? Curve testing-new dosage

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angus' mom, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Angus' mom

Angus' mom Member

My vet wants me to do a curve at 1.5 units, but of course, lately, his nadir drops to the point that I'm giving something and messing up the numbers.(the panic numbers keep changing, but 3.8 is the lowest I'm willing to let him go) I have talked to him about going down in insulin but he doesn't want me to yet, he says he is very happy with the numbers. I am not sure if it was because Angus went DKA and the vet is trying to make sure it doesn't happen again. I tried to get a curve today, but at 3.8, I gave a bit of corn syrup to bring him up. So I'll try again tomorrow. ( I left a message to see if this curve is still viable and keep checking, I only missed 1 hour by accident so far) This will be the first actual curve that will have been done. He has seen most of my numbers, but nothing official. I have asked if they have Google Drive so I can just send them my ss.

However I want to try Angus at 1.25 to 1 unit and want to do a second curve to show my vet to see if he agrees that it is working(easier to ask forgiveness then permission) So....how long after reducing his number can I do a new 'vet office' curve? Do I have to wait a week, or will a few days or less cut it?

I have been trying to post on the ss, just having issues with it getting stuck in viewable only mode on sheets.

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I would not wait a week on the new dose. A couple of days should be enough for things to stabilize — as long as he’s not bouncing from low numbers.

3. Angus' mom

Angus' mom Member

The vets office called today and told me to put him to one anyways since I can't get a proper curve at 1.5 so yay!

4. Suzanne & Darcy

How is Angus doing? I was looking at his spreadsheet. I would not recommend feeding after nadir as it can really shorten the duration of action of the insulin. I noticed he had been eating later than that and his p.m. BG was up. Sometimes this is loss of duration. If you do need to feed after nadir then please only feed small amounts and as low carb as possible. Of course, when you are doing a BG test, even after nadir, you give a low carb treat.

What is he eating now? Fancy Feast classic pates?

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, by the way, I am really happy to see so much green on his spreadsheet. I want to ask how he is acting and feeling? How are his activity level and his clinical signs such as drinking water and urinating?

6. Angus' mom

Angus' mom Member

Hi he seems good, a bit off today and his numbers are higher ps, but other wise seems about the same. Last night he chased his i sister around for at least 30 minutes. Unfortunately with Angus, if he's hungry you have to feed him or he eats any thing he shouldnt and hopefully throws it up. Pretty sure he has pica. He's had 1 full exploratory surgery and several xrays over the years due to this. Also with the dka i know food is important. We have him on a set diet of ff pate the fish ones. Due to his siblings wanting it they've started getting it at his snack times to help make sure he doesn't eat too much. He is usually snacks at +4 and just before +8, I'm trying +7 but he isn't interested then. He's been getting this routine, even at night for a bit now, since he let us know his unhappiness by eating plastic and silk flowers and then puking everywhere. Little jerk.
    I did talk to my vet and he thought it best to feed him as long as it stops him eating all the other stuff.
    I was doing the 2x a day before that(once we switched to all wet for him)which was new for him, he was always a grazer.