Day 1 not sure what to expect

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Amybee and Pandora (GA), Apr 26, 2024.

1. Amybee and Pandora (GA)

Amybee and Pandora (GA) Member

Day 1 of ProZinc and Pandora has had 1 unit at 6am and 6pm. I tested in between when I could around work.

She has had mainly reds, one purple and one black (PMPS).

Drinking regularly and she has eaten off and on but is now just spending all day lying right by her water bowl and she is just peeing where she lies. I need to get some puppy pads. I did clean her litter tray out with some washing liquid and a bit of bleach maybe she can smell it? But she hasn’t moved from her water anyway so she is just living in our downstairs toilet.

Not sure what to expect really out of day 1. Is this a reasonable start or should I be really worried?

is it safe to give that malt paste for constipation? I haven’t seen a poo for a couple of days.

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

You say she is eating and drinking? Has she ever had diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) before? Are you testing her for ketones? Do you have keto sticks that you put in her urine stream? I’m very concerned if she is just lying down and urinating without getting up. Is she getting up and moving at all?

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Anyway if my cat were jut lying down and not getting up to pee, I would consider that a medical emergency and have her at the vet right away. That is very abnormal. If a cat is just annoyed with the smell of their litter box she usually will just find another place to go but will get up and squat in the usual way. I’m very concerned by what you are describing. Can you take her to the vet. If she is in DKA, it’s absolutely an emergency.

4. Amybee and Pandora (GA)

Yes she’s eating and drinking - not eating loads but regularly - I tested for ketones this morning and the result was in between negative / trace (the reason for washing the litter tray!).

I can put the non absorbent litter back in the tray and try to test again.

I haven’t actually seen her pee so I am not sure if she is just peeing lying down, or getting up and squatting on the mat. She did go outside and sit on the patio for a short while earlier.

She has not had DKA before. I will do another test in a minute.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. Amybee and Pandora (GA)

I’ve just tested and she is 32.2 / 580 (Alphatrak) this is at +3 it’s as if the insulin has done nothing?

6. Suzanne & Darcy

I know what that’s like. Try to test again in another hour or two if you can. The onset of the ProZinc is about 2 hours so really I would expect to see some movement by +3, but maybe she needs a little more time.

7. Amybee and Pandora (GA)

Ok. Since testing, she has very keenly eaten about half a tin of food and drunk a little more. I will test again shortly.

Edit: she is eating Untamed wet fish in gravy. It is high protein wet food but I see it does contain tapioca. However the carb % is very low.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

How did you find out the carb percentage?

9. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m really happy to hear that she’s eaten more food enthusiastically! That’s a good sign! She’s so beautiful. She reminds me of my calico, Ginger, who is 17.

I am really glad that you posted here on the ProZinc forum. Keep me informed as to how she’s doing as you can. I will be very happy to help you. I am sure we will need to increase her dose from the BG numbers that you have been gathering. We need to give her a little bit more time though since she just started on insulin.

10. Suzanne & Darcy

11. Amybee and Pandora (GA)

Ok we have 31.8 (572) Alphatrak. Basically about the same as an hour ago :(
    She is quiet, but given she is eating and drinking and not vomiting etc., I am going to try to get some sleep as I’m utterly shattered. And I need to be up for 6am to do the next injection…

12. Suzanne & Darcy

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Okay. Post here tomorrow. I’m in the U.S. though so probably five hours behind you.

14. Amybee and Pandora (GA)

Thanks so much for your support this evening @Suzanne & Darcy I would have been going out of my mind on my own. I will update again tomorrow.