could use some prozinc guidance

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hillary & Maui (GA), Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm going to be kitty sitting Alexia's Blue for a couple weeks, I know Lantus, but I don't know prozinc, except that it works very differently than Lantus.

For the most part, I'll be able to stick with the 12/12 schedule, there may be a day or two that I can't.

As you can see with Maui's SS, I know how to microdose, aren't afraid (anymore) of low Bg's and know how to handle it.

I'll link Blue's SS and post accordingly. I probably won't do a daily post, as my schedule is busy, so I'm looking for guidance on understanding some of the basic differences between lantus and prozinc - such as shoot/don't shoot, is it ok to skip shots and when, etc.

Thanks!

2. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Hillary-
    I don't know a THING about prozinc, but just wanted to say YOU ARE AWESOME!
    How incredibly generous of you...and for 2 weeks!
    Can you come to Texas & sit Hank overnight sometime if I ever leave home again? It'll be easy...no more juice, just 18 mini meals, w/ water drips, warmed, rotated to find just the right flavors on just the right days. And chase him around to be sure he eats. You may have to bring it to him in bed on occasion.
    Hours of playing and loving on them...rub their bellies and talk to them & tell them incessantly you love them and how fabulous they are. That's pretty much it. @-) :lol:
    I'll leave wine in the fridge. :D ;-)

You are TOO COOL!

betty

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

you better leave a CASE of wine in the fridge! :lol:

how many times a day are you feeding? 18 :eek:

holy smokes! nailbite_smile

4. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

..a bit of an exaggeration to make the point....but as many times as he wants. ;-) ....4-8? Lately he's been liking the 4:30-5:30 AM freshener. I-) I hate him for that.
    Except I LOVE him..so what ever his majesty wants. @-) This is why I may never get to leave town again. Plus my civvie's dry bowl got banned to the garage when Hank got DX ...so he spends the day back & forth at that door in/out/in/out...just to know that he CAN.
    WHO is going to ever do this but me?? Timed feeders sure don't accommodate all the above. :YMSIGH:

I need a Hillary!....a CASE it is.

oh well, I never go anywhere anyway. :YMSIGH:

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Hillary, how nice you can help out with Blue, that is awesome!!! Both Sarah & Buzz and Ele & Blackie over in Lantus Land have switched this year from PZI to Lantus, so they may be good resources to give you some insight into the differences. I've never used Lantus, so I don't know too much about what you might need to know.

The biggest thing off the top of my head is that we generally don't shoot PZI on #s as low as w/L. Onset is more or less +2, nadir usually +6 +/- an hour or 2, and poop-out varies a lot but with many cats it's around +10 to +12. Only a few people that I know of shoot below 150, and then it's with a predictable cat who clearly has a need for low shooting (like has a really high zoom rate by +2). Most have a no-shoot of 150, 180, or 200 depending on comfort level & data/experience.

PZI is very flexible with early/late shots varying from 12/12. If it's a little variation you stick with the regular dose, if you are varying by more than an hour or two you would lower the dose on a early shot & optionally raise it on a late shot. With PZI you only shoot on a rising #. For the most part we skip a rising # test if shooting 12/12, but if you were to shoot at something like +8 you would definitely want to check for that.

Hope that helps! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.