Continuous Glucose Monitor

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elisaelaine21, Oct 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elisaelaine21

Elisaelaine21 New Member

Has anyone used a continuous glucose monitor for their diabetic cat? My cat, diabetic and insulin dependent, for one year, has had some unexplained low blood sugar levels recently. He got a continuous blood glucose monitor placed that works for two weeks. I was just wondering if anyone else had used this?

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I can tag a member that has used this, you are talking about the Freestyle Libre correct
    @PerfumedCatMom

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi if you would like some help

Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help

If you would like to set up our spreadsheet just ask and I can ask a member to set it up for you so we can see what's going on

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This is a link to a discussion about the FreeStyle Libre on our Think Tank forum. The biggest concern that people have voiced is related to cost. It's $60 for each sensor. The sensors are supposed to last for 2 weeks. However, cats being cats, they will sometimes scratch or knock them off.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

6. Stephanie & Johnny

Stephanie & Johnny Member

I saw that free offer and was considering trying to see if I could get it to go through for my boy. Were you successful? I’m wondering if they wouldn’t verify the prescription and see that it came from a veterinarian.

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I received it for free. WHen you fill out the form on the Libre site do not say it is for a cat. Say you are a caretaker, which is true and put down the correct age of the cat. Unless your cat is younger than 4 you can get a Libre2. The older Libre 14 day is 18 and older. When I got the scrip which does not involve Abbott, and gave the pharmisist the Abbott coupon you get after filling out the form, the pharmisist checked and said it was accepted. Unless you have a phone compatible with the FreeStyle app, you also need to get the dedicated reader which is also free.
    https://freestyleserver.com/Payloads/IFU/2021/q3/ART41556-102_rev-B.pdf

8. Stephanie & Johnny

Stephanie & Johnny Member

Awesome!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.