Cats may not like eggshell powder, what calcium source should I give?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger Member

Hi all,

I have been using Dr.Lisa's recipe for a year but I suspect that the cats don't like eggshell powder. I am considering using Calcium Carbonate tablets mixed in the meat as a replacement because it does not consist of phosphorus. Any recommendations for brands?

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Egg shell powder is low in phosphorus as well Peter. Is it because the cats won’t eat it, you want to change?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  3. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

it is just my spectculation that the cats dont like the taste. because when i taste the raw meat in my month, i think egg powder make the meat less tasty

4. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Hi Peter

In Sweden we use Human Graded Natural Pure Source Pharmacological Swedish Brand Standardt for cats since 1989.

Both the ordinary Calcium Carbonate Plus (with D vitamin)
    and
    the Milk acidated/Lactic acidatede Calcium Carbonate (with minerals)

upload_2021-7-23_4-32-30.jpeg

You have to do that maths per day per kilo food when adding, so you add the right amount.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I don’t think cats notice any taste. Clover, one of my cats gets ESP every day and always eats her food.
    Remember you have different tastes to cats. Personally I can’t think of much worse to eat than raw meat with ESP but cats love it.
    ESP is actually an excellent option for ensuring they are getting their calcium.
    I would not use any product that has extra vitamin D in it.

6. Ann & Scatcats

Calcium + D vit + A vit + fat goes together.

and

Iron + C vit

I think Mr Peter knows that, he is a Biology Scientist.

7. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

Hi Ann, I just search the year 1989 thinking if it is about something like animal rights but I find nothing, Sweden sounds like a very good country for animal rights. I tried to search the brand you showed in the picture but I cannot find anything. Pharmacological Swedish Brand sounds very high class compare to the supplement industry. Is that for cats or humans?

8. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

Haha, I am flattered to hear that, I am just a wannabe scientist who works in corporates that has nothing to do with science. Do you make your own food for your cats?

9. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

Don't they notice any taste? Because I thought if I can notice it then they can notice it as well. I read from Feline Nutrition Foundation that ESP should have very little taste but I am not sure. I think I can try to replace ESP with Calcium Carbonate maybe for few weeks to see if there is a change, if not then I can change back to ESP.

10. Ann & Scatcats

It can be used for all Animals, Birds, Cats, Horses, Cows, Humans.

Yes, we have very good Animal Rights Laws, and strict.
    I wish we had the Animal Laws translated into English.
    Perhaps you can run all this Law Text through a translator
    State Authority https://jordbruksverket.se/djur/hastar-och-sallskapsdjur/katter/sa-skoter-du-din-katt
    The Government Law Text in full https://www.riksdagen.se/sv/dokumen...ssamling/djurskyddslag-20181192_sfs-2018-1192

The word in Swedish concerning Food, is Foderstat. Only The Highest Quality Foods.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.