dental health suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Christina & Kitty Cat, Sep 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christina & Kitty Cat

Christina & Kitty Cat Member

My sugar baby Kitty Cat has mild periodontal disease. He's not strong enough to go under anesthesia right now for a cleaning, so vet suggested prescription food, or treats. I bought some greenies.
    Questions: Will the treats have a negative effect on his diabetes? Are greenies actually effective? Is there a better treat out there for dental health? What else can I do to help his dental health at home?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

With Trouble I just used a wash cloth wrapped it around my finger and kinda rubbed each tooth. Well as long as he would tolerate it anyway. :rolleyes: Some days it was easy some not so much. He def had to be in the mood though.

Christina & Kitty Cat likes this.
  3. Christina & Kitty Cat

Ahh thanks jt! Kitty Cat usually knocks out after eating so I'll try it when he's asleep ;)

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi Christina and Kitty Cat!
    I'm an older member who kind of disappears for long duration's now cos life get's busy :(. Anyways, I was browsing through the forum again and saw your post. The first thing I want to say, and this is just *my opinion*, is don't bother with prescription foods or treats. They're costly and usually not good for sugar babies. I believe my boy has the same dental issue but I don't want to risk the anesthesia on him either. He's also resorbed some teeth, cos cats. I had asked a question like yours about what I could do as an alternative and found the old post response:
    "You can also forgo the toothbrush/toothpaste and do it the "natural" way. Cats in the wild keep their teeth clean by gnawing and scraping against bone, cartilage and fibrous meats.

Some raw chicken wings (cut into two pieces), chicken or turkey necks, even larger hunks of meat will help keep the teeth clean.

Also, very fibrous tissue like gizzards, liver and hearts will help keep those pearly whites in good shape!"

There was also a product recommendation that didn't show any signs of impact their glucose called PetSmile.

One additional thing that member told me was if your cat has never had raw food, start slow and small so they don't get a tummy upset/shock. Hope this helps. Good luck!

5. Christina & Kitty Cat

Thank you so much! I was also just reading through FDMB's FAQ on dental health. My sugar cat hasn't had raw foods before but does have a history of stomach sensitivity so I'll have to think about all these options...

6. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

So I could technically go out and purchase some chicken liver for my kitties and that will help clean their teeth? :eek:
    I have a tom who could use a cleaning ... nothing's bothering him they're just yellow, but I don't want to put him under for no reason.

I've been using PlaqueOff supplement for a few months now on everyone ... there's rumor that the cat variety lowers BG. Only thing is you don't want to give it to anyone with thyroid issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.