Commercial dry cat food for kidney disease

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi my cat is 13 and has kidney disease for 2 yrs. Stage 2. He's been eating Iams Healthy Adult Dry chicken flavor for years. I have tried several RX prescriptions but he will not eat it. From what I understand I should look for a food that is low in phosphorus, protein that is not that high and a fat content that is on the high side to compensate for the low protein, is that correct. Has anyone found a dry cat food that you can buy in a store that is suitable. Again he will not eat any dry Rx or wet food . Thanks

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

The best thing for CKD is a low phos wet food, but that won’t help if he won’t eat it! It’s not available in stores, and I’m not sure of the phos content, but DR ELSYS dry claims to be good for preventing CKD. If you scroll to the bottom of the page they have links about it. If you call them they can probably tell you the phos content as well as send you a sample. I would still keep trying to get your cat on a wet diet as moisture is very important in managing CKD.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi, sorry I don't personally know of any dry cat foods that are suitable (I'm in the UK), but another option could be that you add phosphorous binder to a dry food. The binder doesn't mix as easily as it would into a wet food, but if you mix it up well the binder may absorb (or stick to the food) if left overnight. I should say that I've only tried this with dry treats, not with dry food itself, but I'm guessing the principle is the same...

Many people with cats who have early stages of kidney disease feed our kitties foods with good protein content. The idea of feeding low protein diet is not considered as valid these days, as cats with kidney disease are prone to losing muscle mass, and so really do need decent protein in their diets to help counter that. This is not the case however with late stage kidney disease, where it may ultimately be necessary to feed lower protein.

Do you know about the Tanya CRF website, there is a fantastic amount of info there.
    https://www.felinecrf.org/

I do agree with Sharon (above) that it is well worth persisting with trying to get your kitty onto a wet food if at all possible. Water is so important for kitties with kidney disease. (But just be aware that switching to a wet food would likely reduce the carb content of the diet, and any insulin dose may need to be reduced.)

Can you just confirm; is your kitty diabetic also?
    Are you testing his blood glucose at home? Do you have any recent blood glucose test data?
    If the diabetes can be well regulated that can really help a kitty with kidney disease, as there is less work for the kidneys to cope with.

Eliz

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

From what I've read dry food is Bad for any cat. Dr. Pierson has a very good article about why NOT to feed Dry food. It's on the Feline Diabetes Forum.
    My Kitty also has stage 2 Kidney disease. I started putting Phosphorus binder in his food that isn't low in Phosphorus.
    Have you checked out Tanya's Guide to Kidney Disease? A lot of very good info about about what to feed & how to help your kitty live a longer life with Kidney disease.
    http://www.felinecrf.org/phosphorus.htm

Best of Luck to you & your kitty. (the more you read & learn about what to do the more you'll be able to help your cat)

:)

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.