Cool paws and ears

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

I have a cat with cool paws and ears consistently. he has kidney disease (they didn't know or look into the reason but he is about 9 years old) and is on benazapril 2.5mg per day.
    the vet said that he is on a dose to help blood flow to the kidneys and it shouldn't effect his blood pressure too much but low pressure could be a side effect of the drug. could cool paws and feet be a sign of low blood pressure or something else wrong? his kidney function was normal a few weeks ago when i had him rechecked after being on the drug for a couple of weeks. i'm wondering if i need to make another appointment to have him checked out this week. he hasn't had his blood pressure checked since being on this drug, the vet didn't suggest it. i'm not even sure if this has anything to do with blood pressure of it could be something esle. thanks.

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I know in people that cold fingers and toes can be a circulation problem.

A few years back, the vet scripted benazapril for Lily because of her CRI. I didn't give them to her because the vet hadn't taken her blood pressure. When she went back for a recheck in 3 months, I asked for a BP reading, which was normal. The vet said I did a good thing not putting her on the med.

That's my only history with it. If it were my cat, I would have the vet take a look, including a BP cehck.

V

3. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

hi, i'll take him in next week. my vet said that he wasn't giving it to my cat to reduce high blood pressure (his bp was only 136) but to increase blood flow to the kidneys. he didn't prescribe any subq fluids for him either which is the exact oppostie of another one my cats that has kidney disease (cause unknown in both, the didn't check into it). do you think that I should ask to have my cat taken off the benazapril and see how his kindneys do? he didn't check for protein loss in urine before putting him on it either which i've heard is another reason for cats to be on it. he checked after he'd been on it 10 days though and there was no protein loss. i was mad that he didn;'t do more tests before putting him on the drug and didn't understand why he gave this cat a completely different reginme that my othe rkidney cat (she's just on fluids) but what the heck am i supposed to do???!!! I am so tired of fighting them on everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.