Curve Q's

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Katana, Jan 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana

Katana New Member

Hi. Hoping you can help answer some questions for us. Misty is on 4 units of Lantus (likely too high), friskies pate, and currently using freestyle libre.
    -Freestyle libre sensor needs to be replaced, said "LO" before it died - is this normal? (She actually kept it on for 10 days!)
    -Will the katkollars work on a sneaky skinny kitty? Any other options to help keep the sensor on?
    -What should my target range be? What's an "acceptable" range?
    -At what numbers should I be concerned?
    -At what number should I skip/postpone insulin at meal time?
    -Can I give insulin early/late if she gets too high?
    -How fast does Lantus kick in?
    -How can I help her gain weight back?
    -I try to keep food out for her often, so what happens if she eats within 2 hours of insulin?
    -How much food does she need with insulin? Will a bit of dry food work if she's not hungry for wet?
    -Does excersize help with highs or lows?
    -How would small amounts of dry food (pill bottle amount or less at a time) with or without mild excersize affect sugars?
    -Anything else I need to consider?
    Thanks so much!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I had one Libre last for the entire 14 days. Two other only lasted about 10 days. After that time when I scanned it first said try later and then got message that said (I do not remember exact words) just that it needs to be replaced. I did get some LO's (<40) but those were expected based on data.
    I used a neck wrap. I also used a vest type harness when I attached the sensor too far back for the neck wrap. Some place the sensor on the body and use a child's onesie to cover the body. However, some cats do not tolerate a onesie
    one want the Libre (human BG instrument) to read lower than 70 or so and you want to be the minimum reading to be as close to that as possible. Like 90 or so.
    You really do not want to be lower than 50 on human device
    Without data we say do not shot below 200. With data one can go alot lower. I shot at a little over 100.
    I would not but sometimes that messes up schedule since Lantus like a 12 hour schedule.

I have to go now.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You might see some decrerase at about 4 hours. You may als see an increase in BG at about 2 hours.
    Feed more low-carb food.
    To better ensure that cat eats at shot time the practice is to take up all food 2 hours before shot time. I wouod also record how much food is removed. The get consistant BGs and dose, eating has to be consistant day to day.
    One desires a good about of food eaten before shot. One concern with feeing all day is if the cat does not eat the insulin can cause BG to go too low.
    I myself only feed twice daily and for some of my cats I shot them when they are finishing their food. I a very high BG and cat not eating is is generally OK to give some insulin.
    Exercise would tend to lower BG since it would burn up some of the glucose.
    Depends up the amount. I have some pill bottles that would contain 1/2 cup. I wouod expect the increase in BG by the food would be greater than BG decrease due to Exercise. it takes a little while for food to increase bg.

If you are going to use the Libre you can download to desktop or laptop the graph that Libre View produces and take a screenshot and post that here. You can also do that with screenshot from a phone if you use a phone as a reader.
    Most users here record BG in a spreadsheet that can be read by people in this forum. Here are the instructions
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    I do not use that since I find it too hard to do for multiple cats. Here is my writeup on using a Libre on my Badger. That was the first cat I tried it on.
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2359139/

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Lantus is given every 12 hours , it's not based on her BG is high

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

You have to pick up all food 2 hours prior to testing, you don't want the BG number influenced by food

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Most of us feed all wet food, dry food is high in carbs

Depending on how many cans of wet food you are feeding , you want to feed Misty
    the bigger meal in the AM and the PM

Mostly all of us feed smaller meals during each 12 hour cycle like a teaspoon or tablespoon
    Maybe 2 hours after giving insulin
    Then 4 hours after giving insulin
    Then 6 hours after giving insulin

Don't know what protocol you are following with Lantus , but if you are going to feed any dry food you cannot follow TR

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Four units does seem a little high, but you have no numbers for us to go by
    It would be helpful if you would set up your signature so we have some information about Misty

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

• when you get a chance ,It would be helpful if you can set up your signature so we don't have to ask you the same questions over again. Members will look at this first .
    • It appears after each post in gray, look at mine,

• On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

tap on your avatar where it says your name ,then hit profile page ,tap on that ,then go up to the very top, upper right hand side and tap on your name ,it will bring down a drop box, tap on signature, the signature will be under settings, tap on the signature then and you can start to add what I posted above, make sure you hit save ,
    Welcome to the best place you could ever be and an awesome group of people
    You can also add where you live in your profile, not your signature

This is at the bottom of every ones post in grey

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Also set up a spreadsheet and post the numbers you have, that's the only way members here can give you any advice about dosing
    We don't increase or decrease by full units, we increase or decrease by 0.25 units at a time. We use syringes with half unit markings.

You should start home testing , unless you plan on using that forever.
    We can help you with home testing.

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.