Changing to Bexacat/Senvelgo

7helenbaker

Member Since 2026
YES TO NOT FROM. Internal medicine vet is talking about changing from Glargine to an oral med and want to set up a meeting. I have read this a definite NO GO on multiple platforms, studies and from the actual drug information. There was one article suggesting that insulin be discontinued, out of the system and then oral meds started. So many side effects. Is there something I am missing. So many alarm bells going off in my head.
I increased the dose to a fat2 and he responded - too well, Thought we were getting somewhere and was ready to drop to a skinny2. Was told to keep at 2 and bg to run high. This is a foster cat so I have no control over the vet. I am trying to follow instructions but from everything I have read and living with cat, seeing how small changes affect him it all seems wrong. Does anybody have any experience with this?
 
YES TO NOT FROM. Internal medicine vet is talking about changing from Glargine to an oral med and want to set up a meeting. I have read this a definite NO GO on multiple platforms, studies and from the actual drug information. There was one article suggesting that insulin be discontinued, out of the system and then oral meds started. So many side effects. Is there something I am missing. So many alarm bells going off in my head.
I increased the dose to a fat2 and he responded - too well, Thought we were getting somewhere and was ready to drop to a skinny2. Was told to keep at 2 and bg to run high. This is a foster cat so I have no control over the vet. I am trying to follow instructions but from everything I have read and living with cat, seeing how small changes affect him it all seems wrong. Does anybody have any experience with this?
Have you shared this with your vet?

Dear Vet Letter about safety when using Senvelgo in certain cats

There was a "Dear Vet" letter that went out from the FDA warning against this. From the letter:

CONTRAINDICATIONS: Senvelgo should not be used in cats with diabetes mellitus who have previously been treated with insulin, who are receiving insulin, or in cats with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. The use of Senvelgo in cats with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, or the withdrawal of insulin and initiation of Senvelgo, is associated with an increased risk of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) or euglycemic diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA with a normal blood glucose concentration) and death.
 
Back
Top