Cookie - do I stop insulin?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ilse - M - T - P, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Ilse - M - T - P

Ilse - M - T - P Member

Happy New Year!

Could someone please have a look at Cookie's spreadsheet?
    He is in blue and green numbers on 0.25u prozinc.
    How long does he have to be in these numbers before I can stop insulin?
    I tried to stop insulin before, but his levels went up after 3 weeks without insulin.

Any feedback is appreciated!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

One housekeeping chore please. Drag those 2021 tabs over to the far left please. Thanks.

I think that Cookie is a bit too high still to stop the insulin completely. I don't think he is ready for a dose reduction to 0.1U either.

Ideally, you want to see pre-shot tests consistently <100, preferably in the 80-100 range before you stop insulin.

3. Ilse - M - T - P

Ilse - M - T - P Member

Thanks... I updated the spreadsheet.
    Will his curve flatten out when his numbers get lower? I don't want him to go into hypo by shooting 0.25u at 100.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Looks like Mango already is getting a pretty flat curve.
    Use your best judgement in deciding to give him an insulin dose or not.
    I would not shoot if the BG level is <100 mg/dL either.

There is one smaller dose you can try. That would be 0.1U of insulin. It's hard to measure in a U40 syringe, but you can practice with a used syringe and some colored water. See if you can get as close to the bottom black line on your U40 syringes as you can.

These pictures show a U100 syringe, but the concept of plunger placement near the bottom of the line, nearest the needle, is the same with a U40 syringe. These U100 syringes have half unit markings on them. Not sure if you use U40 syringes that have the half unit markings on the syringe barrel.

01unit-1.jpg
    Do the best you can, to keep that dose consistent.