CKD/DM cat starting to be picky with food...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by StarburstMom, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

Thank you all for all your help so far, but of course now that we are starting to see some results on Starburst's BG readings (slowly but surely) she is starting to get a bit picky on what she will eat. I am withholding food 3 hours prior to her insulin but still she is starting to turn her nose up to the "best" food for her. I have gone through the food charts and am feeding low carb/low phosphorus foods to try and get her phosphorus level down (I did start phos-bind a few days ago too). However she wants what the other cats are eating (friskies pate). She has refused all shredded/morsels, anything that isn't pate, for the last day. I did give her friskies (1.3 phos) this morning with phos-bind so it will bring that down some, but not enough (but I need her to eat too). The thing is, I can't spend a fortune on food, can't afford it, and have 5 other cats (and 2 kids and 3 dogs) so I need to be practical here. She (and all the cats) used to be on Hills prescription c/k the carbs in that food is insane (45%), but the phosphorus level was not bad (0.76% per chewy), so I am at a loss as to what food to try now. I worry that the friskies with phos-bind is still too much phosphorus. Today I am going to try to feed her every 6 hours instead of every 3 in the hopes that she will be hungry enough to eat the steak frites. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The phos-bind is a good product and will do it's job as long as it's included with every meal.

I had a similar problem with China....all the foods that were "good for her" were 1. too expensive for me to really afford and 2. she staunchly refused to eat.

3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

You could try using toppers. I know that toppers got Jack to eat raw food when he was first introduced. As suggested in the Health Links forum, there are these ideas there:
    "sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - halo chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food -- my Wolfie loves this stuff.
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    -powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat."

I use freeze dried shrimp or freeze dried duck liver as toppers. I've also used nutritional yeast, but only a little is good for CKD kitties.
    Good luck! It's challenging to change their diets when they just like what they like.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    StarburstMom likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

And as soon as you figure out the favorite 2-3 flavors/brands they like, they turn their noses up at it....usually right after you've paid for at least 1 case of each

upload_2021-7-22_15-18-59.png

StarburstMom likes this.
  5. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

Haha...exactly. I have a half case of Truluxe Steak Frites left, that's $30. None of my cats like it now. Such divas

6. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

So true! I should have said that they like what they like...until they don't!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.