Curvin' it with Orion

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Airway, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airway

Airway Member

I've been wondering if I should bump Orion up to 3u. Today I'm in the process of doing a curve. We're only halfway thru but thought I'd post early and see if I could get some feedback.

Also, I'm wondering if it's normal for a kitty on Prozinc to have such a great range throughout the day. Sometimes I see numbers that vary by nearly 200. He will often start at about 400 prehot and be about 200 at +6.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Good to see you! We usually think of a 50% drop during a cycle to be normal. It looks too high to me (Assuming he doesn't continue to drop later in the cycle) I would increase. And I would increase every 3-6 cycles, depending when you can get midcycle numbers, by .25. IMHO, I think he is sitting too long in high ranges on the same dose.

Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  3. Airway

Airway Member

Thanks, Sue. That has been bothering me too. Too high for too long. My former diabetic was on Lantus and I didn't see such a great drop with him.

Rachel likes this.
  4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Lantus has a much flatter cycle. ProZinc usually looks like a smile.

Airway and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. Airway

Airway Member

Ok, that would explain why I'm not used to this!

Orion's curve is complete, and I gave 3u for his PM dose.

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep that's a pretty typical cycle right there!

Airway likes this.
  7. Airway

Airway Member

Well, this is interesting! I've been testing Orion today because I increased him to 3u last night. Everything looked very nice at first, but check out his +10. Is it too early after a dose change to pay much attention to this? What would cause this? :confused:

@Kris & Teasel @Rachel @Sue and Oliver (GA)

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Did you do a repeat test right away? Could be a wonky test strip. Did he get into any high carb contraband this afternoon? Could also be the beginning of a bounce. Hard to say. I'd just carry on to see how it plays out. No cause for alarm.

Airway likes this.
  9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...that is odd. I agree with Kris, though. No cause for alarm. It could be a bounce, some contraband, oh look a squirrel syndrome...in the end, it's just one number, one cycle.

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It could be that he ran a little lower today than yesterday and decided to bounce, but it could also be Rachel's "Oh look, a squirrel!" Just keep muttering to yourself: "Collecting data, collecting data."

11. Airway

Airway Member

Orion is my second diabetic. His older brother Triton was on Lantus and has been OTJ for 2 years. He was so much easier to regulate. Orion and I have been at this since August, and if you look at his spreadsheet you can see I've had a hell of a time trying to figure out how much insulin to give him. Is this the result of a different insulin, a different cat, or both? I know this requires patience, but I feel like as soon as we take a few steps forward we take a few back.

12. Kris & Teasel

Most likely factor right here. :confused:

Airway likes this.
  13. Airway

Airway Member

Then it fits his personality! I love my Orion dearly but he is definitely the most challenging of my trio. He's an expert garbage can raider and cupboard opener.

14. Airway

Airway Member

Small victory for Orion on 3u. His Preshot last night was under 400. :)

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Well, good. Looks like a plan for careful increases as indicated by testing may be the trick. That pink preshot was nice.

16. Airway

Airway Member

Another victory today! We're in the blue at +6. :woot:

Rachel likes this.
  17. Kris & Teasel

:) !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.