mouth be the cause of vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive thirst. I didn’t even know that thing was on her mouth, I thought he was talking about the bump on her lip.

I meant constipation, not diarrhea.

6. MamaLovesMomo

MamaLovesMomo Member

Hello,

I am so sorry for losing Nikki. All the pain she had, she was very strong to fight this battle.
    Thank you also for sharing this video with us. I am just a little confused because I watched the entire video. You said the first x ray- they saw the cancer, but the second one they did not see anything? Sorry- what does it mean.
    And the signs of the stomach cancers are vomiting, always itchy..
    and you mentioned also Liver. Did she has liver problem too?

Thanks again.

7. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

My veterinarian said X-rays showed stomach cancer. At the end, on a Sunday, I took her to a different place, 24 hour hospital just as a last resort and the doctor there said he didn’t see anything on the X-rays. He said that he would start with the liver because he thought she probably had anemia. After she died, I called my veterinarian and asked for a copy of the CBC results. That blood test pointed to liver disease, and it was not “really very good results”, and according to the time stamp, he sent the blood out to be tested and it was completed within 15 minutes at the most.

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

This is a travesty not of your making. I HOPE that groomer is out of business now. Your vet wasnt any help either. I feel bad for you. Poor Nikki is gone but maybe your video will help others.
    I am so very sorry for your pain and loss.
    jeanne

9. MamaLovesMomo

MamaLovesMomo Member

Hello,

Thank you so much for the clarifying this. I just asked another members whose cat got a liver cancer too. I asked if the liver values (ALT, AST, ALP), were all higher than normal values.
    — that was the problem I had encountered with most Doctors , whether Vet or family Doctor.
    —- after the blood test, etc.. all they say, “ ok, everything is good. They only say good to the “thing we complained about”
    — I learned a lot from it. My cat’s Blood work in January (she got phyothorax- fluid in the lungs. Was Hospitalized in ER for 5 days. She survived (Thank God), and went ok. But all the vetS did not mention to Me her BG(252)was already elevated that time, she went 2 hospitals (both took blood work, none of them mentioned about her BG) I was dumb and stupid not to take a Look at her blood work values- Being an Accountant/ Auditor as my Profession- I only checked the bill! The $ values, ughh!
    - until she got the sign in May of drinking and peeing a lot. It took 4 more months, which could have been avoided if I diligently look at her numbers.
    — I learned from it, from now on, “ I NEVER RELIED TO WHAT THEY SAY - OK, I realized they have no time to sit and look at all those numbers, it is our responsibility to check every detail. I now take all copies, including our own family blood work, x rays, Ekg, all results, as well as Momo’s and look at them one by one (google what they mean), and see what I can do myself to improve or at least do something.
    — my son’s friend’s cat, only 1 yr old was sent to Er for drooling. They took his blood test. I asked my son’s friend what they found out. He said none, and told him everything is normal and excellent blood work.
    —- I asked him to send me copies of his cat’s blood work for me to analyze.
    —- The cat’s BG (1 yr old), already at 160, Scr ( Creatinine - at 1.9
    —- I told my son’s friend, “well those vets always say ok, for 1 yr old, that BG IS ALREADY HIGH. As Well as his Creatinine.
    So I asked him to have him checked again.
    — we learned from our mistakes.. and thank God for wisdom and this forum.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  10. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

I didn’t complain about anything? I had no clue about diabetes. It also showed very low platelets. They called me the next day to see if I was still bringing her in for surgery, which was the day after the blood test. I said I don’t know, “you told me you would call me with the results yesterday”. She put me on hold and came back on the phone, and said “sorry, we didn’t get the results back until today, and they are really very good”.

11. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

So you guys are saying that this stomach cancer caused skin pain and infections, neuropathy in the rear and front legs, neck and tail, which she was walking on her hocks, extreme hunger and thirst, and vision loss for eight years?

Scroll down to “Complications of Diabetes” then goto peripheral neuropathy.
    https://www.catsexclusive.com/educational-resources/feline-diabetes

12. jt and trouble (GA)

I'm not saying it did or didnt. I'm sorry you and Nikki went through this horrible travesty.

13. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

Another question, is it common for the Lab ID to be blank on the IDEXX CBC reports?

14. jt and trouble (GA)

I have no idea maybe @Wendy&Neko
    can answer this question

If I can ever get this tag right.

15. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

Her BG on the “test” was 70.

16. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

The CBC results are at 4:40 in the video if you want to jump straight to them.

17. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

So those are considered “really very good” results?

18. jt and trouble (GA)

19. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

Do you agree that something isn't right?

20. jt and trouble (GA)

I cant interpret "labs" I have no idea what any of this means. Your grief is fueled by something right?
    Put it in the hands of the experts. I certainly am not one.:oops::(

21. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

This is a lot bigger than Nikki, I just don’t know how much bigger.

22. jt and trouble (GA)

Have you tried contacting PETA? Maybe they can guide you. They just might be interested in your case. The only other thing I can think of is just go lawyer hunting... BUT I would start with PETA.
    Thats all I got.
    I'm sorry for you and your babies pain. I wish you much luck with your endeavors. I hope you get justice and help others at the same time.
    jeanne

23. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

I think they are connected?

24. jt and trouble (GA)

PETA? connected with?

25. Nikki’s Buddy

Nikki’s Buddy New Member

26. jt and trouble (GA)

27. Nikki’s Buddy