? Coda bit of nausea?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Coda (GA), Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda (GA)

Coda (GA) Member

Past few days coda has been less than enthusiastic about eating. He'll want to eat, start, and then walk away. (I end up picking him up and making him continue to eat) I have recently took him off YA zero dry and he's eating canned food and raw (which he LOVES until 2 minutes later when I think nausea is hitting..) The past few days he's eaten about 3oz canned FF classics and 1-2oz raw (so at least 150 calories a day) but it takes a lot of persuading.. he was eating chunks of raw just a couple days ago, I don't think it's dental pain..
    There is no vomit or diarrhea
    Possible dehydration from not eating moisture from food, but I can't be too sure

Any suggestions for nausea in cats? OTC anti-nausea options? Maybe certain type of food? I'm *assuming* this is occasional
    What do I do if he continues to refuse to eat and isn't getting enough?
    Is this maybe a side effect of being new to insulin? Can bouncing cause nausea in cats?

Thank you!
    Rebecca & Coda

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi! Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in but I remembered a post last week that their kitty sounded like yours, wanted to eat but then kinda lost interest. Here's the thread: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/eating-problems.173564/#post-1902609

As for possible dehydration, there is the skin snap "test". Just pinch a small area where the skin is looser, like scruff, and see how fast it snaps back down flat. If he's hydrated it should go flat relatively quick. If he is dehydrated, then it will stay more like the pinched tent.

Coda (GA) likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I have no experience feeding raw but have read on here that some kitties take to it really well and others not so much. Maybe experiment with no raw for a day or so to see if it makes a difference.

Coda (GA) likes this.
  4. Coda (GA)

Coda (GA) Member

Ok I'll stick to more canned and see, maybe his digestive system isn't ready to process raw yet and his stomach is upset.. I know that raw helps kitties with GI problems so maybe it's just adjustment

5. Coda (GA)

Coda (GA) Member

Thank you! I think he might just feel a bit sick from food changes. I don't think he's dehydrated anymore

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Are you giving Coda any probiotics? Cats who have never had raw all their lives may have lost the proper enzymes to digest it. If he can handle dairy, alittle plain Greek yogurt, or you can add a probiotic to start. A slow transition might help.

7. Coda (GA)

Coda (GA) Member

I'll give him some more fortiflora to see if it helps, he's never had any dairy before so a little apprehensive about giving him some since he's not feeling to well

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I might hold off on the fortiflora - there is supposed to be a new formulation of the product that's not as good (ie. I've heard it cause diarrhea in some cats).

9. Coda (GA)

Coda (GA) Member

Yikes.. I started him on a little sprinkle when giving him canned food as an enticement to eat back in January.. at least he never had the whole packet for serving and therefore no diarrhea... good to know though! Might try a little plain yogurt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.