Comet AMPS @ 215

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda Comet’s Mom, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Amanda Comet’s Mom

Amanda Comet’s Mom Member

Hey guys,
    Over the last few days Comet’s glucose has been fluctuating oddly. Usually he is on a pretty good trend and we were seeing lower numbers between 100-150. Well, last night his numbers were odd. AMPS 181, +3 182, then PMPS 161 and +2 183. Now this morning he was 215!
    we have never seen a number that high. The only time we saw a number that high was when the vet took him for a glucose curve. (Which he hates the vet)
    So, we ended up upping his dosage from 1.25u to 1.5u this morning. He has been on 1.25u for 6 days.
    I know he is still very new on insulin, but part of me worries about insulin resistance. Would we know that by now? What does insulin resistance look like?
    Please be kind, constant worrier here! :(
    Also, I notice his numbers are higher the days we gave him his liquid Gabapentin, is it possible Gabapentin can raise GC levels?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

183 and 215 are within meter variance of 20%, so essentially flat. He is seeing lovely flat cycles, but yes he does need more insulin to nudge him into healing greens.

Have you been able to take a look at our dosing protocols and pick on that suits you? We would tailor our dosing advice accordingly.

SLGS: You hold a dose for 7 days (unless a reduction is earned). You decrease the dose when the BG falls below 90 mg/dl (on a human meter). The aim of this protocol is to keep the cat in the 90-150 range. This is more suited for caregivers who can't test as much as TR requires. You do a weekly curve with SLGS.

TR is a more aggressive protocol with increases as often as every 3-5 days. Reductions are earned when the BG falls below 50 mg/dl (on a human meter). The aim is to keep the cat in the range of 50-100 (which is the normal BG range for cats). To follow TR, you would need to get at least one more test per cycle in addition to the pre-shot one i.e. 2 tests per cycle or 4 tests per day. You would also need to be feeding only LC canned food and no dry food.

Have you thought about switching to a human meter? Much cheaper strips. Strips for the ReliOn (Walmart) are only $18 for 100 strips.

Tagging @tiffmaxee about your question on Gaba since I don't have any experience with it.

Link to your previous posts:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-often-do-you-test-gc.254316/
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/semglee-insulin-question.254261/

3. Amanda Comet’s Mom

Hello! Yes we are doing SLGS as that fits better for our busy schedules and Saturday I will be transitioning him over to our Relion meter as the AT2 is so very expensive for strips and seems very inconsistent at times. The only issue is I’d like to keep my AT2 numbers but have my new GC numbers be for Relion. Or maybe it would just be best to have a new spreadsheet made with all the old numbers converted but keep a copy of the old for records in case we decide to go back.

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

With SLGS, you hold doses for a week. You are testing enough for TR. It requires a minimum of 4 tests per day. A preshot and a mid-cycle test for every cycle.

You can keep the same spreadsheet. There is a small formatting change that needs to be made when you switch between pet and human meters. Let me know when you make the switch and I will make the changes to the SS.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. Liquid gabapentin might contain a sugar substitute that is toxic for dogs but not known about cats so worth asking about yours. I don’t know if it could raise bg. Why does she get it? You won’t need to have the evil cat run another curve if you test like you are. The only curve Max ever had done by my vet was after his first shot. I sent him the spreadsheet every few weeks but dosed based upon the methods used here.

6. Amanda Comet’s Mom

He is on it for arthritis and severe hip pain. Also yeah never wasting money on that again. I shared my spreadsheet with her